cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Off Road Challenge - Qtr Mile

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's the beginning of a series of the Monster Factory Off Road Challenge.

Quarter Mile Test
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
13 REPLIES 13

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I'm surprised how much torque the EB in the Raptor actually put down! that's **** stout. Give me that drivetrain in the F250 please.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Raptor's as well and won't take anything away from them but I also think they are about $20k more than the Power Wagons are.. For my uses (towing the 14k trailer) the Power Wagon was a better fit...

JUST KIDDING! We still have the 3500 for that... LOL
2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
That Raptor does sound pretty sweet!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyp4951 wrote:
That Raptor is close to the quarter mile time my 69 Super Bee used to get.

440?

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
That Raptor is close to the quarter mile time my 69 Super Bee used to get.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's impossible to develop a quantitative test that gives you results that everyone's agrees with since everyone's needs vary so much.

For my personal off road needs the Power Wagon would be a better fit.

I do enjoy reading the different test attributes to see how the truck designs stack up. Having said that the Raptor and the Power Wagon are the two shining stars

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
In all reality the Power Wagon is the most capable offroad vehicle widely available in the US right now, probably excluding only a Rubicon edition Wrangler. The Raptor would be better for blasting through the desert but that's it. The others aren't even close.

Not so sure about that. Maybe if you also need to tow something. But the Raptor does very well off road and is widely available. The new Raptor is very impressive off road.

The Power Wagon has a winch, front and rear solid axles, swaybar disconnects, a locking center transfer case with locking front and rear differentials, heavier components, etc. I'll grant you that the Raptor is better suited for a high speed run on rough terrain through the desert, but in just about any other category the Power Wagon is clearly the more capable truck offroad.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
In all reality the Power Wagon is the most capable offroad vehicle widely available in the US right now, probably excluding only a Rubicon edition Wrangler. The Raptor would be better for blasting through the desert but that's it. The others aren't even close.

Not so sure about that. Maybe if you also need to tow something. But the Raptor does very well off road and is widely available. The new Raptor is very impressive off road.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
Payload of 700lbs on the raptor. Technically my quad would overload it lmao!

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
I'll bite! ๐Ÿ˜‰

"If any vehicle looked and felt at home on the trail, it was the Power Wagon. There's so much to love here: live axles, softened coil springs, dual-pivot lower control arms, a sway-bar disconnect, front and rear locking differentials, and gobs of ground clearance," said PickupTrucks.com Editor Mark Williams.

No, it was the fuel economy of the heavy-duty gasser, pokey acceleration numbers and mid-pack payload that bit away at the Power Wagon's chances of placing better among lighter, more fuel-efficient and quicker, yet mostly less off-road-capable, trucks..

Since when has fuel economy, acceleration or a payload of 1440 lbs been critical to an all around full purpose off roading rig? Even they state it fell behind 'less off road capable trucks'...

Btw, I just picked up a '15 Powerwagon as a daily driver.. Rides so much better than my 3500 SRW Cummins..
2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's the final results...

Link

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing off road about the video. They should do a 1/4 mile on dirt or rough terrain if it is an off road challenge.
Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.