cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tumbler Ridge on to Alaska

bshin2howe
Explorer
Explorer
On May 14th, My wife and I will be pulling our 24 foot Rockwood Mini Lite with our GMC from Michigan, to Yellowstone, then north through Glacier, Banff and Jasper. We're also planning on stopping at Tumbler Ridge around June 4th for a few days, and then onto Alaska. Anyone have travel tips or campground information near Tumbler Ridge? And, from Tumbler onto Haines Junction? We'll be in Alaska into August, and plan on returning via the Cassier Highway, and any tips for that route are welcome. We've made reservations at Yellowstone, Banff, Glacier Bay and Denali, and we'll fill in as we go along. Any other early reservations recommended?
4 REPLIES 4

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
There are a couple of very small campsites with no services on the Heritage Highway between Grande Prairie, Alberta and Tumbler Ridge, another at the edge of the town, and a larger one on Gwillim Lake between TR and Chetwynd. RV parks at Grande Prairie, Tumbler Ridge, Chetwynd and Dawson Creek. Oh, a large campsite at Moberly Lake north of Chetwynd on the shortcut to Ft St John and another small one at Cameron Lake closer to Hudson's Hope. The one at Dinosaur Lake I wouldn't recommend for RVs because it is sloped. Great boating, though.

The tourist info right in Tumbler Ridge is very helpful. Note, very few small stores, one restaurant, a Subway and gas station with fast food. We like the Flatbed Creek park right in town with dinosaur footprints (be prepared to wade the creek) and the boulder garden hike a few km south - you need the tourist info map to find it.

Kinuseo Falls in Monkman Rovincial park with the nice Stone Corral hike are very nice but the road to them is really rough with potholes. I wouldn't take our MH there.
Monkman Park
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

akrv
Explorer
Explorer
try this http://www.northernbc.worldweb.com/TumblerRidge/Lodging/Campgrounds/ . Make sure your have a place stay between June 29 and July 5. July 1 is Canada day and most camp grounds will be full.
2005 Coachmen Concord 275DS
2004 Malibu Maxx LT

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
There has been lots of discussion regarding the Alaska highway. You may need reservations for the more popular spots like Muncho Lake and Liard Hot Springs. As far as Tumbler Ridge goes, it is out in the middle of nowhere (assuming you want to go nowhere) but there are rv parks nearby. Be aware the provincial campgrounds are basic with no hook ups, Monkman RV park is right in town but you might be wise to book early.

Graydust
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Michigan also. We made the trip in 2014. We also made a nice video of the whole trip with a large book. We are near Grand Rapids. Michigan is not to large to travel and show you them. Maybe we an connect. We went from June 2 until Aug 22. Rich and Mary