cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggest 7,000lb fifth wheels

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
You may have seen the other posts that my Jayco 26.5 RLS is very probably headed to the scrap yard due to roof/water/delamination issues.

Sticker weight is 6,845, with pin of 1,285. Since I'm towing with an F150, I don't have much margin to go up in pin weight.

Any suggestions as to brands/models I should be taking a look at besides Jayco? New or recently used (say, 2010-2012 or after) would be considered.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
8 REPLIES 8

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flapper, I sent you a PM.

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, I love the Jayco, and would get another in a heartbeat. That particular model is no longer made, and even ones from later years (2014+) are a tad heavier - although not so much they would be excluded.
Current problems were due to a tree branch ripping the roof in an unnoticed place this past season. Yeah, should have checked more than during the initial spring startup...but....
That said, since I'll be in the market, it seems advisable to look around.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

shinglers3
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Chaparral 269BHS from their Lite Floorplans (1/2 towable), but we do tow it with a 3/4 ton. Here is the brochure:

Chaparral Brochure

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
check out this small old time rv mfg 5th wheel trailers that some are 1/2 ton towable. Bought our 1st 9' 6" truck camper from them in the early '70s.

click link
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
How about one of the KZ Durango 1500 models? I've no experience with them, but some nice floor plans, with fairly low dry pins.

Jerry

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I did not get a chance to read your other post, and I'm sorry to hear about your issues with your current unit. I realize you may have bad feelings towards Jayco but I would not rule them out as all manufacturers as you know have the same issues. Have you looked at some of the online sites like RVT.com and RV trader.com? Our previous trailer we found in another state only about 1.5 hours away on one of those websites. It turned out to be a like brand-new unit that was well cared for for a used unit.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
If payload is a concern, maybe you should consider a TT instead. You can tow a much bigger TT with the same truck then a 5er.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Flapper wrote:
You may have seen the other posts that my Jayco 26.5 RLS is very probably headed to the scrap yard due to roof/water/delamination issues.

Sticker weight is 6,845, with pin of 1,285. Since I'm towing with an F150, I don't have much margin to go up in pin weight.

Any suggestions as to brands/models I should be taking a look at besides Jayco? New or recently used (say, 2010-2012 or after) would be considered.

Any reason you don't want to go with the same unit? And maybe do whatever maintenance it takes to avoid leaks. I doubt if it was the trailers fault that there was a leak. And that looks to me like a good choice in its class.

I've had good luck with our Cougar, and they make one or two in the same approx. size. I don't think you'll find anything measurably better in that weight class.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver