cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Senior Citizens or Soon to be

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I volunteer at a USFW facility and we were just advised that asap, or as soon as can be implemented, the Senior Pass for Dept of the Interior & Ag sites will be sold as $20 a year, or $80 for a life time pass. So if you are currently 62 and don't have a pass I would suggest you get one asap, and if you turn 62 this year, go on your birthday
Now, the money that is raised by this increase will be kept by the facility that sold it, so if you do wait, it goes to a great cause
18 REPLIES 18

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
kginder wrote:
This is the Senior National Park pass we're talking about, correct? There was a heated thread here awhile ago that said seniors should not get the pass for 10 bucks. Guess the feds read it. Figures, I turn 62 in a year and a half.

Don't worry, it will still be well worth the $80!
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

kginder
Explorer
Explorer
This is the Senior National Park pass we're talking about, correct? There was a heated thread here awhile ago that said seniors should not get the pass for 10 bucks. Guess the feds read it. Figures, I turn 62 in a year and a half.

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
It's funny all the freebies and discounts you get when you, finally, don't need them. ๐Ÿ˜„

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"Wonder what the word is going to be on those of us that already have a life time pass... Do they go away???"

As I understand it, when you die the pass goes away since you are dead and can't use the pass because you are deceased.

True but if you live in Chicago, death does not prevent you from still voting! ๐Ÿ™‚

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Depends. She wouldn't need one to get in a park if she was riding shotgun in your vehicle. However, she would need one to gain entrance to any facility in the national park.

2 examples. When we were at Death Valley NP, I used my pass to drive in, and I used my pass to park in one of DVNP's campgrounds. However, my wife needed hers in order to get reduced rates to see "Scotty's Castle", a really neat mansion built in DVNP before it was a national park by a rich easterner from Chicago.

Example #2. When we were in San Juan, Puerto Rico, the old forts there are part of the US national park service. We each needed out passes to get the reduced entry fee.

mbopp wrote:
I already have a Senior Pass. Does DW need one also?
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
You only need one for anyone in your car so no, only one person needs one BUT staying that, as a person who has lost mine and had to purchase a new one, I plan to get one for the husband just in case.

Another reason for each having your own pass is that at the entrance stations, some parks require the pass holder present their driver's license with the pass. If one of you drives out of the park for shopping, etc, and you have your partner's pass, you might not be able to reenter without paying the entry fee.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Wonder what the word is going to be on those of us that already have a life time pass... Do they go away???"

As I understand it, when you die the pass goes away since you are dead and can't use the pass because you are deceased.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that tip about Mammouth Cave - planning on going there this summer.

Not to be ghoulish, but also one of a couple could pass away, so it's not a bad idea to each have one, especially if it's going up in price. I figured that $10 bargain wouldn't last forever.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
Roy&Lynne wrote:
You only need one for anyone in your car so no, only one person needs one BUT staying that, as a person who has lost mine and had to purchase a new one, I plan to get one for the husband just in case.

Its really good for both to have such as when on trips with your adult kids & thr grand kids.
Last summer for example we had two carloads going into Mesa Verde so my DW was in one car & I drove the other . I think one pass gets the entry fee waived/reduced for up to 8 persons

Also, some National Park tours only let the bearer of the pass use it when purchasing a tour ticket. Mammoth Caves is a god example of this - if both of you want discounted tour tickets, both of you will need a pass. There have also been times when visiting a park several days running that I have left my pass in yesterday's clothes and was glad my DW had another to keep from backtracking. For $10 it's worth both of you having one! For $80, not sure.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:

Its really good for both to have such as when on trips with your adult kids & thr grand kids.
Last summer for example we had two carloads going into Mesa Verde so my DW was in one car & I drove the other . I think one pass gets the entry fee waived/reduced for up to 8 persons

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If they don't grandfather me in, I demand that they also roll back my age a few years! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The last I heard it won't be until 2018 when the increase takes place. However, get one ASAP just in case. The old passes will still be good.

Even though it's an increase it's still worthwhile. We've saved a lot on campground fees and entrance fees over the years.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I already have a Senior Pass. Does DW need one also?
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......