cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dutch Oven size recommendation

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking either a 12' or 14' Camp Chef Dutch oven with feet and lid with a lip.

We cook regularly for 4 to 6 people. My initial thoughts to use it was for baking desserts, breads, rolls,.. I am leaning towards the 12', but I would be interested in everyone's thoughts. The price difference is $10.

14' Specifications:
Lid Volume: 2 3/4 Qt.
Lid Depth: 1 7/8"
Base Volume: 9 1/8 Qt.
Base Depth: 5"
Base Inside Diameter: 13"
Base Outside Diameter: 13 3/4"
Weight: 28 lbs.

12' Specifications
diameter as 12"
Capacity is 9 1/3 qts, 8 qts in the base, 1 1/3 in the lid
Weight: 21.8 pounds

thanks,
Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie
25 REPLIES 25

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
GaryKH wrote:
Little Kopit wrote:
A 13" will nest inside a 14".

The walls of any Dutch oven are less than 1/4" thick, maybe even less than 1/8"

The elbows that hold the thick wire that serves as a handle with the thick wire might be a total of 1/2". If that's the case, then then 12" is oven that will for sure nest inside a 14" oven.

Go to your Lodge, Camp Chef or ebay pages for photos of new Dutch ovens.

:C

This is correct if they are the same depth. My 12"Lodge is somewhat shallow. My 10" Camp Chief is deeper, they don't nest well.

Again I repeat my suggestion to check Cabelas for Dutch Oven carry bags. Feels like they have canvas outside, then foam, then canvas. Zipper around top to sides. By for 12", put bubble wrap inside that, bubble wrap inside the CC 10" and between 10" and top.

My purchases of this product were done in 2008 and again in 2012, but not since. Into mover for my move from Newfoundland across The Gulf in 08. Flew to Oz from The Maritimes, via Vancouver to Sydney in '12.

& I'd say that if Cabelas no longer carries the product, somebody else does.

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit wrote:

The elbows that hold the thick wire that serves as a handle with the thick wire might be a total of 1/2". If that's the case, then then 12" is oven that will for sure nest inside a 14" oven.

This is correct if they are the same depth. My 12"Lodge is somewhat shallow. My 10" Camp Chief is deeper, they don't nest well.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
thanks folks.

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
My 10" Camp Chef will fit inside my 12" Lodge.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
edm3rd wrote:
Let me re-phrase the question - will a 12" typically nest inside a 14", or is a 10" the biggest that will nest inside a 14"?

In general I'd say yes BUT different manufacturers make the handles in different styles and pot depths which might effect the ability for the pots to nest. Get all the same models of the 3 different sizes and you should be fine.

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Let me re-phrase the question - will a 12" typically nest inside a 14", or is a 10" the biggest that will nest inside a 14"?

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
edm3rd wrote:
Will any 8/10/12/14 dutch ovens "nest" inside a larger do for storage?

Sure

Natch

Of course,

Hey, the walls of any aren't so thick as to cut out nesting. Cabelas has some nice foam and cloth zipped bags that help to make safe storage places. I think I did a subject search in their catalogue to find what I bought.

๐Ÿ™‚

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Will any 8/10/12/14 dutch ovens "nest" inside a larger do for storage?

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Harley Dude. The 10" deep works great with the Volcano as it does with the 12". Love that grill!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
I have many DO, of all sizes, but the 12" is the all around most used for group numbers you are suggesting. I prefer Lodge, but nothing wrong with Camp Chef. I would suggest a 10 as well to go along with the 12 for side dishes or dessert.

Buying used cast iron is another suggestion I often give. Older the better, providing it is not damaged or beyond cleaning. I have collected cast iron skillets and so on for years. Clean them up and give out as gifts. Enjoy!
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Have fun with your new pot!

Harley_Dude
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
From my experience, I first got a 12" and it works terrific with our Volcano grill. And yes most recipes are geared toward the 12. But for just the two of us, which is most of the camping we use a 10" deep. If you go to a 10 deep you can cook a bunch more things than in a regular 10. Chickens, bone-in rib roasts, etc. That little bit of extra height really comes in handy. JMHO!

How does the 10" deep work on your Volcano? I'm thinking of getting the VG and I already have the 10" deep. Thanks.
"You're a long time underground!"

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
From my experience, I first got a 12" and it works terrific with our Volcano grill. And yes most recipes are geared toward the 12. But for just the two of us, which is most of the camping we use a 10" deep. If you go to a 10 deep you can cook a bunch more things than in a regular 10. Chickens, bone-in rib roasts, etc. That little bit of extra height really comes in handy. JMHO!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!