cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow hitch for 1969 Buick Skylark

Chris_In_Austra
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to fit a light duty hitch to our '69 Buick Skylark.
As you've probably guessed, such hitches aren't common here in Australia. I can get a hitch from a '70 Pontiac Tempest/GTO.
Will the Pontiac hitch fit my Buick?

Thanks for all replies. Hopefully I can help someone here one day, I've been in the RV industry for 25 years.

Chris
5 REPLIES 5

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Yep a '70 LeMans/GTO hitch will fit, it's the same A-body chassis.
You know, it's funny... people today forget or don't know, but back in the day everyone towed everything with cars, not pickups. You still see it when you look at old photos.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
We used to pull our Aristocrat Lo-Liner with a 1969 Buick GS400, which was basically a souped up Skylark. If I am remembering correctly, we even had a WDH installed on it. We traveled all over the western US and never had a bit of trouble with it.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Chris In Australia wrote:
I'd like to fit a light duty hitch to our '69 Buick Skylark.
As you've probably guessed, such hitches aren't common here in Australia. I can get a hitch from a '70 Pontiac Tempest/GTO.
Will the Pontiac hitch fit my Buick?

Thanks for all replies. Hopefully I can help someone here one day, I've been in the RV industry for 25 years.

Chris

Chris I'm not sure of the hitch but the cars were very similar. I would love to see pictures of your Pontiac. I had a cream colored 70 Pontiac Tempest/GT37.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Both are GM A-Body (Cutlass, GTO, LeMans, Skylark, GS, Chevelle). Yes, it will fit. Usually hitches will have slotted holes to allow for adjustment on those years cars. Also, it may require use of holes drilled in the bumper or use of holes in the bumper already for bolting bumper to the frame, in my experience.

The cars are body on frame, and are not unit-body. The frame extends to the rear bumper.

I have done frame off resto's to several of the late 60's early 70's GM A-bodies. Several cars I had, had hitches....I found pics of them pulling large boats and even smaller TT's. With larger V8, TH350 trans, and full frame, usually those cars had towing capability around 3,000 to 5,000 lbs. Not all of the cars, but those equipped to do so.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have some ideas but first tell us what you want to tow and how heavy it is.
Puma 30RKSS