Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking about diving into a Toy Hauler for FT living

unsavorycharact
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,
New member here, I've been doing a lot of reading over the past few days and think it's about time to post and get some further direction from experienced people
These are my rough goals:
1. Give up my apartment in SF
2. Travel around North America in the warmer months and live FT in the camper, just me for now (mountain bike centric), so primarily mountainous West, Pacific North West and BC (whistler, etc)
3. Have place to keep a number of bicycles (inside)
4. Have a high clearance, maneuverable shuttle vehicle (people and bikes Crew Cab pickup) for off roading without the trailer

I'm enamored with the 2017 Raptor Super Crew, currently have a Jeep GC SRT, like fast cars, had an audi allroad v8 for 150k before that
However the raptors are in such demand, that some places are getting 20k over sticker. I could get a used f150 or similar too
From what I've read the jeep GC is not good for towing and raptors have too soft suspension
Fifth wheels won't have the space for dropping bikes over the tailgate AFAIK
I also plan on staying in places for a week or more, hopefully a month or more in whistler

A crew cab pickup + toy hauler seems like that way to go (vs a sprinter van or 5th wheel)

I don't need/want a ginormous trailer, just the basics, bed, shower, toilet, kitchen and relatively secure space for bikes and tools

I may opt for a dirt bike (motorcycle or more off road centric dual sport than my 540lb suzuki v-strom I have now)

I'll probably be ready to pull the trigger around May 2017 (sell the SRT and moto and become a gypsy)

Thoughts, suggestions, where to focus my learning?

Thanks
Gideon
42 REPLIES 42

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered a class A or C toyhauler? You could then tow the raptor for fun timez.

Mmaxed
Explorer II
Explorer II
unsavorycharacter wrote:
Coming back here after about 20k miles of experience w f150 and 23ft bumper pull, it was amazing, went all over Western us and BC. I put 2 solar panels on roof, and never fired up generators. Just traded I. The raptor for a 2017 f-350 srw 4x4 short bed and will be selling the trailer next and prob going to a 5er possiblly a Dutchmen voltage 3005 (35ft), but I'm concerned about crunching the bed rails and /or tailgate if and when I take it on off camber trails and the setup articulates
G

Glad it worked for ya!

You are right to be concerned with a fiver on uneven terrain. Bed clearance is key to prevent contact. Other thing is the trailer suspension that is usually barely adequate will get a real workout in ruts and very uneven stuff. I have seen broken springs, popped tires etc when people go places they should not, and probably at speeds they should not. A fiver tends to be much higher and more prone to tree damage. I sometimes wish we had a smaller bumper pull to get into more spots.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
For full-timing, you'll be happiest with a separate garage. Otherwise you're going to get tired of packing/unpacking and storing valuables outdoors.

2nd that and in-climate or unseasonable weather. And if you get there and it raining you either stay in your TV= Tow vehicle or unload your stuff in the rain and leave it in the rain. I have a 19 Ft Attitude I hit the beach with bicycles and boards then the following week I'll unload and load with my dirt-bikes and a quad.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Lol! I'm not even going to get into this discussion!!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

unsavorycharact
Explorer
Explorer
Coming back here after about 20k miles of experience w f150 and 23ft bumper pull, it was amazing, went all over Western us and BC. I put 2 solar panels on roof, and never fired up generators. Just traded I. The raptor for a 2017 f-350 srw 4x4 short bed and will be selling the trailer next and prob going to a 5er possiblly a Dutchmen voltage 3005 (35ft), but I'm concerned about crunching the bed rails and /or tailgate if and when I take it on off camber trails and the setup articulates
G

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
ramgunner wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Duallys absolutely suck offroad. And in snow. And in traffic, parking garages, etc.

I've driven it in heavy traffic in downtown areas, and it's not a problem as long as you employ some brain cells - it takes two.

Now there's a *ONE* cell cheap shot!..:R

~

DynoDragn
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good, and yea the Bay Area is tough finding places to park. Most storages are completely full with waiting lists. Most of the ones that are available you have to go see to make sure they aren't shady operations.
Have fun on your trip
2016 Ram 2500 Longhorn 6.7
2015 XLR Nitro
2012 Ford F-350 DRW King Ranch 6.7
2013 Landmark San Antonio

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
that's a sharp looking trailer!
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

unsavorycharact
Explorer
Explorer

unsavorycharact
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, quick update
Pics with Truck and TH attached, no wd hitch wasnt squatted too bad
Drove semi wet (but no load) from Napa, CA to Half Moon Bay, where I was "Lucky" to get a parking spot for these things where I didn't have to cross a bridge and traffic to get to (east bay), nothing close to SF, I spent over a day calling every place I could find
Drove fine on hwy, was doing 75 and didn't even know it (Ecoboost V6 very quiet)
Backing this thing into the corner spot in the gated lot was an adventure too, good thing there werent other people there ๐Ÿ™‚

I also stopped at CAT scale in South SF and did three runs thru, disconnected the TH since wasn't busy
Weight varied, dunno if scales and or if they took weights while I was outside truck adjusting things

Truck wt 6520
Trailer wt 3620
I think my tongue weight was 440 w this

Also, did some rough estimate of the stuff I've going to move from my apt
7 bicycles, rolling tool chest, 5 snowboards, a bunch of boxes (actually need to figure out it it will all fit and be weighted properly)
about 2710
So 3620 + 2710 = 6330
Dual axle Trailer max is 7500, truck max is 8000 tow wt
Still somewhat below
I can box and ship stuff to make lighter if needed
This first coast to coast heavy haul will be a 1x thing and my planned north america road tripping will be much lighter

I'm doing the calcs on the all the weights after this post

Next major hurdle is WD hitch
Equalizers come in 6000 and 1000lb versions and none were in stock for my timing, leaving w/in a week and i'd be at the limit of the 6000lb ones
Wound up getting
Husky centerline WD 8000lb on the way, supposed to arrive wed
I have to swap out the ball w 2" (what my trailer has) and torque the new one
I bought a huge torque wrench and 3/4 socket set
RV place I bought said they'd install for me if needed, but from what I read, supposed to be installed when loaded
Prob not a good idea to drive it loaded to place 75mi away thru hilly traffic
Im going to try and install the WD hitch in the dirt parking lot unless I can find somewhere closeby thats paved and level and not in anyone's way
If I get stuck on the install (while loaded with some stuff) I might have to bring the truck to the dealer anyway, but will prob need to make more trips unloading, then loading again

Another concern is how adjustable these 4 point, equalizer types of wd hitches are (since load will vary by maybe 1000-1500 lbs from initial install)
Trailer sales guy said TH is dual axle, designed to haul loads over the axles and shouldnt change the TW tremendously

I also bough a Sherline 1000 lb tongue weight scale

putting some pics in next post
Lotta planning

unsavorycharact
Explorer
Explorer
My theoretical on the plan morphed a bit perhaps, i was never thinking ginormous
Most im going to do is the summer months at this point if I don't "compromise" with the gf..
I definitely wanted a raptor. The trailer, the new moto are all side /secondary projects
Hopefully I'll be able to get away with a lightweight trailer, maybe some bump stop mods on the rear shocks, again need to look into
Max total payload prob 5500 (3100 trailer weight itself if I get the fancier trailer)
At this point I do plan doing a lot of hwy miles checking out a lot of non touristy spots West, PNW, BC, dry camping where feasible

Here's a long (and sometimes bitter, lol) raptor specific thread about it, I don't think you need to register
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f115/any-you-guys-tow-trailer-13499/

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friends with a trailer similar in size and weight to that wolf pup, it might even be that brand. it is 21' open inside and he has A atv in it, towing with a f150 xlt 5.0 it does fine being the trailer is fairly light.

When most people say they want a toy hauler to full time in I think we assume you are looking at a 41' 5th wheel...at least that's where I would be.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

unsavorycharact
Explorer
Explorer
that raptor looks pretty squated out in the back
I'm ignorant about balancing the load and WD hitch things, but is that the best that could have been done there?
and what was the weight and tongue weight that thing

I did look at a wolf pup 17rp and this one in black today
http://travellitecampers.com/travel-trailers/travel-lite-falcon-f-23th/
3100lbs, dual axle
The GF now is giving me pressure NOT to be gone in a trailer traveling around PNW and BC for a few months, so the trailer may not happen..

OBSPowerstroke
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a pic of a new crew cab Raptor towing a baby Jeep on a U-Haul trailer. This is why these trucks aren't good tow vehicles:

EDIT: Fixed the width.
Josh
'16 Ford F350
'11 Komfort Resort 240RK
Portland, OR