cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Camera and Monitor replacement ?'s

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
My 07 Georgetown 350DS has an old Voyager B&W camera and an old Tube style Monitor mounted in the dash. I have a few questions about how to fix and replace this system.

1. My current review monitor is mounted high up on the back of Motorhome just below a plastic cap. No idea where the wire goes so no idea how you could fish a new wire through that plastic cap and down along the fiberglass? Any idea how to do this ?

2. My old tube monitor is going to leave a large hole in the dash. I'd like to mount the new camera in the same hole wher this camera was mounted. Any ideas on how to fill this hole and make it look decent and not like a hack job?

Thanks. Any help or ideas especially about running the new wire would be appreciated. That's going to be the big challenge.
2007 Forest River Georgetown 350 DS SE Bunk Model Class A V10
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ADV Bike
MotoJug Motorcycle Hydration System

15 REPLIES 15

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:
FIRE UP,

In all fairness, his original monitor was a CRT type: CRT=Cathode Ray TUBE. It is a vacuum tube, so he was correct in referring to it as a "tube monitor". The rest of the circuitry, no doubt, was solid state. 🙂

~Rick

Rick,
Thanks a heap for the correction. I had the old tubes in my brain and never even thought about "CRT". My dad and I used to take our "tubes" from our old TV down every once in a while to the local Grocery store where they had a "tube checker" and we'd check all our tubes out. Has that been a while or what????
Thanks again for straightening me out.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Could kill two birds with one stone. Install Garmin 760 or the new 770 with wireless cam, might be a whole lot EZer. Power should already be at old cam connection.

LEN

flapbreaker
Explorer
Explorer
I ran my wires up behind the end cap. I was fortunate in that half way up the end cap I had a center break light. Was able to remove it temporarily so I could fish the wire in stages. As far as the large dash hole goes, I got some 1/8" thick black plastic and fashioned a picture frame. Looks good.

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a generic camera and monitor on Ebay,cut the wires and soldered in new system.

vector
Explorer
Explorer
This reply is from an older post on a different thread, but it applies here as well. I replaced the old "Videoman" b/w CRT monitor and camera with the Costco unit #507735. The old monitor was installed in the dash and the unsupported weight of the back end was causing the plastic panel to crack. I abandoned the old cable as it was over 15 years old, plus the plugs from the two systems did not match. I ran the new cable down from the dash, underneath the coach, and then back up to the cam between the end cap and the back bedroom wall. That was the most difficult part of the installation. The new unit uses a multiplexer and the power, monitor, and cam wires plug into it. I needed to resize the 6" x 6" hole in the dash as the new monitor was as wide but not as tall as the old one. So far, so good. I get a clear color picture and a better field of vision.

2001 GB Pursuit 3512DS
Ford F53 V-10
Banks Powerpack
Trans Command
2002 Honda CR-V AWD

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
About 90 percent of the time, the ends of an old setup WILL NOT apply to a complete setup. Therefore, a new cable with new ends will be needed. Not always but, most of the time.

While the ends are likely not the same this does not mean your existing cable will not work or that you need a new cable. Most of these cables can be adapted to the new camera/monitor setup with minimal effort.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You can NEVER route any cable inside the roof or Roll wrap area. There is no unblocked channel. If you decide to replace the cable, you run it along the chassis frame and then up thru the back cap. either on the corners or if you have a rear window, pull the window to see if you have a cavity to run the cables up. Usually, most motorhomes can have the cable run up either side corner of the rear cap. Doug

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
FIRE UP,

In all fairness, his original monitor was a CRT type: CRT=Cathode Ray TUBE. It is a vacuum tube, so he was correct in referring to it as a "tube monitor". The rest of the circuitry, no doubt, was solid state. 🙂

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
lacofdfireman wrote:
My 07 Georgetown 350DS has an old Voyager B&W camera and an old Tube style Monitor mounted in the dash. I have a few questions about how to fix and replace this system.

1. My current review monitor is mounted high up on the back of Motorhome just below a plastic cap. No idea where the wire goes so no idea how you could fish a new wire through that plastic cap and down along the fiberglass? Any idea how to do this ?

2. My old tube monitor is going to leave a large hole in the dash. I'd like to mount the new camera in the same hole wher this camera was mounted. Any ideas on how to fill this hole and make it look decent and not like a hack job?

Thanks. Any help or ideas especially about running the new wire would be appreciated. That's going to be the big challenge.

"TUBE" monitor??? What a crackup Sir. I highly doubt that your dash monitor has TUBES in it. I think they went out about 50 years ago or so. As for new setups, there's plenty of them on ebay, Amazon and, RVcams.com. About 90% of the time, the ends of an old setup WILL NOT apply to a complete setup. Therefore, a new cable with new ends will be needed. Not always but, most of the time.
As for fishing the new cable up to the present place of your old camera, well, that remains to be seen if it can or cannot be done.

Now, pertaining to your dash and it's present monitor, depending on the actual size, there seems to be plenty of replacements out there are actually very close to the original size. If not, you can fabricate of a sort of "Piture frame" type situation that will allow for a smaller monitor and yet fill in the border area with some creativity. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

MrWizard
lacofdfireman wrote:

No offense but you got that backwards
The Monitor is the tube display in the dash
The camera is the device in the back

As long as everything is working, you get a camera signal up front
Then the cabling is good

You most likely do Not need to pull new cable
You just need to put adapters on the cable to change the wiring connections for the new system

Install new camera in back
Remove dash display, mount new flat digital display over the hole, cover hole with new display monitor
Lots of people have done this
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The above advice about contacting RVCams.com is the best advice. Let them know what you have and they can supply the replacement equipment and how to modify the wiring if that's necessary.
They were able to update my system which had wiring from 1988 to a new modern 7" color/audio system. Could not be happier.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
I did the camera and monitor replacement,and documented it with pictures on the IRV2 forum.
Go to this link

files section of irv2

and select the file titled

Rear View Cameras (2) & Monitor Install

You can probably use the original cable. You can get some good components with careful shopping from ebay and save a lot of money.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Yup. I replaced the camera and the monitor in the Sahara and used the old wire. The customer service at RVCams is excellent. Just tell them what you want to do and they'll send you what you need.You'll just need to make sure that you have a 12VDC power source close to the camera.

The old camera in the Sahara fed the front TV for a monitor. Every time you turned the rear view camera on, the inverter came on as well to power the TV. I was real happy to dump that system.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
In general, there should be no need to run a new wire. You presumably already have power and a coax video cable from the camera location to the display unit, and all that would be needed is to figure out adapters for the connectors. That's assuming, of course, that the existing wiring is not somehow damaged and nonfunctional.