Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Genny starts, runs rough and then cleans up

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Wanted to see what others thought.

Genny just started acting like this.
Fire it up, runs rough for 5-10 min, then cleans up and runs perfect.

I have never let the carb sit for more than 1 month without running gas through it.
Change the plugs/filters etc per the schedule in the owners manual.
In fact, air filter gets changed every 150 hours with the oil and oil filter.
Changed plugs per the manual.

Any ideas?
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail
57 REPLIES 57

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
clicky

I am rotating the clock spring you see on the bottom right of the carb. Where the red wires are connected.
That is what my buddy told me to rotate.

It seems to have done the trick.

I have about 6 starts on the genny, both hot and cold and it fires up.

allcool, yes, I changed out the entire choke assembly. All 1 unit. 2 large screws, take off the butterfly and unhook the vacuum hose. Easy to swap over.
I do agree this was the original problem. My old diaphragm felt different than the new one. I didn't test it under vacuum, but it felt different.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:

It will start hot, but I have to go out and rotate the choke butterfly open and then it fires right up.

What are you rotating,,? are you rotating the bi-metal choke housing..? or pushing on the choke plate itself..?

Genny chokes work a little different then a vehicle choke. Our 5500 has no fast idle, and uses a governor unlike a vehicle choke with a fast idle cam lever. So the vac breaker works a little different...

Our 5500 engine must always run at 2400rpm from start to stop, speed must remain at 2400 engine rpm, to keep the genset @3600rpm=(120v_60hz),thru its pulley/belt overdrive gearing.

So basically no 'fast/slow idle' warm-up period on our 5500. 1 rpm only on our 5500, thats 2400rpm.
The engine governor needs to advance the throttle to let its governor maintain 2400rpm within a second or 2 of start up, cold or hot. So manifold vacuum pulls open the choke valve to prevent overchoking the engine within that first second or 2 of start up.

from 5500 shop manual:
"The vacuum breaker diaphragm must not leak under a vacuum of 30 inches Hg (100 kPa). It should not take a vacuum greater than 2.4 inches Hg (8 kPa) to open the choke fully. At a vacuum of 1 inch Hg (3.2 kPa) the choke plate should be at the angle shown (Figure 8-10). If necessary, bend the link at the point shown, using two pliers."

Linc, not sure if you already changed out the vacuum breaker assembly/diaphragm..? but sure sounds like it needs a double check.
I'd look there again for a leaky rubber vac hose or ripped diaphragm, or faulty linkage..?
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

baker01
Explorer
Explorer
Sound like the electric choke is the issue now.
Electric choke assembly and vacuum breaker assembly (Figure
8-10). Conduct the following checks and adjustments
before replacing a carburetor/choke
assembly:
1. Apply 12 VDC across the heater terminals. The
choke should open fully in 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Check the heater alignment marks and realign
if out of alignment. The choke should be closed
at temperatures below 70° F (21° C). It may be
partly open above 70° F (21° C), but should
close almost completely when vibrated (engine
cranked).

If your electric choke is closed when hot it sounds like it is out of alignment or not getting power. try step one and see what it does. You should be able to loosen the three screws on the choke to adjust it.
Dusty & Mikki
Sirverado 3500 Dually 4x4
2019 Fuzion 369
2018 XPT
2006 Honda CRF450X
2006 Rhino 660
Harley FXSTC

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
These gennys have both. A vacuum diaphragm and an electrical circuit.

Well some testing is in order.
Do you have a multi-meter ?
Once you tweek it open, does it stay there ??
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
These gennys have both. A vacuum diaphragm and an electrical circuit.

The butterfly for the choke is the issue.
Not the butterfly for the engine.

The genny starts fine cold.

It will start hot, but I have to go out and rotate the choke butterfly open and then it fires right up.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
Well, now it won't start hot.

The butterfly is completely closed. I don't get it. Ugh.

Which butterfly, choke or throttle ?
I assume choke.

On this engine, what actually causes the choke to open ?

On some it is air flow (engine vacuum).
On others, there is an electric element attached to the choke plate via a bi-metal "spring". When it heats up, the spring opens the choke.

You first need to determine how it is SUPPOSED to work before figuring out why it is not.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:

No idea, sry Linc. I'm thinkin circuit board now? Only because these issues are strange, I ruined a genny once because I washed the sand off of it. After $800 in repairs at a shop it was never the same, my fault.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

dedmiston
lincster wrote:

Dammit.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

lincster
Explorer
Explorer

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Hap.

I have read the expected lifetime of the 5500 is 3500-4000 hours before it needs a rebuild or replaced.

Valve adjustment can be done with the unit mounted in the RV cabinet. I have never done it, but a buddy has.

Strabo, I totally agree with run it like a pony. People that brag about only have 240 hours on their 10 year old genny is nuts. That actually causes more problems than anything.
Genny's are built to be run for lots of hours.
My trailer is 11 years old and I have 1150 hours on it.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Run it like a pony....I mean it. New years, 46 hours in 5 days. Prez Day, 36 hours in 4 days. Time to change synthetic oil again, keep it clean....

Over 3 hours per gallon running 91 octane with full synthetic. Over 1200 hours now. I love my genny.
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE

Hap_Hazard
Explorer
Explorer
Lincster,

So glad to hear you got the generator running again. This site continues to amaze me with the expertise and experience of our members.

By monitoring this thread you and I both eventually repaired our troublesome generators with the final fix costing nothing. This thread caused me to do some overdue routine maintenance (I always keep oil & filters up-to-date but the plugs and fuel pump needed checking). Thanks to everyone for your feedback and insights.

A couple of additional question for those in the know out there:

1)What is the expected lifetime of the Onan 5500 generator? I know this is an estimate question.

2)Does anyone have directions for adjusting the valves on this unit? Can it be done when mounted inside the RV cabinet?

Thanks again to everyone,
Hap

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got it!!!

Replaced the entire choke assembly and now it fires immediately and purrs like a kitten.

No other adjustments needed or anything.

Easy and free!!!! With used carb from a buddy. Lol

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
Thanks Hap.

I will just replace the choke first.
My buddy gave me 3 used carbs to try from.

I won't take the carb apart. Too many folks I have heard from out there that say they are not rebuildable.

I will report back about the choke replacement.
It will be after Prez Day weekend since I'm going to play in a couple of days!!!!!

Rgr that...