cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replaced dinette with Easybed and cabinet!

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winnebago 2201DS modification
Here's our modified 2014 Winnebago Minnie 2201DS modification. We replaced the dinette with a Flexsteel Easybed (74" Ellsworth model) and a dark cherry Cubby Cabinette built by the folks at Bradd & Hall located in Elkart, IN. We are really happy with the change as the couch is really comfortable and converts to a bed when necessary. The front kick panel of the couch lifts off and there is a lot of room under the easybed for storage. Right now, we have some linens, vacuum cleaner, broom, mop, and a few othe miscellaneous items stored under the couch. The Cubby cabinet has three very room drawers.

Without the dinette, the trailer seems much more spacious. And, when the slideout is in, it is very easy to get access the kitchen and bathrom areas, which is very handy when on the road.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption
18 REPLIES 18

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillB800si wrote:
This may sound strange but where do you eat now? No dinette - no table & chairs???????

I look forward to a nice steak and a glass of wine occasionally at the table. 🙂

When the weather is nice, we prefer to eat on the picnic table outside.
When inside, we're pretty handy at eating on the sofa with the help of a snack tray or two! "It's a tough job, but someone has to do it!":W
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
This may sound strange but where do you eat now? No dinette - no table & chairs???????

I look forward to a nice steak and a glass of wine occasionally at the table. 🙂
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
tnrv'er & westend....Thanks for the kind words. We were lucky enough to have the $$ to buy what we wanted. By choosing actual RV furniture (or at least Flexsteel products), you can get them in sizes commonly found in RVs and Bradd & Hall make their cabinets based upon what works in RVs. After selecting the 74" Easybed, I searched around for a end table that would fit in the remaining space and I really couldn't find anything that only had an 11" wide top, let alone three nice drawers that are used in the design by Bradd & Hall. And, their darker cherry finish is a real close match for the trim found in my Minnie.
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it all fit in there like a glove. Nice furnishings, too!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice conversion. We have a couch in our KZ that we much prefer over a dinette.
I dont know why more manufactures dont offer the couch or 2 recliners as an option.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another consideration is that at least in the Winnebago Minnie series using the Schwintek slide out, they are offer models with a sofa, and one has a sofa with a wardrobe. So, it may be worthwhile to check other models of trailers made by the manufacturer of your trailer and see what layouts they offer using the same slideout as you have.

I really don't think you would have a problem replacing a dinette with two recliners unless you were to pick out extremely heavy recliners.
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I gave that some thought. In my case, I took in consideration that not only was there the original weight of the dinette, but also the stuff that was stored in the storage areas. Then, there was the weight of the adjustable post I had added as well as the table top itself, which wasn't exactly light. So, I proceeded with the project. After having the Easybed and cabinet installed, I operated the slide out several times, listening carefully for any change in sounds that could be a sign of a problem and I didn't hear any. So, I'm not really worried about any problems, but I'll know more after our upcoming 6 week trip.
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

TheBeans
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice! We've been talking about taking out the dinette in our rig and putting in either a small sofa like yours or two small wall-hugger recliners. My biggest concern is the weight factor as the dinette is in the slide-out portion of the trailer. Anyone know anything about finding out what the weight limit is on a slideout?
Wendy & Darrell
2014 Cougar Half-Ton 21RBSWE
2020 Ford F150

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice job Stephen, tnx for taking the time to post the pic.
The cabinets look great and bring it all together.
Double bag that 5 lbs of potatoes, they might find their way to that couch. Once they make themselves comfortable, it's hard to get rid of them . 🙂

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
NYCgrrl wrote:
Nice looking mod that allows you to use the space the way you want.
Thanks for making me re-think the "wheel":c.

Thanks for the kind words. I learned from this experience. We're considering getting a used class C in a few years and if we do, I wouldn't be worried about changing some furniture if needed. And, I know a little more what to look for in terms of removing a fixed dinette.
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
Great mod. The wife and I look a different models often. I always tell her that if we ever see a trailer we like that isn't exactly right that I would do something similar to what you've done. Only we would go the two recliner route instead.
Very nice clean look.

We considered recliners but one of our needs was for a place for my DW to escape to when I go into a loud snore routine....doesn't happen too often, but it does. Another advantage is keeping some storage area as we take multiple week trips....one of the great aspects of retirement.
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking mod that allows you to use the space the way you want.
Thanks for making me re-think the "wheel":c.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Great mod. The wife and I look a different models often. I always tell her that if we ever see a trailer we like that isn't exactly right that I would do something similar to what you've done. Only we would go the two recliner route instead.
Very nice clean look.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
scbwr wrote:
SoundGuy...I agree that it would be nicer if the slide wasn't elevated. But, we bought the Minnie because we like other features including the amount of storage in the bathroom and the outdoor kitchen. We've been very pleased with the trailer, but the dinette just wasn't very cozy for watching tv, reading, etc.

Yeah, I totally get it 🙂 ... we all have our preferences and ours was to find a floorplan of this size that had a much more useful sofa instead of a dinette and one that did not have an elevated platform in the slide. As I said, great mod you've done. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380