cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezer Space - Smoke a Turkey

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I still have a couple frozen turkeys from Thanksgiving and want to reclaim some freezer space so I'm doing a 13 lbs turkey today. I brined it overnight in one of my customary kitchen cupboard brines where I use half my spice cabinet and a cup of salt and a cup of brown sugar. For a rub I'm using Weber Garlic & Herb seasoning and filled the cavity with onion, celery and carrots. The smoke took 5 hours to reach 162 IT and was placed in a cooler with towels to rest for about an hour and a half. This was probably my best turkey to date.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
6 REPLIES 6

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Smoked turkey sandwich with avacado and cranberry for lunch today. I was mentally ready to get the new smoker dirty yet so this was smoked in my big smoker.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
SD, looks like you could start your own smoking magazine with photos like that
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Most would say this is not truly "smoking", but you can easily cook a whole turkey on a full size Weber charcoal kettle grill. Get the coal brackets that hold the charcoal off to the side. After the coals are going good, add your favorite wood chips. Use a grip pan in the middle. I would recommend a interior thermometer or even one of those fancy automatic temperature control fans (Pitmaster IQ) for your Weber kettle grill.

I have never brined or used a rub, but it still comes out excellent.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Admirable meat slicing job you done there. Looks very professional.
What time did you say lunch is? :B

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
Dave, was that the inaugural smoke on the new DC?

Regardless, looks tasty.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great!
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed