Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling electric costs monthly

Golden_Gopher
Explorer
Explorer
Guys:

What have you found to be the best system to control electric costs where they are charged in addition to your monthly rental?

What appliances generate the most energy costs, which ones should be used sparingly, and which appliances should be used on propane rather than electric?

Reason for asking.:

December electric = $42

January electric = $152

Same campground, same weather pattern.

I feel meter is incorrect. How can I prove it?

Thanks in advance,

John
2004 Newmar Dutch Star 4010-SPTN MM
Cummins 370 ISL, 1200 '# Torque
Blue Ox Adventa II, Apollo Brake
2003 Honda CR-V Toad
22 REPLIES 22

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
Rather than looking at your camper as the culprit you need to read the meter NOW, immediately.

Take that number to the office and ask them for the previous readings, all of them since you arrived.

Then see if those numbers track.

Keep in mind that someone may have plugged in to an outlet that your meter senses. Check to see if someone is plugged in where they should not be.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, that's the one I've seen.

CardinalRule
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
In order to determine if it's cheaper to run on electric vs propane you need to know two things that are specific to YOUR location -

1. Propane cost/gallon. Check several places, including hardware stores, and a local propane distributor.

2. Electricity KWH cost. Ask the CG/park what rate they charge.

I've seen a formula which allows you to plug in the info you've found and it will then tell you whether it's cheaper to use propane or electricity. Search for it, or maybe someone can post it.

Biggest electricity hogs - air conditioners, electric heaters, electric hot water heaters, clothes dryers. Microwave ovens use a lot but they only run for short periods of time.

I've 'heard' that TVs consume lots of electricity.

Your furnace will use lots of propane, but usage will depend on outside temps so it may not be much if in Florida, for example.

The hot water heater also uses lots of propane (as compared to a stove top burner). Maybe don't leave it on all the time. Same idea if it is running on electric.

If electricity is expensive it may be worthwhile for you change out your interior lighting to LED bulbs. They consume much less electricity, are WAY cooler (saves on AC), and last forever.

Here it is: Propane Vs Electric
Dave

I RV, I Golf - Therefore I Am.

2016 Acura MDX (No More Truck 😞 )
Perminent on site 05 Cardinal 36TS

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving Las Cruces, NM tomorrow after spending a month at Sunny Acres RV Park. Our electric bill was $48 for the month at 14 cents /KWH. It has been cooler than expected much of that time, so no days of AC were used. We also used $62 worth of propane because the furnace had to run every night and a few days.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Average the two and it sounds correct. All you can do it take daily readings so you have proof going forward.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
Our average was around $110 to $120 when we were in FL. I look at it this way, technology has given us furnaces to keep warm and air conditioners to stay cool so in a given situation we use them and stay comfortable. You can drive yourself nuts trying to compensate for utility costs. I had a friend that only turned his hot water heater on though ONE cycle per day (that for dishes and showers for two people), rarely turned the heat up on a cold night (extra blankets) or on a hot day open all the windows. Sorry but that's not my idea of enjoying myself but to each there own. I doubt it be the electric meter but it doesn't hurt to jot down some numbers and keep track of things for a month. Good luck and hope it works out.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
1. Are purchasing electricity directly from the utility, or are you purchasing it from the RV park?
2. IF from the RV park, it is, in all probability, manually read.
3. Your best defense is to read your meter daily, and compare your readings with what you receive on your bill.
4. Daily readings will help you determine what costs the most to operate considering your life style.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Golden Gopher, if you are in a diesel pusher, make sure the engine block heater didn't get turned on by mistake. Had instances of that in our park, and it will burn the bearings out of the meter!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Golden Gopher wrote:
Reason for asking.:

December electric = $42

January electric = $152

Same campground, same weather pattern.

I feel meter is incorrect. How can I prove it?
If you really want us to figure out your bill you will need to post an image or every single detail.
Doubt the meter itself is the issue.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
The 'back of the envelop' is use 20x the cost of kwh < gallon of propane, go with electric. That figure includes the inefficiency of propane, but not the hassle of getting propane, which for a motorhome can be a real hassle in some areas.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our RV park puts last months reading and the current month reading and shows the amount used. The meter is read late the last day of the month or early on the 1st and then the billing are prepared. At 14 cents/kwh we figured out that it's about even as far as cost for electric vs propane. We have had bills around $70 - $80 per month and have our refrigerator and water heater on electric. The air conditioning or the electric heater is what makes our bill higher.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
In order to determine if it's cheaper to run on electric vs propane you need to know two things that are specific to YOUR location -

1. Propane cost/gallon. Check several places, including hardware stores, and a local propane distributor.

2. Electricity KWH cost. Ask the CG/park what rate they charge.

I've seen a formula which allows you to plug in the info you've found and it will then tell you whether it's cheaper to use propane or electricity. Search for it, or maybe someone can post it.

Biggest electricity hogs - air conditioners, electric heaters, electric hot water heaters, clothes dryers. Microwave ovens use a lot but they only run for short periods of time.

I've 'heard' that TVs consume lots of electricity.

Your furnace will use lots of propane, but usage will depend on outside temps so it may not be much if in Florida, for example.

The hot water heater also uses lots of propane (as compared to a stove top burner). Maybe don't leave it on all the time. Same idea if it is running on electric.

If electricity is expensive it may be worthwhile for you change out your interior lighting to LED bulbs. They consume much less electricity, are WAY cooler (saves on AC), and last forever.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We sunbird and had that happen last summer. The campground closes the beginning of October. We had used electric in September for about 10 days (we left end of August and came back towards the end of September) and got a $200 electric bill, which is about $100 more than any bill we had gotten before.

We stayed with family for about 10 days after the campground closed, so we checked the meter and it matched what was on the bill. I wasn't really sure what the happened, but by the time I got around to complaining about it to the Electric Company we received another bill with a negative balance, about $150 or so.

The electric company messed up somewhere, but they wouldn't tell me where. They sent me a refund for the negative balance. I would call the electric company for an explanation of charges.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
where are you? We pay approx. $100-110/month in SW FL. We have an all electric coach with 4 AC units running, electric hot water.

The AC units are responsible for most of the bill because they run the longest. The induction cooktop draws a fair amount but only for a short time. Our Aquahot heater also draws a fair amount. I could switch to diesel instead of running the electric element but it's pay no or later when I fill the tank. Our electric fridge is very efficient so it rarely cycles on.

TV's radio's etc don't use much at all.

If you're up north it's electric heat. If you're down south I suspect an error with the meter.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S