cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

is it possible to add a second fuel tank

westtexus
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if it is possible to add another fuel tank to my 1991 Fleetwood Flair, on Ford E350 chassis? It now has a tank behind rear axle, about 36 gallon I believe. Has anyone done such a thing?
Westtexus 1991 Fleetwood Flair
19 REPLIES 19

True_temper
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering about a 55 gal. Barrel they are easy to find around here.

westtexus
Explorer
Explorer
Update on aux fuel tank:
I bought a new 42 gallon tank that fits 92-97 suburban. Went to salvage yard and got wiring, straps to hold up tank, filler hose and cap, fuel lines, and bought hoses to extend fuel lines. I have installed tank, installed and wired gauge into dash, new fuel pump in tank, wired. now just need to connect hoses , and finish filler tube. Fill tube is a bit of a problem, but bought 2 inch exhaust pipe, and will fabricate part of filler tube from that.

Before I did all that I replaced some sensors on engine, EGR valve, O2 sensor, plugs and wires. MPG went from 5.92 to 10.35 at 60 mph,on cruise, no toad. if that keeps up I could get by with one tank!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"A good metal fabricator can to any thing."

Yes, Femail, they can. But is it safe? In a collision? On a bumpy dirt road? Oh! The fabricator isn't sure...as in training? Experience?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
I think the E350 got the 55 gallon tank in '97 when the V10 came out. They still have a 55 gallon tank today.

I put one in my 1977 Class C. Frame rails were the same width, but a little different. I used the hangers and straps from the new tank. Had to make some spacers as I recall to get it hung correctly. Mine was carbureted, I had an external pump, so just a pickup line in the tank. You might be able to just use the intank EFI style pump found in the big tank?
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

westtexus
Explorer
Explorer
tderonne, if I can find a 55 that will work for me it would be great. Do you know what year model you got it from? My rv has twin I beam suspension on front, and as I understand it F53 has a straight axle.

I should also point out, it has a low pressure fuel pump in tank, and a high pressure fuel pump on the frame, near the engine area. So any tank I put on will need to work with my type tank pump/assy, or with a low pressure in tank unit of differnt year model.

I really appriciate all of the replies and suggestions

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
westtexus wrote:
Really, I should fill with fuel and water, load like for a trip, and weigh it. Compare to Max weight rating, go from there.

Good plan. Make sure you have chairs, grills, clothes, food, beverages, coolers, ice, everybody riding in it including pets, etc., too when you weigh. And don't forget to add in for the holding tank(s) in case you don't have an opportunity to empty them before leaving the campground.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
Do you really have an E350 chassis? Do you mean F53? E350 would be a stripped van chassis, which has only been used under Class A motorhomes a few times that I know of. Your tank size does seem to agree with it being an E350, I think all F53s have either 75 or 80 gallon tanks. I need ot google your motorhome, maybe I can find some specs and learn something.

I swapped a later 55 gallon E350 tank into my older E350 that had a rusty metal box that had about 30 gallons working capacity. It was a GREAT upgrade. 200 miles between fillups really stunk.

Edit:
Hmmm...
Google seems to agree, E350:
91 Flair chassis

As I recall the 55 gallon tank is junk longer than the 35. The 55 looks like this:

(Not a Ford tank, but similar.)

Some action shots of a tank removal
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

westtexus
Explorer
Explorer
Really, I should fill with fuel and water, load like for a trip, and weigh it. Compare to Max weight rating, go from there.

MrWizard
It's all about space
If there is room for a larger replacement, or an empty spot for another add-on
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I feel sure it can be done...with enough money and ingenuity, you can do almost anything! My major concern would be the additional weight on a chassis most likely not designed for it. Consider the weight of the additional or bigger tank PLUS the additional weight of about 6lbs/gal of gasoline. It can add up fast. Just something else to consider before you get too far in your planning.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Absolutely it can be done. My Toyota has a 2nd take with a pump to fill up the 1st tank. Some people just opt for 1 bigger tank. IT's 12V and controlled with a switch. When fuel shows low, flip the switch on the road and 30 mins later it shows full again. ๐Ÿ™‚
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
When doing your calculations figure out if you have enough CCC to handle the extra weight. one 36 gal tank sounded like a awfully small capacity. Have you gotten under it and looked you might have a second tank someplace.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

westtexus
Explorer
Explorer
Would the 55 gallon fit behind the rear axle? I wonder if it's deeper or longer, would same fuel pump/sending unit be used?

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
A 55 gallon tank from a newer e series would probably for fine. As would the 35 gallon midship tank.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST