cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jet-sounding neighbour furnace

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
We had to move in the park due to long-term reservations and now have neighbour with good looking DP.
But his furnace is facing us directly and not only it gives jet-like sound, but comes very often.
I am kind of surprized that such noisy thing was installed on luxury DP in the first place, but is there a way to aproach the neighour about the issue?
Strange to use propane furnace when we have non-metered elecricity and we use electric heater with whispering noise.
I think there is also some malfunction in neighbour system as the furnace comes like 15-20 times per hr in 40-50F weather.
We plan to stay here another month, so shall we live with the noise hoping for warmer weather, or give the neighbour a gift with electric heater?
47 REPLIES 47

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:

if your in a close proxsimity type rv park and your on the exhaust side
of a AH system their kinda loud and smelly
now a oasis system is quite and no smell

This thread has deviated a bit but just to follow-up on some of the misconceptions on a properly operating Aqua Hot hydronic heating system, our Aqua Hot when using the diesel burner is considerably less noisy than the typical propane heater that we have had in other RVs but yes, there certainly is a slight diesel smell. Now with that said, unless the outside temperature falls much below 45F, I will run the Aqua Hot on electric and so therefore there is no outside noise or smell to provide all of the coach heat and hot water that we need in most situations. So in our situation, 90%+ of the time there is no noise or smell from the AH system at all.

We've never owned a coach with the Oasis Hydronic system but I thought that it worked essentially identical to the Aqua Hot-that is-a diesel burner was available when necessary. Owners of the Oasis have reported a quiet and low odor operation but not certainly odorless.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never used a diesel Aqa-Hot but on Propane I ahve noticed if the Air/Fuel ratio is wrong they can get noisy.. I'd start there.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
8 month old thread. Things sure are slow around here.

I think to say "Going Backwards" Might just be appropriate.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
A CORRECTLY running Aqua Hot system will not make any abnormal or LOUD noise when the Diesel burner is ON. Doug

if your in a close proxsimity type rv park and your on the exhaust side
of a AH system their kinda loud and smelly
now a oasis system is quite and no smell

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I wouldn't say anything to the neighbor - there's nothing he can do to make it more quiet. As far as the frequent cycling, if it is the furnace, he may have a high efficiency thermostat. They tend to cyle as you describe.

Exactly. there are times one must just accept what the world throws at them.
For instance, why did some Fleetwood designer put the water heater in our coach right where people would be sitting to relax under the awning? Since we can't change it, we live with it!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
8 month old thread. Things sure are slow around here.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

gonesouth
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
A CORRECTLY running Aqua Hot system will not make any abnormal or LOUD noise when the Diesel burner is ON. Doug

X2
Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
RayChez wrote:
I think too much is being made out of this. And I do not agree with SCVJEFF that heat pumps make more noise, UNLESS he was talking about the heat/pumps on the Winnebago motor homes that have the heat pumps on the bottom compartment under the bed. Those are noisy.
yep
If Heat Pumps make MORE noise, then what about the NOISE when on COOL mode???????????????????????? Doug

PS, EXACT same components are operating, just in reverse.
obviously exactly the same. But you already knew that. Why does it matter?

Because stating the NOISE is bad in cold weather, but NOT complaining about noise in hot weather does not make sense. Doug
PS this argument about noises is really STUPID, unless the appliance is having a problem. These are RV's for Gods Sake, Some want Noiseless RV'ing?????
I get it (and agree). But for for the OP's sake we are talking about things that make heat, not cold. And for the sake of heat related noise, a heat pump obviously qualifies into the discussion. IMO, if one doesn't like the noise.... cope or move.

I found that some Technicians discard the foam type insulation, around water heaters, because they think it is just packing material.
They did it to us and they some different foam insulation, apparently from another water heater. That foam insulation from the factory makes a very very huge difference.
The noise ,of the burners..... well, maybe they can vent it to the roof or into exhaust system of MH.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Some neighbors do not mind if a complain comes along about how noisy his furnace is, but then there are some that will tell you to mind your own business. So the best advice is to just move to another spot and avoid confrontation with someone. It could get ugly if you criticize someone with his brand new motor home.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Finally nice weather and we could see neighbors outside.
I approach the noisy furnace owner and turn out I underestimated the weight of his dog at only 120lb.
IT IS 136 lb.
I ask him about the rig and turns he is experienced RVer and owns the rig for few months.
He is aware about mud dabs and such, but his answer was "this is new furnace and it always was loud"
Good we moved 3 sites away and now can hear darn thing from distance and other rig coverage.
I think good advice for whoever is buying new RV - start the furnace and WH before paying.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbors wife snores! What can I do??? LOL

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Never ever talk to your neighbor. Tell everyone else but not him. Good GOSH! Ask him about it. Why are you asking on a forum? I think I would like it if you mentioned something like that to me. Might save having a fire through a whole park.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
RayChez wrote:
I think too much is being made out of this. And I do not agree with SCVJEFF that heat pumps make more noise, UNLESS he was talking about the heat/pumps on the Winnebago motor homes that have the heat pumps on the bottom compartment under the bed. Those are noisy.
yep
If Heat Pumps make MORE noise, then what about the NOISE when on COOL mode???????????????????????? Doug

PS, EXACT same components are operating, just in reverse.
obviously exactly the same. But you already knew that. Why does it matter?

Because stating the NOISE is bad in cold weather, but NOT complaining about noise in hot weather does not make sense. Doug
PS this argument about noises is really STUPID, unless the appliance is having a problem. These are RV's for Gods Sake, Some want Noiseless RV'ing?????
I get it (and agree). But for for the OP's sake we are talking about things that make heat, not cold. And for the sake of heat related noise, a heat pump obviously qualifies into the discussion. IMO, if one doesn't like the noise.... cope or move.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't wish the noise of my Mach 8 heat pumps on anyone - as stated it sounds like an F-16 starting up. With the 2, or 3 in AC mode, it sounds like an aircraft carrier! (yes I have already upgraded to the version D 6 blade fans).

I've had a few rigs with that Hydra-flame Atwood that cycled a lot, to the point it bugged me inside while sleeping. Eventually moved on to different rigs and never did find out why some were that way an others in the exact same furnace did not cycle like that.

The fix is, don't stay at a campground that parks you in there like a truck stop.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed