cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New queen foam mattress questions

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
My pre-owned AF came with a queen mattress which is some kind of Sleep Number knockoff that leaks air. So, I'm looking to replace with a memory foam mattress from Amazon. The platform is made for a full queen. I've read that some of these foam mattresses are too heavy for the struts that lift the bed. First question: Is 58-65 lbs too much for the struts? And second: Is a 10" mattress too thick for an RV? They offer the mattress in both 8 and 10 inch thicknesses (hence the range in weight).
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L
7 REPLIES 7

rockintom
Explorer
Explorer
I've found that you can change the mounting location of the gas stuts to change the mechanical advantage, thus the lifting and holding power of the struts for the bed platform. Cheaper than buying increased capacity struts. Worked for us on our first Excel fifth wheel. rockin'
Rockintom
'12 Excel Limited GKE 33 ft., trailer named "Charm"
'14 1 ton Chevy DRW D/A Reese 20K hitch Fold-A-Cover bedcover - truck named "Bullet" Fulltiming since 2005

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2014 AF mattress give the DW and I a better nights rest/sleep than our residence mattress. That broom handle idea sounds like a good quick fix. Enjoy the outdoors and your AF.
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Old Duck wrote:
... Second thought, at hatchlift.com, they have a strut specifically for taking care of your problem. I've used some of their products for baggage doors and been happy with the results. They are great people to work with.

Thanks. If needed, I'll check it out. Or, get an old broom handle to hold it up.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Headroom shouldn't be an issue ... full height bedroom and plenty of room between mattress and overhead cabinet. I was mostly concerned with the weight plus it would make the nightstands seem shorter. I suppose I could always upgrade the struts if needed. We use the storage under the bed.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of thoughts, but first, on our AF (same model), we added a 1" foam topper. Without the topper it would stay up, with the topper many times I have to rest it on my shoulder or have my wife hold it up if getting a few things out. I have yet to change out the factory struts.

First thought, I've seen a few who have added a second set of struts that have worked well to keep it in the up position.

Second thought, at hatchlift.com, they have a strut specifically for taking care of your problem. I've used some of their products for baggage doors and been happy with the results. They are great people to work with.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My FW came with the upgrade memory foam mattress. I think it is an 8", but not too heavy for the struts. It seemed a little firm to me, so added a 2" gel infused memory foam topper. I'm not sure if all struts are equal, but mine still hold both up, and the comfort is great now too.

Jerry

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
The struts will likely not support open, but help open.
Height depends on your choice, will current sheets fit? Will it reduce the headroom too much? Only you will know this for yourself.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"