cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator Recommendations

kfrost72
Explorer
Explorer
We've been dry camping a lot more and our poor old generator has seen the last of it's days. It was one we had before we bought our TT and it would recharge the batteries, but wouldn't run the AC.

Now that we need to buy a new generator we'd like to buy one that runs our 13,500 BTU air conditioning but we're uncertain what level of generator we need to do that. Anyone have any recommendations?
40 REPLIES 40

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
If I had known about the MicroAir I would have kept the 11K AC on my camper but opted for a 9.2K AC so I could use my Honda 2000i generator. My suggestion is a MicroAir and a Honda 2000i.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go. I filmed my experience yesterday with running my air conditioner.

As you see, my story ends with success. However, if I were buying new again, I would go with a pair of EU2000's so as to not be on the margin.

Yamaha 2400 running air conditioner with hard start capacitor installed.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

wyocowboy00
Explorer
Explorer
Consider also whether the gen will be used (and relied on) at sea level or in the mountains at considerable altitude. I live in Wyoming at 7,000 ft altitude and my gen is derated almost 30% due to the altitude.
2012 Chev. Silverado 3500HD DRW 4 X 4
2013 Arctic Fox 992 240 watts solar
Jerry & Judy

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Just today, I installed a hard start capacitor and my Yamaha 2400 ran my 13.5btu for over an hour, through several cycles and didn't have any problem. It did show the overload light for less than one second right at startup.

I filmed my experience and will be posting on YouTube soon.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Smallest would be the Yamaha 2800is. The Honda 3000i is nice too but bigger, and heavier. Neither are particularly portable. The Honda is considerably quieter.

The Yamaha 2400i would be nice, if it'll run the A/C, you'd have to find someone or some where to try it before you bought. The chart on the Yamaha site says it will not run the A/C.

I've heard the Honda 3000i before, like all day long, if it were me this is the one I'd get.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Daveevans
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys! I know I am a little late to the conversation but hopefully this helps someone out there.

If you require a generator that can run a 13,500 BTU AC unit you will need to look in the 3000W range. An inverter generator such as the Briggs and Stratton 30545 has 3000 surge/starting watts and 2600 rated/running watts and would be able to run a 13,500 BTU AC unit. It also has a display screen which tells you what percentage of the overall output is being consumed.

In addition to power output you should also consider noise emissions. No one wants their campsite to sound like a construction zone. If you are looking for quiet portable power you are in the market for an INVERTER generator (as opposed to a conventional generator). Inverters also produce a "cleaner" power source that is suitable for sensitive electronics such as laptops and smartphones. The inverting process produces a smoother sine wave that will not damage the microprocessors within these electronics.

Many people swear by Honda's and Yamaha's and they are the industry leaders when it comes to inverter generators BUT there are many alternative companies (ie Champion, WEN, Westinghouse) putting forth very competitive products at a lesser price that merit consideration when shopping around for a generator.

I found this website to be extremely helpful when deciding which generator best suits your needs;

quietpowergenerators.com

The "inverters vs generators" page is very insightful and arms you with the knowledge necessary to make an educated purchase. They also have detailed reviews of the latest and best selling inverter generators on the market.

The units that would be capable of powering a 13,500 BTU AC unit are the Briggs and Stratton 30545, the WEN 56310i and the Champion 75537i - all of which are reviewed in detail on the site.

I hope this helps! Happy RVing/camping and all the best,
Dave

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
Oh... as for the Champion 4000 watt generator, that sucker is as ear-splittingly loud as people say it is. I can't wait to get my Yamaha generator fixed, assuming it is fixable, so next year I can hold a conversation at a normal volume anywhere near it. The only advantage that it has over my 3000 watt iSE is that the A/C's compressor doesn't play tug o' war with the generator for a brief bit when it comes on.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
tdst51 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
ulvik wrote:
Champion 3100 inverter generator. Read the reviews on here, it has become one of the best on the market and will easily pull your 13,500 btu air-conditioner. We ran our 15,000 btu AC at 7,000 ft and no issues what so ever. Best inverter generator I have ever owned and it was less than half the price of the Honda I had.

I've been reading a lot of good things about this Champion. The wireless remote start seems a good feature too.

I've got twin Yamaha 2k generators, they'll run my 13.5 after I put an aftermarket capacitor on it. Without the cap, starting was hit and miss.

They may be okay, but, I'm sorry, not even in the same class as the Yamahas or Hondas. And you had to put aftermarket capacitor on it? Don't understand that one bit, but whatever. And the Champion just as quiet as the Honda? I don't think so. People may claim that; it's just not true. Maybe within a decibel or two? Maybe, but that is a big difference. Check out You Tube- lots of comparisons.

My Honda EU3000i would not run my single 12,000 btu roof air until I installed the capacitor kit. ON THE ROOF AIR. It does not go on the generator.

I do LOVE my Honda but it will not fit my latest rig. After much research I will likely be installing a Champion 3100
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
mx727 wrote:

Agree. I have the Honda EU7000 and I have a Champion 5500 watt construction generator. That Champion set out side for two years while building a house. Never failed to start. Never had an issue. Ended up selling it to a sub once we had utility hooked up and no longer needed it. People that denigrate Champion have never owned one.

In your opinion, how loud was your Champion construction generator?

I have only one A/C, so I am using a 4000 watt Champion open-frame. However, because I have yet to find a service place that will even look at my Yamaha, I am looking at a dual-fuel Champion 3100/3400 watt model as a replacement.

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
brooks379 wrote:
IMHO 2 Honda ei2000 gens are the way to go. They are light enough you can move them around easy, quiet, hook them together and you have enough power to run the AC. Easy to store away out of sight. Fill them up and they will run all night long. I have had 2 for about 5 or 6 years and they have been 2 of the best little gens I ever could have bought !!
WE PREFER THE YAMAHAS.. HAD BOTH...

mx727
Explorer
Explorer
ulvik wrote:

Sorry but I have owned both a Honda 3000 and a Champion 3100 and if I had to buy another one tomorrow I would buy another Champion 3100 without a second thought. Then I would take the remaining $1600 I would have spend on another Honda and take a month RV trip. Not knocking Honda it was a good generator also. It may be a hair quieter if any but for the price it is no comparison to the Champion. I had about 400 hours on the Honda before someone needed more than me but as of now I have 350 hours on the Champion with no issues what so ever.

Agree. I have the Honda EU7000 and I have a Champion 5500 watt construction generator. That Champion set out side for two years while building a house. Never failed to start. Never had an issue. Ended up selling it to a sub once we had utility hooked up and no longer needed it. People that denigrate Champion have never owned one.

Plus, with the savings you could buy a second 3100 and parallel it to have more wattage than you'll ever need. 🙂

2 dual fuel Champions and the parallel kit for $2300 or the same setup in Honda for $4200. I know that if Champion would've had this generator when I was shopping, I would've got it in a heartbeat vs. my Honda 7000. Boondocking at NASCAR in the summer requires both AC units sometimes and I needed wattage.

Anyone want to buy a Honda EU7000is with remote start? LOL
2017 Montana 3950BR

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
Yes the champions charge their battery
And they come with a trickle charger you can plug into the garage outlet for maintaining the battery during long storage times

Excellent. That's doing it right! Good design and construction warms the heart.

Another example would be the altitude adjustment knob on our built-in Onan generator ... no messing with jet change-outs required for altitude changes on RV trips. I wonder if any portable generators have this?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MrWizard
Yes the champions charge their battery
And they come with a trickle charger you can plug into the garage outlet for maintaining the battery during long storage times
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regarding the Champion 3400 wireless remote for starting and shutting down: Whenever it's running, is it's starting battery getting charged automatically by a built-in charger?

(The 4500 watt electric start backup generator in our stick house does not charge it's starting battery whenever it's running - I have to attach a separate external charger to it's starting battery to keep it charged between uses. This is a bit of an inconvenience.)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C