cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Preferred Route

Ed_Rana2
Explorer
Explorer
First time traveler to Alaska, should be entering Alaska from Whitehorse about mid June. Any thoughts on the preferred circle route - directly to Fairbanks then down to Anchorage, Kenai or the reverse of that.
Ed & Sally
2005 Jayco Jayflight 28'
2015 Chevy 2500
14 REPLIES 14

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
dalton4 wrote:
For scenery I suggest going to Fairbanks first. I do not place Fairbanks' scenery at the level you will see in the southern and western parts of your planned circle. Believe you will enjoy Fairbanks more by seeing it first and let the scenery build from there.

Excellent advise. Also, Fairbanks is prone to wildfires and smoke - more so later in summer but can happen anytime.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

dalton4
Explorer
Explorer
For scenery I suggest going to Fairbanks first. I do not place Fairbanks' scenery at the level you will see in the southern and western parts of your planned circle. Believe you will enjoy Fairbanks more by seeing it first and let the scenery build from there.
2006, Winnebago 24
2010 Subaru Forester,Demco equipped with BB.

Ed_Rana2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank all for your input. Helpful.
Ed & Sally
2005 Jayco Jayflight 28'
2015 Chevy 2500

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only time it matters is if you plan on salmon fishing, you need to be there when they are running, and every year is different.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
At Tok, we check the weather. If the coastal area around Valdez has a good forecast, we head there first, then continue clockwise on the trip. If it's raining on the coast, then we head to Fairbanks first and hope the weather improves by the time we get to the coast.

We experienced torrential rain at Valdez during one trip. Don't want to have that happen again. It's a beautiful drive when the weather is clear.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
It al depends on YOUR wants! Our first trip we headed all the way down to Homer Spit, just amazing. This trip we will stay north and us e the Cassiar for our return trip. Do your planning!
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
While stopped in Tok, get a 7 day forecast on weather for Valdez, Anchorage, Kenai Peninsula regions....if it is forecasted real rainy and crappy throughout the week, head to Fairbanks first.

If weather is subpar or decent for Valdez, Anchorage, Kenai Peninsula, head to those areas first then head north afterwards as the southern portion and coast of Alaska is much more scenic and majestic than the interior areas.

Denali can be clear enough, very clear or cloudy or invisible at any given day so I wouldn't plan around that.

However what I did plan on was getting a head start on Memorial Day weekend by leaving Fairbanks at night in the camper (still daylight) upon my way to Anchorage knowing it was mostly clear forecast heading south, timed it perfectly when the sun returned over the horizon a few hours later getting 500am pictures of the mountain from the north side that became truly clear to my surprise...

May 2016 - Mile 206 Parks Hwy - Interior Alaska :

May 2016 - Denali -Mt McKinley- north side close up :
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
PA12DRVR wrote:
FWIW, there are a couple of different views of McKinley available on the drive into Talkeetna that aren't available on the Parks itself. 'Course, it all does depend on clouds.
Agree that the views from the south, especially from Talkeetna on a clear, sunny morning, can be the best you will get. The mountain generates its own weather, so even sunny afternoons can be a little cloudy around the peak. I would suggest going to Anchorage first (but try not to miss Valdez), then get to the Talkeetna overlook (just south of town on W. side of highway) at mid-morning.

FYI, I have seen the mountain from both Anchorage and Fairbanks on clear days, but it's a long way off. And there are also some great views from the Denali "Highway" (a misnomer if ever there was one!), but it's not a road for most Class A motorhomes or 5th wheel trailers.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Ed Rana2 wrote:
First time traveler to Alaska, should be entering Alaska from Whitehorse about mid June. Any thoughts on the preferred circle route - directly to Fairbanks then down to Anchorage, Kenai or the reverse of that.

My wife and I were up there in June of 2015,we planned our route based on what we wanted to see and do. You don't list what kind of rig you have, that would be helpful.

The way the Alaskan highway system is laid out in such a way that you will be back tracking over the same highway. If you use Google Earth in planning your route.

From Whitehorse,Canada if you go to Dawson City and enter Alaska you'll end up just outside Tok,Alaska. If you leave Whitehorse,Canada and go through Haines Junction enter Alaska that way you'll still have to go through Tok,Alaska.

In the Truck Camper forum there are many trip reports on Alaska and Canada travel by us TCers., many have photos and videos, please read those they're full of very useful information.

Pm me if I can be of further help.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
"As far as which way to turn, if you're going to do all of them anyways, it really doesn't matter. Depending on clouds, you'll get a few better views of McKinley going north on the Parks Hwy rather than south."

^^^^^ This. Direction on the loop doesn't matter per se, but Mighty Mac seems to be more often visible going North vs. South. Conversely, other parts of the range are, at least from the road, more striking when heading South from Squarebanks. FWIW, there are a couple of different views of McKinley available on the drive into Talkeetna that aren't available on the Parks itself. 'Course, it all does depend on clouds.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoy the Kenai late July through August - not as crowded. Same for Denali Nat'l Park - stay IN the park itself for the best experience.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever you do, try to take on enough fuel so you can by-pass the fuel station called the HUB in Glennallen - they had the most expensive fuel on the whole trip last year. Or, just take on enough fuel to get you closer to Anchorage or Fbks.

As far as which way to turn, if you're going to do all of them anyways, it really doesn't matter. Depending on clouds, you'll get a few better views of McKinley going north on the Parks Hwy rather than south.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
We have made the trip 3 times. We look at the schedule of events and festivals in the Fairbanks area and the Anchorage area, then plan travels accordingly.

Planning a return trip in 2018.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
We took the turn to Fairbanks first, but I don't know if it makes much of a difference either way. Have a great trip.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS