cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

buying from a private seller

jgkeeto
Explorer
Explorer
we are planning on buying a MH from a private seller and I have a few questions that i hope someone can help with.
we are not paying cash but will finance the purchase from a bank or someone.
so does anyone know the process to go through for getting the MH in our possession, what i mean is, how does the bank give the money over without the title, lets say the seller has it financed as well and doesn't have the title in hand. then i need to get it registered into my name, i'm buying in florida but live in pennsylvania, so how do i get temporary tags. are there actually tag companies in florida that handle these transactions?
i'm just looking for answers to help make this transaction go as smooth as possible for both sides.

thanks
19 REPLIES 19

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought from a private seller. Pretty easy. I had a bankers check in the amount of the sale. We went to his bank together. They set up an escrow acct. Took my check & put it in the escrow acct. Gave me the title. Took what the seller owed out of the account. Gave the seller the balance to his acct. Closed the escrow acct.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, banks and credit unions handle these transactions every day, it's not a problem. Just tell your institution what you want to do, they'll take care the details.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I know Texas does similar. I've purchased a one-way trip permit for $5 ($9 after all fees are paid) for my TT, and this is the route I go, since I only use the trailer for a renaissance faire as of now. With this permit, it doesn't matter if the TT is inspected or not, as long as it is insured.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby, I think the original poster is wanting to wait until he gets the motorhome back to Pennsy to tag it. Once FL DMV sees all the paperwork and the insurance binder, they will issue him a short term 'moving permit' that will allow him to drive it home and register it there.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:

yep, refusing to buy a RV with an outstanding loan will limit your purchases to something 15 years old or extremely cheap.
but bad advice is worse than no advice at all.
bumpy

Now that is good advice.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the owner, owners loan information, registration, bill of sale, and trailer down to your bank.
Your bank representative will make the arrangements and make sure it is correct to avoid any risk as the money changes hands.
Purchase price and condition are up to you and at your risk.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Playtime II wrote:
In FL, no title no tag. When we moved to FL one of our cars and the MH still had bank loans. We gave the loan/bank info to FL (DMV) and they sent away for the title. Once received, they called me and then I could get plates. Expect 3-8 weeks. Until then, I used my old plates as they were several months from expiring. Otherwise FL would have issued me paper tags (for a fee).

That's interesting.

I wonder how it would work when buying an older vehicle from states that do not issue titles for vehicles older than a certain age. Many of the New England states don't title vehicles older than about 16 years or so (the details varying a bit from state to state), and there may be others with similar policies.

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
In FL, no title no tag. When we moved to FL one of our cars and the MH still had bank loans. We gave the loan/bank info to FL (DMV) and they sent away for the title. Once received, they called me and then I could get plates. Expect 3-8 weeks. Until then, I used my old plates as they were several months from expiring. Otherwise FL would have issued me paper tags (for a fee).
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:
Soundguy, I understand your position on buying a financed RV. However as one o/p stated the banks have excellent systems between them for handling that kind of transaction. When you buy a car, the dealer probably does not own it, a bank or financial institution does. Your bank will make all the arrangements to get the title in their name and yours. Getting it thoroughly checked out prior to the sale, I absolutely agree with.

yep, refusing to buy a RV with an outstanding loan will limit your purchases to something 15 years old or extremely cheap.
but bad advice is worse than no advice at all.
bumpy

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
I wouldn't purchase any type of vehicle that didn't have a clear title in the name of the owner but still had a lien against it. JMO.

bid_time wrote:
So lets say I just bought a brand new RV that cost $500,000.00 and financed 50 percent of the cost. Then due to some unfortunate circumstances 6 months later I had to sell it at a fire sale price, and all wanted was to pay off the loan, but I didn't have the money to pay it off. I guess your advice would be to miss out on a smoking hot deal.

Make of it what you want, you'll notice I did say JMO ... no where did I say you or anyone else has to agree. :R Pretty simple really. :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
"Definitely definitely get it inspected by a professional."

This is good advice. Hidden problems could exist that you might have to borrow more money to fix.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go talk to your financial place, they will have their procedures or rules they have to follow. You don't have to worry about how it will be done.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:
I wouldn't purchase any type of vehicle that didn't have a clear title in the name of the owner but still had a lien against it. If the current owner has a loan against the rig then that's his problem to first pay it off so he can then provide any potential purchaser with documentation proving any lien against it has been cleared. How you later fund the purchase, cash or otherwise, is your problem. Secondly, I'd also insist on 3rd party inspection, negotiating who pays for that inspection - seller or buyer - regardless, it would be foolish to buy something as complicated as a MH and not have it fully inspected. JMO.
So lets say I just bought a brand new RV that cost $500,000.00 and financed 50 percent of the cost. Then due to some unfortunate circumstances 6 months later I had to sell it at a fire sale price, and all wanted was to pay off the loan, but I didn't have the money to pay it off. I guess your advice would be to miss out on a smoking hot deal.

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
All you have to do is talk to your bank/credit union that you are financing it through. This is not their first rodeo. Its really pretty simple.