cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How expensive to replace the slide out awning fabric?

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
My 07 Georgetown needs to have both the slide awning fabrics replaced. Both Slide awnings are around 14ft and sun rotted and falling apart. Is this a dealer job or something a DIYer can do? Where do you order the fabric and what's a ballpark price of what is going to cost to replace it. Thanks.
2007 Forest River Georgetown 350 DS SE Bunk Model Class A V10
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ADV Bike
MotoJug Motorcycle Hydration System

13 REPLIES 13

steveownby
Explorer
Explorer
smlranger wrote:
Absolutely best replacement topper material is available from Stone Vos in Brooksville, FL.

Many folks also recommend Tough Tops for slide topper replacement.

Regardless of where you get the material, it is not hard to R & R. As noted, you need a couple of good ladders and a second person if the toppers are long. There are a number of You Tube videos showing the process.

X2 on Stone Vos. Chris is the owner and is a fellow coach owner. He is really a perfectionist and only uses the best fabric and thread. Call him with your topper measurements & he will give you a price.
Steve Ownby
2003 Monaco Signature

Full-time since 2007

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased new slide toppers from "Tough Top Awnings" and used the YouTube videos from RV Geeks. The slide toppers were heavier than the original ones and they work very well.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Youtube it. It's easy.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I have replaced my electric awning fabric once, but if I understand correctly the slide toppers are under spring tension which is a whole different ballgame. I am told it's a DIY project but I have also heard the tension can be a little dangerous.
2013 ACE 29.2

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Absolutely something you can do. ๐Ÿ™‚ I've never taken any of my coaches in. All depends on health/abilities to do stuff like this. If you are handy, you can probably do it.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I would think any marine canvas shop could make you up new covers if you take the old one in.

timjet, I would take it off and have a canvas shop stitch it over the tear.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
Along the same lines, I've got under contract a used coach with one topper that has a slight tear about 1" long on the seam. Can I patch this so the tear doesn't get worse?
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
imgoin4it wrote:
A friend removed the fabric from his toppers, took them to a shop that had sunbrella fabric and had them duplicated. He then installed the new ones. Said he saved a lot of money over typical toppers

That is exactly what I did. A local shop ordered the fabric and sewed it to match the fabric I took out. Total cost for my long topper fabric was $110. This took about 2 hours for me to change out since I replaced the springs at the same time.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
A friend removed the fabric from his toppers, took them to a shop that had sunbrella fabric and had them duplicated. He then installed the new ones. Said he saved a lot of money over typical toppers
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
I have changed several slide toppers by myself. It's about an hour long job as long as you understand how the mechanism works and the precautions necessary. My wife goes to the fabric store and buys some canvas fabric, sews it up and on it goes. About $20.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely best replacement topper material is available from Stone Vos in Brooksville, FL.

Many folks also recommend Tough Tops for slide topper replacement.

Regardless of where you get the material, it is not hard to R & R. As noted, you need a couple of good ladders and a second person if the toppers are long. There are a number of You Tube videos showing the process.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I would estimate 500 each, but you can do better by pulling one slide right out and reading the label on the very first wrap. Take a close up picture with your camera of the label, and then look up the replacement.

I did a 6 foot unit by myself. You really need two people on two tall ladders or alongside a wall or platform (best option) as once you start to put it in, you can't stop. Study the U-tube videos to see how to do it.

Lot's of spring pressure there, but OK if done properly. I also replaced a garage door spring in my house.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Bob419
Explorer
Explorer
www.shadepro.net/category/Replacement_Slideout_Canopies.html

Try these guys. I replaced one of my longest ones on our Phaeton with the acrylic fabric. Nice material, cost less than $250 and wasn't hard to do, especially if the old one is still in place. Go on their web site. You can call them as well to get sample material.
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH
2015 Ford Cmax-sometimes toad
2008 H-D Ultra Classic Anniversary Edition
Bella the Golden Doodle/Dash ornament
Izzy the Cat
1 Wonderful Wife, Helen
3 kids, Kathy, Christine and Brian
8 grandchildren, two great grandchildren