cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

U.S. Route 50 America's loneliest route

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
I came across this and it got me dreaming and thinking... gotta do it some day.
http://unusualplaces.org/u-s-route-50-americas-loneliest-road/
28 REPLIES 28

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
I'm not sure what you consider 'original'. I believe there's still one on 50 between Fallon and Austin just don't recall exactly where. Saw it last year in the summer. They have a way of re-appearing, not sure why anyone does that but it seems to happen a lot...

The original shoe tree that was there for decades near Middlegate was destroyed. Another may have taken its place.
According to this is was 'reborn' in a tree just east:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/932

I suspect it's just as 'good' as the original ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure what you consider 'original'. I believe there's still one on 50 between Fallon and Austin just don't recall exactly where. Saw it last year in the summer. They have a way of re-appearing, not sure why anyone does that but it seems to happen a lot...

The original shoe tree that was there for decades near Middlegate was destroyed. Another may have taken its place.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
Also the shoe tree is worth the trip.

The original shoe tree is gone.
2013 Econ 16RB TT

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also the shoe tree is worth the trip.

The original shoe tree is gone.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
We have been over this route several time and think Great basin NP is a real gem. Few people, great road art on the way up and plenty of hiking, great cave tour and good camp sites. Climb to the upper campgrounds is very steep. Most of the highway is easy driving couple of curvy climbs and high gas prices when you can find a station. Also the shoe tree is worth the trip.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have driven the road often working in Nevada doing environmental consulting. There really are few destinations and limited facilities. You have to like the quiet. It is very visual. Spring and fall are the best times. It helps if you are interested in mining history. Some people would be disappointed by such a trip. I really like stopping in towns like Austin, Eureka and Ely and spending some time.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 'Loneliest Road' moniker is just an advertising draw. 50 is not even the loneliest road in Nevada. Hwy 6 Tonopah to Ely has that claim (118 miles of zero services of any kind, no residents, no cell service. In contrast 50 is a city street.). We think it is a good drive. Interesting, scenic, unlimited boondocking along and just off the road if you want.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Nevada is nothing but cactus and rocks.

I think you're trying to keep people away so you can enjoy that Loneliest Road yourself!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
US 50 is our preferred route across NV. We avoid I-80 at all costs.

Central and northeastern NV has amazing scenery. Easy to get away from other also. One time I got out of our vehicle, walked down to the creek, and the trout didn't know enough to swim away - they just didn't know people might try to catch them!

And as you can see in the above pic, sagebrush is much more prevalent than cactus. And yes, the first pic in the link provided by the OP shows just how long the straightaways are. Just tie the steering wheel in position, set the cruise, and take a nap.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
There isn't very much cactus in NV, rocks on the other hand... Pretty much the entire state is full of rock hounding.. some places you can just park off the side of the road and collect rocks.

50 is by no means 'lonely', there's a pretty good amount of traffic on it.. however you're not likely to come across a traffic jam.

There's a lot of boondocking available as well, 86+% of the state is BLM most of which is open. And a lot of out of the way state parks. Be wary though, some state parks were built a long time ago and the campgrounds are more suited to truck campers and small trailers.

This is 361 south of 50, somewhere between Middlegate and Gabbs. Pretty good idea of the terrain, mostly grasses and sage. After all the rain this year, expect tons of jackrabbits on the roads, dead and otherwise.... lots of food and they breed like.. you know...
2013 Econ 16RB TT

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
When a person grows up seeing nothing but pine tree farms, water moccasins and mosquitos so large they need air traffic control - cactus and rocks looks interesting.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:
Nevada is nothing but cactus and rocks.

You have that opinion because you see it every day. People visiting Florida like the scenery down here but it is old hat to us. We like mountains and such because we don't have any, not even a good hill in the whole state.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Loneliest portion is from Fallon to Ely not all the way across US.
We have travel much of US 50 across the US and this portion is definely a lonely stratch. Much to see! Great views! We stayed at gravel pit campgrounds on several of the high points.
To us, Nevada is more then just rock and cacti!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I rode 50 across California, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado on the Goldwing 4 years ago. It was much more pleasant and scenic than I80. Pulling the pop up camper we can get about 175 miles on a tank but that wasn't an issue. Just get gas at every chance LOL.

As I recall there ar 7 "passes" across Nevada on 50. It is also the Pony Express route.

We were lucky in that the temperatures were in the 80's. Could have easily been over 100 in July.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)