cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommended class A gasser

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
We've been looking at class A's with gas engines, and don't have knowledge or experience in what we should look for. There are so many different brands and models so advice from experienced owners would be appreciated. Any comments on the following models and manufacturers?

Hurricane (can't remember if it's Thor or Fleetwood)
Georgetown
Jayco Precept
Southwind
Winnebago Vista and Sunstar
Fleetwood Bounder

We're looking at shorter ones - 30-34'

Thanks for your help.
30 REPLIES 30

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
GOOD Choice. I think Tiffen and Newmar make great rigs and they are of equal value and quality.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:
the 26 is an option I believe on the 36LA. I would have gone that way id it was available in 2014. But regardless, I have almost 3500 lbs carrying capacity with mine even with full fuel

We went to the Mpls RV show this past weekend and I got to visit quite a while with Tiffin national sales rep Tom Webber. Very nice gentleman who I peppered with a number of questions. He confirmed you can order a 36LA on the 26000 lb chassis but Tiffin does not plan on moving the 36LA floorplan to the higher weight chassis as a standard.

We went back and forth between the Tiffin Allegro 36UA they had on display and the two Newmar Canyon Star's on display. It was apparent that Tiffin's exterior basement storage doors are of higher quality (beautiful doors that shut like a car door). Newmar's were pretty close in quality but none of their doors, even on the Dutch Star diesel pusher, latched easily when shutting them. I gave up on getting the Dutch Star and Ventana's doors to latch and finally walked away.

Tiffin's interior cabinet doors were also of higher quality, sounding and feeling rock solid. If we go gas, I think we have settled on the Tiffin Allegro.
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Why less than 34'? Tiffin Allegro 36LA is a great floorplan and MH.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Allison tranny was in the old Workhorse but not in Ford. The new Ford's do have a very good six speed but prior to 2016 it was a five speed. Good engine with the limitations of gas but very serviceable. I have had 4 and all were fine. Never restricted by having gas.

jplante4 wrote:
You're pretty much limited to a single drive train - Ford F53 chassis with a V10 motor with an Allison 6 speed transmission. You need to define a couple of things to determine the best choice.

• New or used?
  • How are you going to use the coach? Weekend/Multi-week week trips out and back or extended (multi-month) adventures.
  • Will you be staying mostly at private RV parks with water/electric/sewer/cable TV or off-grid boondocking on public lands/national parks?
  • How many people/pets?

The answers to these questions will determine the optimum floor plan which is the most important consideration. Long cross country trips or snowbirding will dictate a higher quality rig than occasional weekend trips. If you buy used, you can get higher quality for the same price and a lower quality new motor home.

It might be worth the 8 hour drive to PPL Motor Homes in Houston to have a look around their lot. They are a consignment dealer.

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom, sent you a private message
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:
the 26 is an option I believe on the 36LA. I would have gone that way id it was available in 2014. But regardless, I have almost 3500 lbs carrying capacity with mine even with full fuel

Being interested in the 36la I recently called Tiffin and asked if the 26K chassis was an option, I was told it isn't. I would be happy to have been misinformed as I would seriously consider a 36la on a 26K chassis.

My 2016 32sa, basically a shorter 36la lacking the rear bath, is on the 24K chassis and has 3548 pounds payload and 2985 pounds CCC. My coach, in which my wife and I live full time weighs 22,500 pounds fully loaded for living with me at the wheel and 60 gallons of gas and about 50 gallons of water---8040 pounds on the front axle and 14,460 pounds on the rear axle.

When I see the Fleetwood Bounder comparable to the Tiffin 32sa, the Bounder 33c, being on a 22K chassis and with a wheelbase a whopping 20" shorter than the Tiffin and with a list price higher than the Tiffin to boot, I gotta wonder.

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at and comparing the Tiffin Allegro Open Road and the Newmar Canyon Star. It appears that the Allegro has larger exterior storage bays. Does anyone know what the Canyon Star's exterior storage square footage numbers are? Newmar does not list those numbers for each of the floorplans.

I also could have sworn that a Tiffin rep told me by email last year that the 36LA was moving to a 26,000 lb chassis like the 34PA and the 36UA. I like the fact that the Canyon Star's all come with a 26,000 lb chassis. The Fleetwood Bounder was eliminated from our consideration due to Fleetwood keeping a 22,000 lb chassis. We plan to full time or nearly full time.
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
stargirl96 wrote:
We're looking at both used and new. Any opinions on buying a new or almost new motorhome selling at a lower price point, or spending about the same amount on an older motorhome such as a Tiffin or Newmar?

Spending the same amount and within budget for older and better quality has always been my preference.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
I chose the tiffin open road for a couple reasons. the 24,000 lb chassis, and a 254 inch wheel base. I can also sit a see the TV straight on, and it has a half bath. I also like the fact that the slides are on the left side and dont interfere where we like to sit and relax. I didnt want anything in the kitchen moving in and out in a slide. the coach has been trouble free so far.

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
I know two people who have ACE and are not happy with build etc. Would suggest Newmar, Tiffen, as higher end with Fleetwood Bounder (new ones have great floor plans) and Winnebago/Itaska are quality. IF used have it inspected. I just bought a wonderful Newmar Mountain Aire used, love it but have some things to take care of to make it what i want it to be. IF used check tires for age for sure and get it inspected by a professional not your friend who RVs.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have always been happy with Tiffin coaches. Overall they are pretty good, decent quality, decent prices.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I learned "after the fact" was that the Ford Chassis with the 22.5 inch tires has far superior handling than the 19.5 inch tires.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking at both used and new. Any opinions on buying a new or almost new motorhome selling at a lower price point, or spending about the same amount on an older motorhome such as a Tiffin or Newmar?