Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite radio

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
Looking for advice on how to route an antenna cable from the roof on my motorhome. I'll be using a portable radio but the antenna will stay put. Also would be interested in alternative antenna options. The radio will be on or near the dash panel.
Thanks
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
17 REPLIES 17

cruzbill
Explorer
Explorer
Shakespear makes a very nice Sirius antenna. Mounted one on my runabout boat and one on my 21'TT.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sirius-Satellite-Radio-Galaxy-SRA-Antenna/737533.uts?productVariantId...

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
I also used silicon to attach the antenna to the roof and to seal the cable hole. It's been 6 years with no issues. I also ran the ant cable down the A-pillar through the dash to the radio. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
don't know if you already have the radio, but if not, look into the ala carte program. I have that and move my radio between two vehicles and the house.
bumpy

dakdave
Explorer
Explorer
I fastened a small piece of metal on top pf my air horns tubes with small sheetmetal screws magnet mount on this.Small hole in end cap sealed with dum-dum.(plumbers putty) dave

AstroRig57
Explorer
Explorer
Others have said it and I will add my two cents as well.

If you have a fiberglass roof, or even fiberglass front cap, the satellite radio antenna does not have to be mounted on the outside of the coach.

We are satellite radio junkies and, in addition to having them in all our cars, we have a Sirius Boombox that uses a Sirius Sportster 5 as the receiver.

That same Sirius Sportster 5 is used as the satellite receiver in the motorhome, mounted to the dash with a modified SiriusXM Dock & Play Vehicle Kit and plugged into the AUX input on the in-dash radio. (It's also used on the two home audio systems using SiriusXM Dock & Play Home Kits.)

The antenna is mounted INSIDE the RV on a metal stud/support for the front cap cabinets with the cabling run behind the trim on the driver's side A-pillar.

The system works perfectly and except when passing under long overpasses or other overhead obstructions, the reception never cuts out.

As an aside, this same system was used in our past Coachman Class-C, also with the antenna mounted inside, and it worked perfectly there as well.
2005 Winnebago Sightseer WFD30B "rigged for night" with red LED lighting for night adapted vision.

Do you remember when the sky was dark, and the stars were bright?
The International Dark-Sky Association
American by birth...Scottish by the Grace Of God.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a slide out behind the drivers seat run it through that opening.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Rog___Nan
Explorer
Explorer
Ours has been on the dash for over 11 years. Did order a second antenna,same as the one that came with our boon box receiver. So we could just unplug inside and carry boom box out and have attendant attached. Since Iris's and XM have become one we don't even have to stretch out antenna even works under the awning. Good luck.
Rog & Nan
'96 Cruise Master
32' no slide (love it)
'2010 Vue Saturn Toad
Roadmaster Tow & Brake
Banks Power

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
on my highlander I just set it on the dash. use a magnetic one on the roof of my truck.
if you want it on an aluminum roof, just silicone seal a small piece of steel to the roof and set a magnetic one there and run the skinny wire inside.
bumpy

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I tried mounting mine inside (fiberglass front cap) but the reception wasn't good. Silicon'd it to the roof and ran the antenna wire in the CB antenna penetration. Hit the grommet with some silicone - done.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
wtmtnhiker wrote:
Hi all,
Looking for advice on how to route an antenna cable from the roof on my motorhome. I'll be using a portable radio but the antenna will stay put. Also would be interested in alternative antenna options. The radio will be on or near the dash panel.
Thanks

in our previous motorhome we had a multi-disc CD player in the overhead cabinet in front of and above the driver's seat. our magnetic base satellite antenna was placed on top of the CD player. no significant issues.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever way you choose, be sure to use silicone to seal it. Water will go through any cracks there are. On top of the roof is the "cleanest" way to go.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Should have mentioned that it is an aluminum roof
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my trailers I liked to drill through the sides of the trailer up near the roof line. Most of the time this will go into a ceiling mounted cabinet on the inside where you can route the cable where it needs to go...

These are for radio scanners and Ham radio things... The SAT RADIO antenna you will probably need is not a whip mounted type and probably should be on the flat roof. I hate drilling anything through the roof area...

This is on my 5th wheel...

Roy's image

This is on my POPUP trailer...

Roy's image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If Roof is NOT metal (IE: Fiberglass or rubber) try putting the antenna inside, on top of whatever you can put it on top of. Sat TV receiver, Radio stack, one of the small shelves next to overhead compartments.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times