cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I was in business 28 years and turned 65 last Saturday. Cancelled my business phone line. We have Verizon DSL for internet but would like something faster. We also have Dish for TV and really like it. I was hoping to use the money I saved by eliminating the business line to upgrade the internet. Verizon doesn't have anything faster than DSL without having a phone line, other than FIOS, which isn't available in our area. Since we both have cell phones, we don't need a landline. So we are looking at some other options. Comcast internet only, a hot spot or Dish Internet. Do any of you have Dish internet? If so, is it better than DSL? Mainly what I'm looking for is something were videos don't buffer so much. If that's not the answer, how about the hot spots? She has Verizon and I have Sprint. We don't stream movies or play games online.Mostly use it for web browsing, research or Face Book.
11 REPLIES 11

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Exced Satellit Internet. Now I suspect they have differnet plans but one friend of mine is a principle on Ham Nation (Google it) and he runs two way video, out of his house in the Ozarks via Excede (Bob Heil K9EID) Now the last (Current) Ep hes is not in and the one before I do not think he was home. Do not recall him in the ep before that so you may need to go back a month or more.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
Gone
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
dbechman wrote:
The throttle is what we experience.
spam spam spam spam (check this user's posts, all today, all pitching the same service, even dredging up 6 month old discussions to add the spam)

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Ok, who provides your SUBSCRIPTION TV? If you are with DirecTV or DirecHDTV then you can get an AT&T cell phone with unlmited data.

T-Mobile also has an "unlimited" plan (In fact their only plan now) but it is like most "unlimited" plans. Throttled if you go over your allotment, they do, however, make that hard to do.

The AT&T site also says they may throttle your speed after 22GB.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
What is available to you can be highly dependent on your location..

So can the actual performance of whatever provider you choose.

Note that the underlying technology of the Internet NEVER was intended to transmit in real time. It is not well suited to that, no matter what your overall average speed is.

The only meaningful answers to your question will come from local people who have the same service you are contemplating getting. A given provider might be great in one area and terrible in another.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok, who provides your SUBSCRIPTION TV? If you are with DirecTV or DirecHDTV then you can get an AT&T cell phone with unlmited data.

T-Mobile also has an "unlimited" plan (In fact their only plan now) but it is like most "unlimited" plans. Throttled if you go over your allotment, they do, however, make that hard to do.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use the internet provided by our cable provider at home which is great...

I also have a Verizon Wireless MIFI account (3GB data plan per month) to use when on the road which is only good for checking in with the kids, paying a few bills, and some surfing of the net. Works anywhere you get Verizon Wireless which is pretty much everywhere for us...

We also can use our Verizon Wireless cell phones to surf the internet mainly for simple search things...

I have a PLAN B backup which I have not used in years being a very basic NETZERO dial-up internet connection... This has telephone line dial-up points all over the US... Basically keep it because this is my internet email account address which is routed through my other high speed accounts.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forget about Dish Internet. Dish does not offer internet but they do resell other providers internet service. In nearly all cases that is satellite internet, either Hughenet Gen 4 or Excede. Neither will give you the service you currently receive via DSL (unless it's really crappy DSL).
If you have good cellular service available that might be your best option but you move into a new arena of limited data with most services so you need to know how much data you actually use.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
The cable internet are about the fastest thing available. We have 60Mb service, and there is nothing else that can touch it around here. There is FIOS service in this area but not in our small town. None of the wireless internet services can touch hardwired coax.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
What is available to you can be highly dependent on your location.. In the tiny little town I live in I have available the telephone company's DSL service, the cable TV company's cable internet service, and two independently owned local wireless internet providers. Then one can look at satellite providers too such as WildBlue. Have you tried Googling for ISPs in your local area? I just Google searched and got this:
Robesonia has two main wired providers. XFINITY from Comcast and Verizon High Speed Internet both offer wired internet service to most areas in Robesonia. Additionally, consumers in Robesonia have multiple fixed wireless options that may be a viable alternative depending on where you live.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Dish Internet service, like most sat Internet services, is very limited in both speed and bandwidth. It's generally seen as viable only when there are no other options. If you have Comcast cable Internet available and don't need the portability of a hotspot, that would likely be your best choice for maximum speed and bandwidth at a reasonable cost. Hotspots are very portable of course, but can also be expensive for any serious bandwidth needs.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate