cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm Out Of Room On My Battery Terminal Post... Options?

freetheheal
Explorer
Explorer
I have Trojan T-105 batteries and I'm out of room on the (+) terminal post. Right now I have two wires running to that post and they are both stock wiring that came on the trailer. With those two wires on the post I can barely get the nut on the threaded post. I still need to add two more (small compared to the stock trailer wires) connectors to the terminal. Is there anything made that would extend the post so I can fit the other wires? Any other ideas? Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
BigDogF250 wrote:
I know it might sound counter intuitive, but have you considered not running things directly from the battery? Instead pull them to the 12V wiring panel inside the trailer. I did this, replacing the run from the batter to the panel (4ga) and replaced the 12v panel with a bigger one. Solved all the 12v problems I was having because of corrosion, 5 connections plus the generator at the battery, and a cheap 12v panel. It's also cleaner now, and easy to work on with only one breaker style fuse at the battery.

At some point it's easier to just rewire rather than continue to grow the rats nest at the battery. Up to you because every situation is different, just throwing it out there.

This is a great point on system design! less connections is better and easier to maintain.

Another thing to remember -if you have a Battery Gauge like a Trimetric / Link / BMK / etc all negative connections must be connected before the shunt of the negative cable to accurately track the in/out of ah to the battery.

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Check out VTE Warehouse for busbars, power posts, and insulating caps for large wire gauges.

VTE Warehouse

BigDogF250
Explorer
Explorer
I know it might sound counter intuitive, but have you considered not running things directly from the battery? Instead pull them to the 12V wiring panel inside the trailer. I did this, replacing the run from the batter to the panel (4ga) and replaced the 12v panel with a bigger one. Solved all the 12v problems I was having because of corrosion, 5 connections plus the generator at the battery, and a cheap 12v panel. It's also cleaner now, and easy to work on with only one breaker style fuse at the battery.

At some point it's easier to just rewire rather than continue to grow the rats nest at the battery. Up to you because every situation is different, just throwing it out there.
Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent.
06 Weekend Warrior FSC3200, Axles flipped, Bridgestone Duravis Tires
2005 Ford F250 PSD 4x4
07 Yamaha YZF450 White/Silver, 94 Husqvarna WXC610
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2011 Honda CBR1000RR & one Goffin Cockatoo

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
atwowheelguy wrote:

http://www.wiringproducts.com/power-distribution-blocks

Or just mount a terminal block and run your connections from there.

just ordered two of the wiring products versions, should really clean things up. Also saw a solution for the DW's Fusion battery. Ford wants to sell you a full wiring harness if the positive terminal toasts. Received them yesterday, nice quality and will be perfect, I have 4 wires at each terminal and there are 4 connections. Although these are intended for side terminal batteries the hole is 5/16" same as my 6 volt. Won't get to doing it for a week or so but will try to post before/after pics when I'm done.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
He gave the link- http://www.wiringproducts.com/power-distribution-blocks

I know that but that particular one in the picture is nowhere to be found on the referenced website. I DID look before I posted.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
atwowheelguy wrote:

Where did you find this one? I've searched the site and cannot find it. That would be PERFECT for me.

I really don't want to mount a terminal strip to a wall.

https://www.amazon.com/getwiredusa-TERMINAL-CONNECTOR-POSITIVE-NEGATIVE/dp/B01LXDIJ9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=...
2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

freetheheal
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm having trouble find what I need in a distribution block. The input is 1/0 from the positive post on my battery. Then I need two 2AWG outputs and two 10AWG outputs. I can't find anything that does two 2AWG outputs (some do have one). I called a couple places and it sounds like I need to go with a stud type junction block Here. Does anyone have a reason why this won't work?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of choices ! Watch this video.

Power Distribution Products Buss Bars

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
atwowheelguy wrote:

Where did you find this one? I've searched the site and cannot find it. That would be PERFECT for me.

I really don't want to mount a terminal strip to a wall.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

freetheheal
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies and the ideas.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My battery wiring uses 99% of 5/16-inch Ring Terminal wiring. I have always followed the golden rule of no more than two ring terminals mounted to a 5/16-inch stud. One ring terminal placed on the lug in one direction and the second one flipped over for the second connection.. This keeps the Ring terminal lug ends from being bent when installed.

You are most definitely flirting with battery wiring failure doing something like this photo install from google

google image

You will want to have a clean install arrangement of the wiring so that you can perform good observation of each connection and make sure they are not getting hot from corrosion or loose connections.

I like to use BLUE SEA HD Bus bar Terminal Studs are available from AMAZON. They also have covers for the POSITIVE terminals for protection from being shorted to ground.

Hopefully one can mount something like this off to the side somewhere so you can easily get to all of the battery connections with ease for inspections.

Just my thoughts...
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Flatten out a piece of copper tubing and drill a few holes in it.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
Can this picture be any bigger?

I hope so, I'm having trouble seeing it. :B