cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight loss - Dr. Doug Update

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
One of our senior male Bostons who just turned 12 is starting to loose some weight. We are starting to notice we can see the very back part of his rib cage.

Nothing else is changed, his overall health is excellent and we notice nothing else at all. Is this something that warrants a Dr.'s visit or could it be normal aging? His eating habits and activity level is all unchanged. Our vet has always said that of all of our Dogs his weight has always been absolutely perfect. It's not a drastic loss but we are just starting to notice. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
That's actually the best news possible. No need for stress or worry!!! Looks like Beau is gonna get a few more treats :B

Yes Beau doesn't miss his treats, i went to the store for them on Sunday and there food took up 3/4 of the cart and i carried ours out in one small sack :h

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
AZPops wrote:
Can't believe, I haven't seen your thread. How the boy doing?

Pops

He's doing great, we were worried for a few days but the vet said his blood work was excellent and his overall health is excellent as well. Not at all what he would expect from a 12 y/o Boston. Hey I saw your pics of the boys new rainwear and boots, if your not careful he will be featured on GQ Pops. :B

dturm
That's actually the best news possible. No need for stress or worry!!! Looks like Beau is gonna get a few more treats :B
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
Can't believe, I haven't seen your thread. How the boy doing?

Pops

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
We took Beau to our vet on Saturday and had some extensive blood work done and everything is Okay. He attributed it to old age. His 2 biggest concerns were Cushings and Diabetes but negative on everything. That was a relief for us.

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You Doug for getting back to me, i will get a vet visit scheduled.

dturm
Weight loss without a reason is a reason for a checkup. The first things to be done are complete physical and blood panel. If all is normal it will at least ease your mind.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV