cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool gadgets

Texasghoul
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have a list of some cool gadgets to add to a toy hauler?
17 REPLIES 17

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have a satellite dish, and we often camp where there is neither cable TV nor good OTA reception. So, I got a Raspberry Pi computer, installed OpenELEC operating system on it and added a couple of 128GB USB thumb drives. On the thumb drives I recorded a bunch of our favorite movies. Now when we are without a TV feed, we can simply click on "Movies" in the "Kodi" Media Center app on the Raspberry Pi, and voila! Entertainment. (I also installed fairly extensive music and photo libraries accessible via Kodi.)

If you are not familiar with Raspberry Pi, check it out (here). It's a powerful little computer in a package about the size of a deck of cards. I have another one at home that I use for a Plex Media Server. With that one, I can access all my movies, music and photos via the internet, even when I'm away from home.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I like to carry a radiant thermometer to check tires at rest stops.

johnm1
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimedaniel - I would love to hear more about this upgrade. Such as, what is the 50A fuse and where to get it? Did you seal the boxes afterwards? Are they water proof? Tips opr tricks you learned while doing the job?

If you can't tell, I've wanted to tackle this but haven't gotten to it yet.

To the original question ... I bring along an extendable pole (like used for washing windows on the 2nd floor of a house). I can add different attachments to it so I can free the toy/Frisbee/airplane/darts, etc that the mean trees take from my kids. Dang trees, it's all they're fault! ๐Ÿ™‚
johnm
'13 GMC Serria D/A, CC, 4x4
'16 Forest River Vengeance 25V

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
atwowheelguy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

What happened there? Bearing failure? Did you add those blocks under the Trailer Aid? Was it not tall enough?

The sealed bearing was never fully seated so the "C" clip was not in it's slot. We were on California highway along coast south of Carmel in the winding roads. It caused the Rotor to slide inwards and it contacted the Caliper mounting plate. Things got VERY hot. Lucky we did not loose the brake fluid. I cut a pc of wood to fit between the pads and strapped the caliper to the suspension and re installed the wheel/rotor and traveled another 125 miles to camp. Contacted Kodiak they made it all good.

With the CenterPoint suspension yes the blocks are needed with the TrailerAid.

The Mobile Suites weighed 18-19K, IMHO the TrailerAid Plus is plenty strong and more safe than a bottle jack!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

What happened there? Bearing failure? Did you add those blocks under the Trailer Aid? Was it not tall enough?
2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
How about some cool gadgets like...oh I don't know...Shock absorbers, adding disc brakes, redoing your electrical connections on your pigtail for easier maint. and troubleshooting? And maybe a "real" 50 Amp fuse at the battery instead of the standard one?

See the photo below

This will get you farther and do more than all the "Cool" gadgets money could buy.

jwandvassie
Explorer
Explorer
The best gadget that we have ever purchased is our ice maker.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
My best advice is to go camping and determine for yourself what would make life better. While in camp and on forums look what others are using.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Texasghoul wrote:
Anyone have a list of some cool gadgets to add to a toy hauler?

There is a thread under the "General RdVing Issues" sub forum category called. Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos that might help you.

downtheroad wrote:
How about adding this cool gadget to your toy hauler.....

I'll add that cool gadget to my collection any time!!! Sold my bike quite a few years ago and really wish I kept it.
However, my days of ripping down the road at 125MPH on 2 wheels are long gone..... Somehow, I survived!:B
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
How about adding this cool gadget to your toy hauler.....

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Hiker_01
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on all the above.

What has worked best for me is to slowly add those things that I discover I really need to have. The first I find I need something (or something could really be great to have), I make a mental note. The second time it happens, I add it to a wish list. The third time, I go out and get it. This way, I only add those things I find I am really needing.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Gadgets just turn into clutter eventually, and eventually are tossed out.

Agree - "gadgets" are nothing more than clutter. Amazing how one can get along just fine without all this C***. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380