cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace rubber roof

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about having the rubber roof replaced on our travel trailer. Its not that anything is wrong with it, just that its 8 years old. Thinking of replacing it to keep everything good and dry.

Visited an RV show recently and spoke with a gentleman representing a company that does this. Question is: Who would you have do this and is there any caveats to watch out for? Any costs per square foot that is reasonable?
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike
11 REPLIES 11

facory
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of good information and valued opinions..
Will not be replacing the rubber roof.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

sp8gold
Explorer
Explorer
I am totally in agreement with 2012coleman. If I ever need to replace the rubber roof it will be with the RV Flex Armor. JMHO

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I would clean it and use a liquid covering product. If you can spend some time on sealing the through holes and edges, do it with Eternabond before using the liquid. You should never have to do anything again besides cleaning and touching up with the roof coating. I'm going on four years with mine and have only looked at it in that time.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
It is extremely rare that the EPDM membrane will fail, the problem is normally the joints around penetrations such as vents. I have several EPDM (rubber) roofs on commercial buildings and the membrane is expected to last 20 - 30 years.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
MWJones wrote:
You must have a lot of money to throw away. Have you herd of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I can't believe an 8 year old RV needs a new roof. But you did not ask for advice about whether to replace it or not.
PS: Check the warranty, it is way more than 8 yrs.

While every one of us and our various rigs are different my experience with rubber roofs convinced me that I will NEVER have another one for longer than it takes to have it replaced. IMHO rubber roofs will leak, it is just a matter of when and how bad and will you catch it before it destroys your rig.

My 5 1/2 year old rubber roof failed with moisture leaking through the membrane. Warranty? What a joke. I was offered $255.00 from the roof manufacturer as total compensation on their 12 year warranty.

My solution was This. It was installed in January 2016 and is superb. 3/16" thick and is much quieter and covers ALL caulking.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Gbopp. Restore the rubber roof, don't replace it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
You must have a lot of money to throw away. Have you herd of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I can't believe an 8 year old RV needs a new roof. But you did not ask for advice about whether to replace it or not.
PS: Check the warranty, it is way more than 8 yrs.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
JIMNLIN wrote:
The age of a rubber roof has nothing to do with leakage as even a new roof regardless of material will need to be sealed correctly and a bit of maintaining each year. JMO but why waste money on something that isn't needed.

My '97 31' 5er has had nothing but a bit of Dicor added to a few a few short spots that the OEM sealant came loose or developed a hairline crack. No leaks in all those years.

This.
If there's nothing wrong with it and the white protective layer hasn't gave way to the black rubber underneath then there's no reason to replace it. These roof routinely last 30+ years on commercial building in my area.
My roof is older than yours and I would not even consider replacing it.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I just restored the rubber roof on our 96 Southwind. Dicor Lap Sealant, Eternabond and Heng's Rubber Roof Coating made the job easy.
The roof looks great.

Consider sealing and coating your roof. It will save you a lot of money.

If you insist you need a new roof, go with the RV Flex Armor. It won't be cheap but, it should last a long time.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The age of a rubber roof has nothing to do with leakage as even a new roof regardless of material will need to be sealed correctly and a bit of maintaining each year. JMO but why waste money on something that isn't needed.

My '97 31' 5er has had nothing but a bit of Dicor added to a few a few short spots that the OEM sealant came loose or developed a hairline crack. No leaks in all those years.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Check out RV Flex Armor They have a location in Green cove Springs FL.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS