Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart and safety personal experience

pcshme
Explorer
Explorer
On most forums EVERYONE says they never had a problem staying at walmart
I am looking for comments from those who have had a problem and how they dealt with itl

I wonder about those folks have HAVE HAD A PROBLEM AT WALMART,, I mean robbery attempts,,pan handlers, people parking for hours with engine running next to rv...

I would like to hear what you do to make yourself feel comfortable at Walmart.

My short story is pulled into Walmart around 1am and finally got to sleep around 4am, when at 5am a fellow in a white stealthy van (no windows etc) bangs on my door with a story about his mother in law, hospital and forgot wallet (get the idea). I would have not responded but he banged a second time,,I looked through window, and I decided to give him a small amount of money hoping he would leave. I gave him my smallest bill which was $10.00 and he left , saying he would be back in a hour to pay me back for the gas money. Right,,,,

So now I am nervous,, what should I do,, not answer at all ,, what if someone or a group of people get violent and break a window or jump on my rv?

Here is what I think I can do,,
1. Since I have a small Class C, just get in the driver seat and pull away
or
2. Dont respond and see what happens
or
3. Respond and give them a small amount of money like $5.00, explaining that I am poor and don't have cash.
or
4. dial 911

what do you think, i really prefer boondocking and really don't like commercial campgrounds.

m
61 REPLIES 61

and this many pages appear to have answered the OP's inquiry. Moving on.... ๐Ÿ™‚

lightning_drive
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting I just read through 6 pages of responses to the OP's request for other examples of issues while Wally docking. 6 Pages and nothing but hypothetical scenario's and opinions of what to do. All interesting and helpful to consider but the conclusion I am drawing is it appears Walmart parking lots are a pretty safe place to grab a few hours sleep while traveling.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
For me the common sense thing to do is to avoid Wal Marts that appear to urban or appear to have too much activity.
For the record plenty of people spend lots of nights Wally Docking and never get a middle of the night knock.However there are no guarantees.
If you decide to Wally dock you must have the mentality/stomach and plan to deal with a potential late night knock without going into a total panic.
Again, a knock most likely won't occur, but don't have an anxiety attack if it does.
If this scenario does not appeal to you. Avoid the undesirables and stay at a CG. At least the undesirables you encounter at the CG will have their own RV.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
Walaby wrote:
No one said never going into places where panhandlers are etc.. but are YOU going to just fling open the door of your RV at 2 AM if someone knocks on it? If you say no, are you living in constant fear then?

Errr.. no, I would be using common sense and not open the door at 2am.

Which is what everyone else said, with some additional variations, such as call the police, or act as calling the police etc...
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
No one said never going into places where panhandlers are etc.. but are YOU going to just fling open the door of your RV at 2 AM if someone knocks on it? If you say no, are you living in constant fear then?

Errr.. no, I would be using common sense and not open the door at 2am.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Funny how some folks preach using common sense, but if common sense involves not opening up your door in the middle of the night, or being prepared in the event it is necessary, then all of a sudden those that take reasonable precautions or use common sense are suddenly living in fear, are paralyzed and have to move into a cave.

No one said they are living in a constant state of fear. No one said never going into places where panhandlers are etc.. but are YOU going to just fling open the door of your RV at 2 AM if someone knocks on it? If you say no, are you living in constant fear then?

Seems like some folks can't see middle ground that is both reasonable and prudent. Oh well...

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
chuckbear wrote:
Robberies, mugging, even murders happen all the time in shopping centers, malls and gas stations. Panhandlers approach people on every city street and "shady characters" abound. Are we going to never go to any of those places? Highly unlikely. So the ONLY SOLUTION is to arm yourself and move into a cave in the desert somewhere. We don't live in a constant state of fear so we're always open to different things. It's all part of the adventure. We do use a reasonable amount of caution and use common sense, something else not very common anymore. Fun and adventure rules our life today, not fear and anxiety. Your life, your choice. Chuck

Perfect reply!! The same for us. Living in fear is no option for us.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Robberies, mugging, even murders happen all the time in shopping centers, malls and gas stations. Panhandlers approach people on every city street and "shady characters" abound. Are we going to never go to any of those places? Highly unlikely. So the ONLY SOLUTION is to arm yourself and move into a cave in the desert somewhere. We don't live in a constant state of fear so we're always open to different things. It's all part of the adventure. We do use a reasonable amount of caution and use common sense, something else not very common anymore. Fun and adventure rules our life today, not fear and anxiety. Your life, your choice. Chuck

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
There actually are people out there with not so innocent intentions. THAT is the reason NOT to open your door to a stranger in the middle of the night. Especially, when you are unfamiliar with your surroundings.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
doc brown wrote:
I disagree. at zero-dark-thirty I will assume the worst and act accordingly until convinced otherwise

X2, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. In 12 years of rving only three very uncomfortable situations; at a very nice RV park during the day, a rest stop during the day that was crowded and a truck stop during the day that was busy. I'm prepared in many ways but the best preparation is common sense and awareness.

While it may not be logical daylight changes the whole scenario in terms of the danger involved.
Call me naive or foolish, but I would be a lot less apprehensive during the day.
Correct Trax,Splendide

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
I disagree. at zero-dark-thirty I will assume the worst and act accordingly until convinced otherwise

X2, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. In 12 years of rving only three very uncomfortable situations; at a very nice RV park during the day, a rest stop during the day that was crowded and a truck stop during the day that was busy. I'm prepared in many ways but the best preparation is common sense and awareness.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
All of our big box stores no longer allow overnight stays.. Panhandlers and the homeless have ruined it for the rest of us.
I still see the unaware and uninformed pulled over and camping in the Wal Mart, Home Depot, Khols parking lots on my way out fishing at 0 Dark thirty in the morning and I have to chuckle when I see local law enforcement waking these folks up and making them get along..
I also do my best to alert them if I do not see the police by giving a few long toots of my horn!! My intent is to keep them ever vigilant of the Street people that my wonder into there encampment.
There have been a few occasions that the traffic signal has allowed me to actually pull right thru the parking lot and sound a warning or three as I visually scan for errant street walkers..
Hopefully my obnoxiousness and very loud horn will have saved some one the awkward Bang on the door by an evil street walker or transient in need of change or counseling..
Hopefully they are already awake at four or five A.M. getting ready to hit the road as pass by..

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
2gypsies wrote:
Just don't open the door. Simple.

Simple in terms of being somewhat safe. Not so simple in terms of being awaken. Forced into alert mode and the anxiety that goes with it.
Correct Trax,Splendide

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Just don't open the door. Simple.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again