cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Copper canyon rail trip

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
Plan to do the Copper Canyon railroad trip from Western side in two or three weeks Should like advice on this - and should have paid more attention to folks that have done it. Church and Church is six years old now. Tried looking it up on this forum and got four pages on Cooper a canyon RVs
Reed and Elaine
Currently at Cocoanuts in Cuytulan
14 REPLIES 14

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks
We will be there somewhere in that time zone. Currently at San Pancho and go to Chacal today and then San Blas for a few days of birding.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Feb 20-25. May not be a bad idea to arrive at the same time if you are interested in tours of El Fuerte, & the Copper Canyon area (all inclusive including, hotels & train fare, etc.) Contact Gabriel at caravanasmexico@live.com.mx if so. I know one rig backed out at the last minute so there is room if that interests you. The wagon master is Cheryl Blair dapperdog@telus.net

Regardless it's a fairly small caravan, so room should not be an issue

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila

Thanks for information. Currently at San Pancho (the RV park on beach, such as it is, is being surveyed and drone photographed since it is being sold and will be turned into beach condominiums). Bugamvillas will work well since we have sufficient solar/LFP suite to remain off line power for rest if trip. When will caravan be there so we can be fairly certain if availability

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Bugamvillas is open we use it caravans. No hookups. Senior discounts are only for Mexicans.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for posting the wrong information. I should have checked online first.
Bill

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Searching this site for "Fuerte" turned up some old posts - note dates.......

http://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29082010.cfm

Posted: 10/25/16 09:36am

There is a new park in El Fuerte. It is on the grounds of the Hotel Palma Sol. Basically still dry camping, but there is a pool. We are trying it out with a caravan in February and I will be checking it out myself in mid November. It is at the start of town if you are coming in from El Carizo on 15D, 2 blocks from Hotel Bugamvillas

Approx N 26.40880 W 108.63227

http://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28976831/gotomsg/28977125.cfm#28977125

07/28/16 11:53pm

Pick Nogales, or a bit west, at Lukeville (drive south from Gila Bend, AZ). That would get you on Mexico 15, a long drive, maybe sto at San CArlos, then drive on, to eventually turn east from Los Moches, go to El Fuerte and take the train from there. The campground where we stayed in years past, is not there now, but there are places you can park near motels that will look out for your rig. Taxi to the train, where the interesting parts happen faster than if you started at Los Mochis.

http://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28771814.cfm

Posted: 02/26/16 04:42am

Hotel Bugambilias
698-893-1553

Posted: 02/26/16 08:59am

sweetmaitee@hotmail.com

We use her for dog sitting for our caravans. She generally gets good reviews.

Also find her on facebook "maitee yuridia alcaraz"

I have some info on an organized tour from there in late March, if you want that. PM me if you want the info. You can do it OK on your own, though, but hire a guide, regardless, when you get up there, you will miss a lot of what is around there trying to explore on your own, getting to spots like tamahumara villages is not easy.

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
Churchs' suggest Hotel Bugalamasia in El Fuerte and found a post from last year but no luck in phone calls. Will try further

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Post a report with pictures when you get done.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. Need to go on line and find the RV park in El Fuerte
Reed and Elaine

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Here are the prices. Senior discount is 50% and is marked on the tables on the website El Chepe

We left our rig in San Rafael (the canyon, end of the highway) and took the train to El Fuerte and spent the night at Hotel Herradura.

Blog Post - Copper Canyon
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The railroad still runs. But it has been years since you could put your RV on a flatcar. I think some private firm is running the tours so it is more expensive. We did it when it was run by the CPR: Chihuahua Pacific Railroad. The cars were from Spain or Italy and looked like something from a Clint Eastwood movie. I don't remember the fare but it was around $15.00!!!!! One heck of a ride. We did it twice. Did you Google Copper Canyon rail ride??

Moisheh

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure it's no longer running.

Talleyho69
Last I read was that you caught it at El Fuerte, and there is a park there.

There is no longer an RV park in Los Mochis.

Nvr_lost
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure it is still in use? I thought that I had read years ago that it was stopped. I haven't seen anyone write about the Mexican railroad trip in years.