cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Medical coverage while in Canada

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
We expect to spend about a month or so in Canada this summer visiting Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. Our primary medical coverage is through Medicare with a United Health care supplement. Wondering what other travellers do for coverage while out of the US.
9 REPLIES 9

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I am ultimately covered by my Medicare Supplement (N), that does not mean care providers are going to accept the card and bill to the company, it means I can seek to be reimbursed after I pay the provider.

When traveling outside the U.S. for short periods, I buy travel insurance that includes medical coverage, including evacuation, for the duration of the trip. Depending on how the trip was booked, it might be Allianz or TripMate (sold through tour companies), but the most flexible provider is probably Travelex, who will tailor the coverage to specific trips.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

skipsor
Explorer
Explorer
The real question is will they accept American insurance in Canada?

I had to go to an emergency room in Stewart B.C. in 2010 and they flat refused my Medicare and Blue Cross. They would only accept cash or a credit card.

Check before you need your insurance and they won't accept it.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Our first line of protection when traveling out of the US is MASA. I paid for this years ago when they were affiliated with some group in the RV world. As a charter member that is permanent. Second line is FMCA Assist.

I have had the MASA since before FMCA had a comparable plan. They have changed carriers and dropped the benefit briefly during my membership and I would not care to be caught needing the coverage while they make yet another change.

There are other providers in the market as well. Good Sam has a program as well. Read carefully for the benefits and exclusions. MASA is Worldwide so if we go trekking in the outback we are covered for air ambulance etc.

Just one person's experience - have never needed any of these and would just as soon consider the money spent on sleeping well.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are in an ongoing condition, I would call Medicare with your question. They should know.

If you have an emergency, that should be covered.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Emergencies are covered.

Only if in transit to/from Alaska from a nearby state. Otherwise Medicare does not cover. you except under certain circumstances
They can be found here
Medicare does not cover outside the U.S. but my United Health Care Advantage plan treats it the same as as out of network. My previous Humana Advantage plan was the same. Check with your United.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I made sure my medicare supplemental has foreign country coverage. Not all do. I go into Canada fishing at least 6-8 times per year.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Emergencies are covered.

Only if in transit to/from Alaska from a nearby state. Otherwise Medicare does not cover. you except under certain circumstances
They can be found here
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The rules are changing. For more than a brief visit, Canada Customs officials may demand a document from the USA insurance company to prove you have coverage. This rule was starting to be enforced early in 2016.

The border folks can deny you entry without the form.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Emergencies are covered.