cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake Buddy Experiences??

MoSmith1310
Explorer
Explorer
I am close to purchasing a BrakeBuddy Classic or Vantage for use with my 2011 Silverado. Before I buy this I was wondering if anyone with experience would share their pros and cons. I am a "bang for the buck" shopper and from my online research this seems like a good option. Thoughts??

V/r,
2002 Allegro Bus 40RP
2011 Silverado Z71
12 REPLIES 12

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is 4 years old. Three different toads. Never an issue.

MoSmith1310
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

V/r,
2002 Allegro Bus 40RP
2011 Silverado Z71

avan
Explorer
Explorer
I had a brake buddy and had no problem with how it worked. But I had a problem with how I worked and with how Mother Nature worked. As I aged, it has become harder and harder for me to get on my knees and for me to attach to the brake pedal required me to get on my knees, reach in my car, contort a bit )just a little bit) and reach under the dash to reach the pedal. That was hard. Harder yet, I had to get back to a standing position. My knees did not like any of it.

Getting down, working and getting up started taking more and more time and so, when Mother Nature didn't cooperate and it rained, I was exposed in a kneeling position for longer than I wanted.

I dumped my BB in the trash and put on a surge brake system (which I used to have with my much heavier boat than my toad being pulled by a much lighter tow vehicle than my MH. I bought the Blue Ox Auto Stop. Brake hookup time is now somewhere between 1 and 1.5 seconds and I can do it standing up, albeit bending.
JMO
www.putt10.net

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Vantage and it works perfectly. My first try was with a standard cig lighter outlet and I burned up the compressor. After repair, I build a dedicated 15 Amp outlet/circuit. Never a problem after that.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Chose Classic. Excellent customer service. Did use the direct wire to the battery for the right amount of voltage to operate the BB. Had an issue or two over the years, but BB fixed and even sent a loaner to our destination to have for returning home. Lots of brands out there, but I prefer Brake Buddy.

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
Classic 12 years still working great, no repairs or problems. We are not full timers so it only gets light usage. Dick

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I used my original BB for about 14 years and it worked great. I powered it with a little jumper/aux. 12 volt battery jobby that I wanted to have along anyway.
since I got my TT I haven't used it but have not gotten up the ambition to assemble all parts and put it on Craig's list. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We used a BB for 8 years with no problem. When we got a new tow car (Fiat) the BB would not physically fit - I don't know if this is a problem with other small cars or not, but something to keep in mind.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
It's a good product and works well but it has an Achilles heel, the internal compressor is prone to burn out if it experiences low voltages.

That's a very good point. Brake Buddy will sell you a power kit for about $20 if you order it, and free or nearly always free if you call and ask for one. What the kit does, is provide a dedicated, heavy gauge wire, quality socket and a fuse. BB experienced a lot of problems when cars went from "Cigar Lighter" that could handle probably 20 amps, to "Power Outlet" rated 10 amp and marginal at that. The kit will reduce your compressor burnout risk to a very low level.

In a call to BB tech support (VERY helpful bunch!) they told me the logic system (when and how to apply the brake) needs good, solid power also. This reinforces the need for that KIT. Be sure the KIT you get has a METAL outlet. At one point BB sent a kit with a plastic outlet and those can't handle the amp load. Last time I looked at the BB site, it still shows the plastic outlet (socket) but they're actually sending kits with METAL. Everybody has to learn, I guess...

We had a BB "Classic" that finally gave out and it was better to pay BB to "trade" it for a new "Vantage" than the cost to repair the "Classic." Big difference is Classic applies the brake "Fully" When the Sensitivity Setting tells it to, and How (degree of pedal pressure) the Pressure Setting tells it to. The Vantage can do that, but also offers "Proportional" braking. Speaking just for me, but from owning both, Proportional is marketing hype. I don't expect, or even want, my toad system to assist with routine braking. I want it to bring it's A-Game when I really need it for panic stop or toad breakaway.

So, I would not pay extra to get a Vantage over a Classic. I would go to the effort to install the Power Kit. I've run the Breakaway into the toad, near the power socket. Not all that inconvenient to put in/take out.

BB is especially good if your toad is toadS plural. That was part of the reason we went BB originally. If one toad is heavier, all I have to do is change the Pressure Setting to go from one to the other.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
It's a good product and works well but it has an Achilles heel, the internal compressor is prone to burn out if it experiences low voltages. I had one fail had it fixed but have since switched over to the Blue Ox Patriot, A very similar product but does not have the compressor issue.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I've had one for 12 years. Repaired once about 6 years ago, no charge.
Good people and good product.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
We have had one (a classic?) for about fifteen years, and 70k to 80k miles. The diaphragm failed about five years ago. I sent it to them, and they promptly repaired and shipped it to our next destination. About a month ago, the part that attaches to the brake pedal would not hold securely, and they mailed me replacement parts for free.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor