cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bison in Banff

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
This is neat! Maybe we'll see them this summer.

Bison
10 REPLIES 10

weasel4
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone coming into Edmonton on Highway 16 from the east, there is Elk Island Park about 20 miles east of Edmonton. Lots of wildlife in there. Plus it's a National Park, no fees this year.

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
The horns haven't been removed. They put protective covers over them to prevent injury during transport. They will eventually fall off.
Dan

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
They look a little different. Must be Woods Buffalo, which I guess we don't have any here.Looks like they cut the tips off the horns
They will need them. We saw several wolfs on the road to Baniff.
Had a bunch of Goats get on the road in front of us. Wouldn't move.
They looked like they were trying to pick the rocks out of the pavement.
After left over salt, we couldn't see I suspect. No Billies with the horns though.
We sat there for an hour or more before they decided to move on. had several RVs and other traffic stopped both ways.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
August 01,2015
We had just re-enter BC from Watson Lake and was greeted with this warning sign.

It didn't take long to run into a herd of bison, right along the highway.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Mr_Biggles
Explorer
Explorer
The Bison are being kept in a remote area of the Park for a while. There are 16. I doubt they will be seen for a few years. Once the herd gets bigger, they will be allowed to roam more freely.
2011 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73 Tow package
2013 Evergreen i-Go G239BH

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
One buff got close to my vehicle on a road at Custer SP and all I could think about was how much damage it could do. Wife remained composed and took pictures. Fabulous! Why am I so lucky to see this beautiful country?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

luckyd
Explorer
Explorer
The Bison were removed from Banff several years ago and just
recently returned. They have always been in a paddock and not allowed
to roam free. I have seen more bison in South Dakota than in Banff.

That being said.....enjoy Canada's Parks.

Hopefully you will find a place to park this year as the park is "FREE"

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
Last night on the news, this story was mentioned. It was also reported that the bison will be kept in a paddock for the next 16-18 months, to make sure that the project will be successful.
Dan

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I think that may be the most beautiful trip we ever took.
It's a trip everyone should make once!

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Just don't be one of those people who thinks it's a good idea to feed them or get close for a selfie. There are videos of the outcomes of that too.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley