cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing vinyl graphics and painting

ocean_bound
Explorer
Explorer
I am having my vinyl graphics that are deteriorating removed and painted on the same way has anyone have this done before please let me know how the outcome was
Allen&carrie 2006 georgetown XL359 37ft
18 REPLIES 18

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some of the vinyl stripes peeled right off by putting a putty knife under one corner then slowly peeling it back at 180 degrees. The ones that were badly cracked and dryer I started with a plastic scraper then tried a metal putty knife, I found that a dull razor blade worked the best without digging into the gelcoat. Acetone removed the adhesive reside. If it wasn't for the ghosting underneath I would just leave the upper part white and no stripes or swirls and paint the doors an earth tone color.

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
WVbassmistress wrote:
What is the procedure for removing the peeling decals? I guess I'll Google Erase wheel...never heard of it. I'll worry about replacement after I get them off!!

Thanks

You may first wish to try heating the graphic with a hair dryer or heat gun and scraping it off. Warm sun helped the graphics peel maker easily than on shady side of the rv. Many people use a plastic scraper to avoid damage to fiberglass. Most of my vinyl came off pretty darn easily with this method, though one particularly crackled graphic was difficult to scrape, even with heat. I paced myself, doing one graphic at a time, so scraping was no big deal. If heat/scaling does not work well for yours, try the wheel. The adhesive residue came off with acetone or goof-off.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I always figured when it was time to paint the RV I'd just have them remove the decals and either paint the entire motorhome one solid color, or maybe do a two-tone paint with the floor line down being one color and the top being another.

Would that look too boring? Seems like most every motorhome has the swoosh decals. Can we go without?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
3M Eraser Wheel
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Bruce_Brown
jspringator wrote:
How did you mask the curves?

3M Fine Line Tape

Pick your size - I use 1/8" typically. When it comes to tape, spend the $$$ on the good stuff, or you'll wish you had.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
What is the procedure for removing the peeling decals? I guess I'll Google Erase wheel...never heard of it. I'll worry about replacement after I get them off!!

Thanks
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
I have taken the most weathered graphics off my 2005. I am still weighing my options for redoing them...roll-n-tip marine brightside paint...or tipical rattle can paint or maybe plastidip spray. Right now I am leaning toward that last one, as I could remove it if I was not pleased with the look. There are some neat you tube videos of plasti dip on vehicles.

ocean_bound
Explorer
Explorer
Your picture did not post would like to see it
Allen&carrie 2006 georgetown XL359 37ft

I_rv
Explorer
Explorer
I haVE A 2001 TRADEWINDS AND OVER THE WINTER IN FL. i REMOVED ALL THE STRIPES USING A HEAT GUN THEN MASKED OFF AND PAINTED WITH SPRAY CANS.I USED MULTIPLE COLORS AND BLENDED THE COLORS FROM VARIOUS PINKS AND PURPLES INTO DARK BLUE OR BLUE METALIC.I HAVE RECEIVED MANY COMPLIMENTS AND THE COACH LOOKS VERY ORIGINAL FROM FACTORY.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
jspringator wrote:
Short pieces of 1/8 masking tape. It's not absolute perfect but from a few feet can't tell. Waiting for the perfect weekend took the most time. Low humidity and no wind. Masking took several hours while paint application was maybe an hour for several coats with a short tac time between. The paint chemically hardened so tac time was fairly short.

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did the same as fyrflie but just the black stripe, so far. 3M eraser wheel in a corded drill took the sun stroked black graphic off in about two hours. First paint was with rattle can paint. Looked good for a few years then sun fade started getting noticeable. Repainted with Sherwin-Williams Dimension auto paint last summer so it's a bit early to make a judgement call on how the new paint is holding up. The erase wheels cost about $45, paint was $125 and masking material was maybe another $40. Spray gun was $75 but I've used it several times around the house.

Dealer pick up April 2011

First paint attempt after 2 years. Parked outside 24/7

Second paint attempt May 2016

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did my own about 4 years ago. Took about a week to get the old graphics off using an eraser wheel.
Taped and painted with automotive paint. I even updated the color scheme to a modern day palette.
I used a Single Stage Paint. It is holding up very well. MH stored outdoors.

You'll be happy you did it.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Ha, my replacement and paint cost around 6K. Yes, it looks great. Only thing I didn't like was they had to use pinstriping decals over the edge of new paint/old because the new paint was thicker and presented an edge they could not feather in. Good news is after about 6 years, none of that pinstriping has come loose.