cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat towing Jeep Cherokee

Abqtiger
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering purchasing a Jeep Cherokee for flat towing. The dealer recommended the Trailhawk. I need an SUV for business. Does anyone have comments pro or con re the Cherokees? Is there a better SUV option of similar size?
20 REPLIES 20

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
hogcard wrote:
Just became class a owners and bought the Jeep Cherokee Limited. It has to be a 4x4 with the active drive train II. My dealer had a bazillion cherokees on the lot and none of them had the transmission option. Had to look around and find one.

I'll vouch that this info is correct. We went to the dealer to buy a Cherokee Limited 4x4 and none of the vehicles on the lot had Active Drive II. They did however have a Trailhawk 4X4 that came with the Active Drive II as standard. The dealer did not offer to find us a suitable Limited vehicle, but up-sold us the Trailhawk - supposedly for a v.g. price. Ha! Only drawback that I can see is T.H. weighs more probably because of the larger, heavier tires. We are pleased with the vehicle but have not towed it yet.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

hogcard
Explorer
Explorer
Just became class a owners and bought the Jeep Cherokee Limited. It has to be a 4x4 with the active drive train II. My dealer had a bazillion cherokees on the lot and none of them had the transmission option. Had to look around and find one.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
When speaking with your dealer, show him the video below and ask tell him that is why you want the kit installed....Dennis

Jeep "Death Wobble"
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
All Trailhawks come standard with the AD II transmission and a transfer case, so they all can be towed four down.

The transmission issue that plagued earlier year models is no longer a problem with the new Cherokees. FCA put a 2017 transmission in my 2014 Cherokee in December, and it shifts like a charm as it now downshifts to 2nd gear between 8-10 mph.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

time_to_go_now
Explorer
Explorer
The 2015 and 2016 and probably 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk can be flat towed. Make sure you get the correct transfer case. Must have the little button that can be depressed with a ball point pen to the right of the shifter.

But, test drive your car (the one you BUY!) and make sure you like the way the transmission shifts. After more than a dozen visits to the dealer to get the transmission fixed/replaced, Jeep had to buy our 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk back from us.

We bought a 2017 Ford Explorer Sport.

I have ALL the brackets in the boxes in the garage for the Jeep Trailhawk to be flat towed. Never got around to installing them. Let me know if anybody is interested in them,. Would sell for cheap!
Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA FRED
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/22, Boy/19, Girl/17
1985 Toyota 4Runner
TWO quads, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, TWO dogs, ONE cat, TWO Polaris RZR's

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
I just got off the phone with the service department and sales department of a local Jeep dealer and found out that the only Cherokee you can 4 down is the TrailHook as its the only one with the 2 speed power transfer unit.

The 2016 Dinghy Guide says the Compass and Patriot can be towed 4 down but the dealer said that is not correct. Maybe its the difference from 2016 to 2017 models?

It's seems like the vehicles you can tow 4 down are becoming fewer and fewer!

Find another dealer. He's giving you bad information on the Trailhawk. Other models have the active ll transmission. Limited does as standard I believe.

Life_is_a_high1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, we are new to RVing and would like opinions on towing a vehicle, tow bars or trailer, any pros or cons would be helpful thanks.

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
I just got off the phone with the service department and sales department of a local Jeep dealer and found out that the only Cherokee you can 4 down is the TrailHook as its the only one with the 2 speed power transfer unit.

The 2016 Dinghy Guide says the Compass and Patriot can be towed 4 down but the dealer said that is not correct. Maybe its the difference from 2016 to 2017 models?

I think you received some bad information. If I were you I would visit a dealership and ask to see a Latitude or Limited with an AD II transmission. When they show you one, look at the center console and you should see the letter N with a small concave button next to it. Depressing this button with something like a ball point pen will put the transfer case into the neutral mode, which allows the vehicle to be towed four down.

I would then suggest looking in the User Guide for the complete steps to perform to put it into tow mode.

Also be aware that you will need the optional Mopar towed vehicle wiring harness.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Simple Answer:

If you are looking at a Jeep or whatever and it has a transfer case for the four wheel drive and that shifter has a Neutral position. It is almost certainly towable 4-down. That is why they did that. But be cautious, not all Jeeps have a true transfer case. Some Jeeps are full time and some are just a front wheel drive with an added rear drive capability.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
We have a couple friends towing a Jeep Cherokee with no issues and they love them. If we were in the market we would definitely get one. They are gorgeous! They also do very well off-road.

X2 Had mine off road many times

Actually the curb weight is a little over 4,000 pounds

The transmission option Active Drive II so you can tow four down is about $995

The Trailhawk comes with this transmission standard

I have towed my 2012 over 25,000 worry free miles
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever model of jeep you are looking at, check out remcotowing.com application charts. You can pinpoint by year, make, model, engine, transmission and it will tell you if it can be towed 4 down with or without any alteration.

We have an older cherokee with an automatic transmission but it does have a neutral setting for the transfer case so it can be towed 4 down.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a couple friends towing a Jeep Cherokee with no issues and they love them. If we were in the market we would definitely get one. They are gorgeous! They also do very well off-road.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2916 Cherokee Trailhawk for a toad and did some research beforehand. Not all Cherokees can be towed - it must have Active Drive II. It also needs to have a Mopar wiring harness installed - we are currently negotiating the installation of this with our dealer.

As far as the vehicle goes, it is quite nice. Lots of electronics to drive you crazy. Also, if you have a bad back, check it out to make sure you can get in/out easily. My DH is having trouble with this because the front roof line is quite sloped and low over the entry. Might also cause problems if you are over 6 ft. tall.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)