cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for a new truck

RamGuy2500
Explorer
Explorer
Once again my truck is back in the shop. This time its the turbo being replaced. This truck has been in the shop too many times. Cracked injector, water leak in the cab, leaking fuel spout, and bad water pump. I guess I'm going to get rid of this lemon and try another one. Should I try another Ram and hope they've fixed their issues or try Ford and GM?
2018 Ford F-350 XLT, 6.7 Powerstroke 😄
21 REPLIES 21

RamGuy2500
Explorer
Explorer
Well truck is back so I guess I'll see how long it goes until my next issue. I discussed my issues with the dealer and they stated this is all normal stuff they see so they're not willing to provide any extended warranty. Of course they were willing to sell me one through some website they mentioned. According to them a Lemon is a truck with the same issue that cannot be resolved after numerous attempts. I'm losing my patience with my dealer and my truck. :M

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I own a Ram and it's been in the shop a couple times. Minor stuff though. I'm not going to sit here and say that the OP should keep his trouble prone truck just because mine's not trouble prone. I'd bail on it too. Most truck owners of any brand hardly see the shop like the OP. Sounds like he's got a lemon. Not saying that the next truck he gets won't see the shop. But chances are since most never see the shop very often then it's highly likely that he'll get a better truck next time.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Chiefcpo wrote:
Wait till the 2018's come out and get a CAT, Ram lost the contract for the Ford CTD.

Huh??? :h

OP, sorry to hear of the troubles with your truck. I did a lot of research prior to buying my truck and read the Ram/Cummins forums fairly regularly without seeing a lot of common problems. I don't think your problems are typical of the brand. Short of a couple of minor quirks including the POS General tires that came with it I love my truck.

I would also push for an extended warranty at no cost to you. That is a definite benefit whether or not you decide to keep the truck because it could be good for resale.

IMHO the new Fords and GMs look great but they still have V8 diesels that are inherently more complicated than the I6 by design. The Cummins engine has a great reputation and is truly hard to beat. It also has a dead reliable high pressure fuel pump. I would not hesitate to buy another Ram if I were looking today.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Wait till the 2018's come out and get a CAT, Ram lost the contract for the Ford CTD.

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought 4 new dodges since 2008. 2 one tons and 2 1/2tons. All were great trucks until the last one which was a 2014. Should have went on a longer road test with that one. Hated the truck. It was a lemon. Traded it in on a new duramax LTZ this fall and couldn't be happier. I suggest looking at the chev/gm line.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
Well I think they are all fairly comparable. I just sold my 01 ram cummins with over 350k on her and she was still running good. Just picked up a new ram 3500 to take its place so far quite happy with it but have only put 3500 miles on it so far
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Well I don't own a Ram truck but my parents do, that being said they have had little problems along the way but not as your having. I don't know if getting a new truck would be a fix all. Maybe just a few bugs in this one and shes good to go. If your looking then either the GM or Ford should be other good choices. Drive them both and see what fits your wallet in the long run. The simplicity of the inline 6 is a good choice when working on a newer diesel. I have seen so many of the V8 series diesels being worked on, and it doesn't appear to be a cheap job. Its kinda your call cause they all appear to be good trucks, well except when the diesel fuel system fails, or emission issues arise. Good luck keep us updated. I will tell you though, the new Dmax is quite the truck from what I have read. Have fun truck shopping.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
SouthpawHD wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Funny. Those that dont have and never have owned a Ram truck sure love to spew the lies and half truths they hear or read on the internet. ...

And of course there's one comment in every thread like this, calling someone a liar, that makes sure the brand war continues. And it's usually from a Ram owner. Let it be and maybe this place will be an even better place for learning and overall truck talk.

Hypocrisy in it's purest form.

RamGuy2500
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Funny. Those that dont have and never have owned a Ram truck sure love to spew the lies and half truths they hear or read on the internet. OK, the OP has had some issues. Big deal. Get them fixed and drive it to death. Around here there are still way more old Ram trucks that both Ford and Chevy combined. They simply do not die. Newer trucks of all brands are fairly bullet proof. But they can all also have problems. Its the luck of the draw, not inherant brand issues. So you go trade it for higher payments to get a new other brand. No guarantees you will not be back here in six months complaining about the new one too.

I think the majority of people that have commented here are Ram truck owners. :h

RamGuy2500
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
If it's under warranty i would keep it. I would also ask they sell you an extended warranty at their cost with ZERO deductible. As long AS THEY FIX THE ISSUES I WOULD KEEP IT. Personally my 11 RAM had a tie rod replaced and washer bottle under warranty, that was it. Current 15 has not seen the dealer.

But hey if U want a new truck I would get a RAM 3500 with AISIN trans.

I'm under warranty now but when that ends soon I don't want to keep handing over fists full of dollars to keep this truck going. Its in the shop every few months for random stuff. I love the performance but I'm leery about it reliability.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Funny. Those that dont have and never have owned a Ram truck sure love to spew the lies and half truths they hear or read on the internet. ...

And of course there's one comment in every thread like this, calling someone a liar, that makes sure the brand war continues. And it's usually from a Ram owner. Let it be and maybe this place will be an even better place for learning and overall truck talk.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
Water leaks in the cab are all too often part of the Ram ownership experience, unfortunately.

That said, sounds like you got a lemon. The Cummins I6 (save for the 07.5-10 early DPF trucks) is a superb engine.

I'd use this opportunity to try the 2017 SRW 3500s from each of the big three- go with the one you get the best deal on as they're all great.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Funny. Those that dont have and never have owned a Ram truck sure love to spew the lies and half truths they hear or read on the internet. OK, the OP has had some issues. Big deal. Get them fixed and drive it to death. Around here there are still way more old Ram trucks that both Ford and Chevy combined. They simply do not die. Newer trucks of all brands are fairly bullet proof. But they can all also have problems. Its the luck of the draw, not inherant brand issues. So you go trade it for higher payments to get a new other brand. No guarantees you will not be back here in six months complaining about the new one too.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
The Cummins engine is liked by many, they just hate the fact that a Ram body is wrapped around it. 😄

There is no good answer to your question, the problems could come to and end right now, or you could trade the truck for a whole new set of problems.

I thought that would be the case with my 98 I bought with 50K. Sold it to my Son with 360K and now has around 400. GREAT TRUCK!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD