cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Ideas

toddm79
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. I just purchased my first camper and its a toy hauler. The girlfriend and I ride ATV's and I have a motorcycle, and my son (3 months old at this point) will eventually be into this type of stuff i'm sure (If I have anything to say about it, ha) One thing I immediately noticed is that toy haulers have less storage space than traditional campers. I bought a 2017 Coachmen Catalina 26 TH because i only have a half ton truck, so I had to keep the weight down. And at 5400 lbs, this trailers is just that. Light. 2 things I'd love to add is a place to put the spare tire, and an external toolbox. I'm also looking for other storage ideas too. I've been looking online and it seems that this floor plan (Same as the Grey Wolf 26 rr) is relatively new and I'm not seeing many people who have experience with it. I imagine someone on here would though. So, thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I just load everything I can in the toy hauler I use clear containers with lids and when we arrive I just move those containers outside along with my rolling tool box. You'll see others do the same. Some others have roof storage but I hear if your rig didn't come with a ladder don't go up there! 19'ft Attitude
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Bedlam
I also had a spare tire carrier under the chassis aft of the axles. I have seen spares mounted on the ramp door which did not affect its use.

As others have pointed out, your 1/2t will be close to its maximum capacity. I would worry less about GCW and more about the rear axle weight and receiver capacity. Getting real world trailer tongue weight and truck rear axle weight with the toy hauler filled will give you an idea where you may need spend some money on upgrades (higher rated receiver or tires).

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I'm assuming this is a bumper pull? Most 5ers have pass through storage. My old tow behind had the same problem. I added a cheap set of drawers from Wal Mart for our clothes just inside the door, that helped. Aside from that the back of your truck with a cap or tonneau cover is the next choice (I had a locking tonneau and it worked great.

But with a 1/2 ton truck be careful, won't take much to be over your GCWR.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a bumper-pull TH with a truck with a canopy. I have big tubs, heavy duty, in the back of the truck, and slide them in and out. Also keep the firewood and chairs there.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats!!!! Most of what we carry goes inside our hauler, even with a pass thru storage bay under the front that's full. Spare tire can go underneath the rear of your rig, plastic totes for easy storage inside. Front tool boxes can be bought online.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad