New Disc Brakes

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
16 REPLIES 16

ronald1russell
Explorer
Explorer
There are many trailers with shock absorbers that the caliper must be mounted this way. The Shock/Mounts interfere with the caliper positioning.
Titan was bought by Dexter Axle in Nov. 2015 and according to Dexter engineers the clocking of the caliper will have no performance difference or adverse effects.

All of Titan Documentation is in process of being revised and this will be part of the new documentation.

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick post FYI, Slip over to REDWWOD OWNER GROUP, lots of info on there and they are going to 8k axles and 17.5 tires, upgraded, RW weight is about 16,600#.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
racer4 wrote:
I am getting those installed this spring. Nice! I am looking forward to better braking!

I looked at the Titan Installation manual regarding caliper installation. Here is a copy and paste from page 4, number 3: "When installing caliper bracket, recommended orientation should be 10 oโ€™clock or 2 oโ€™clock position. All calipers should be on same side of axle, such as, all installed on front side, or rear side". The underlining was added by me.

I am wondering why it matters?

Anyway, I learned something new today.

It doesn't say on the same side of all axles, just that each axle should be the same on each side...left and right...that is the way I read it.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting those installed this spring. Nice! I am looking forward to better braking!

I looked at the Titan Installation manual regarding caliper installation. Here is a copy and paste from page 4, number 3: "When installing caliper bracket, recommended orientation should be 10 oโ€™clock or 2 oโ€™clock position. All calipers should be on same side of axle, such as, all installed on front side, or rear side". The underlining was added by me.

I am wondering why it matters?

Anyway, I learned something new today.
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

jsum
Explorer
Explorer
elcheapo wrote:
Photos I have seen of Disc Brake Conversions have the calipers Mounted the same way front and rear. Per Titan Instructions Mount the caliper brackets to spindle side (outside) of the brake flange. The orientation of the bracket should be in the 10:00 or 2:00 position. The calipers can be positioned either way, but the orientation should be the same for allโ€”either on the front side, or rear side of the axle spindle. Maybe something to check on.

That is exactly what I thought when I saw the pic......

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
GoPackGo wrote:

On the short list for upgrades!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
I also had disc brakes installed when we purchased our 5th wheel last year. We used the Titan system from Bill at stopyourtrailer.com.

The one modification that we did was to go with an oil bath lube system similar to those on commercial trucks and boat trailers.

We used the Kodiak lube system.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

jtbuilds
Explorer
Explorer
Nice install.

I've swapped 4 trailers over to disc. No.5 is coming up.

From both a maintenance and performance stand point you'll be happy with your choice.

Every so often tap the calipers back and forth so it keeps moving side to side. This helps the pads wear evenly.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy the new brakes. I wish I had gone for the sporty RED calipers when I put mine on!
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
elcheapo wrote:
The calipers can be positioned either way, but the orientation should be the same for allโ€”either on the front side, or rear side of the axle spindle. Maybe something to check on.

It doesn't say for all, it says "All calipers should be on same side of axle"

It's for the axle, it should be the same on that particular axle. That quote is from the manual and the way I interpret it.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
When I did conversions I always mounted the calipers on the back side, that way as the brake was applied it tended to lift the trailer reducing the stress on bearings and spindle in forward travel. Putting them on the front side pulls down on the bearings and spindles and if loaded to near rating can overload the components. Don't ask how I know. I hate doing warranty work for a customer when it comes out of MY pocket.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

elcheapo
Explorer
Explorer
Photos I have seen of Disc Brake Conversions have the calipers Mounted the same way front and rear. Per Titan Instructions Mount the caliper brackets to spindle side (outside) of the brake flange. The orientation of the bracket should be in the 10:00 or 2:00 position. The calipers can be positioned either way, but the orientation should be the same for allโ€”either on the front side, or rear side of the axle spindle. Maybe something to check on.
2016 Jayco Redhawk 29XK

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in my winter quarters in Florida so I will not be going anywhere for a few months. But we did hook it up and drive around, mostly to make sure everything worked correctly (apparently Fords can be a little tricky because of the way their trailer braking software is programmed).

BUT - I did a few easy stops and then a few more harder stops and the braking got better with each stop - was much better by the last one. I was using the manual control to stop and even just going 25 mph it would stop RIGHT NOW. I can tell that it's already way better then the drums.

The installer told me it's possible to lock them up on dry pavement and I may want to back off the gain in the rain.

Can't wait to find a mountain road to go down.

I love the fresh look of newly installed disc brakes.. .. have you pulled with them yet ? any reports on how happy you are ?

Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet