cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What grill...

Bjcombs1989
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm looking to get a grill. Need some suggestions.

- I need something large enough for up to 20 people, but also not too much hassle when it's just the wife and I.
- I'm not sure if I like the "mount on the rear" option, seems to be mixed reviews. I have a receiver on the back bumper.
- Not picky about charcoal or gas, but leaning towards charcoal/fire.

What grill do you love? Send your links.

*Please move or delete if not allowed.
1994 Wilderness Fifth Wheel Series M-30-5X
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD (Duramax & Allison)
19 REPLIES 19

Bjcombs1989
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again to all that pitched in their two cents.

I've decided to go with the Char Broil and just bring along the large smoker/grill from home when I have family joining us.. a cargo rack on the back will suffice for those annual trips.

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Bjcombs1989 wrote:
First of all, thank you to everyone for your suggestions. Obviously the 20 vs 2 was a little more of a gap then I was imagining.

eichacsj wrote:

Medium - could use either way on this one.

I'm really leaning towards this one. It's only 71 lbs new and could mounted or shortened to fit in the bed of the truck easily with the 5er. I can't imagine grilling on something much smaller (lack of experience I guess... I like my space). ...

You will like Char Broil if you haven't had one.

I do use that small one for mostly wife and I. I have a large (BBQ Galore Grand Turbo) propane the size equivalent to the large Char Broil I linked, I have found it takes just as long to get it up to heat as the charcoal.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Go big or go home. 😄 This Hasty-Bake will smoke a ham and a turkey at the same time! Hasty-Bake Legacy. Hey, you did mention that rear receiver, lol. 😉 They also have smaller models, including one that weighs 48 lbs.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
Bjcombs1989 wrote:
So I'm looking to get a grill. Need some suggestions.

- I need something large enough for up to 20 people, but also not too much hassle when it's just the wife and I.
- I'm not sure if I like the "mount on the rear" option, seems to be mixed reviews. I have a receiver on the back bumper.
- Not picky about charcoal or gas, but leaning towards charcoal/fire.

What grill do you love? Send your links.

*Please move or delete if not allowed.

What do you plan to cook? Burgers, hot dogs, chicken, steaks? Most things anyone would want to cook for 20 people, can be done on a smaller grill if planned ahead carefully. You'll need a grill with at least twos sides that can be temperature controlled, a hot side, a warm side and some advanced cooking with some stacking will be involved.

I personally own a Coleman road trip, a good grill but my next purchase will probably be a Weber Q, because of the Q's smaller size and easy of setup and storage.

If I would needed to grills for 20, I would probably buy a cheap $20 charcoal grill and a good Weber Q, and after done cooking donate the cheap charcoal grill to campground.

Good luck and precook what you can!

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Bjcombs1989 wrote:
GaryKH wrote:
Simply , just get a big enough grill and put it over your fire. That way you can grill for 20 and need very little storage space.

Thanks for the idea, I might do that for the big groups

And when you are grill-less ("Yesssssss it can happen" said the woman who once left the grill at home but took the rest of the Go Anywhere:S) you can always try this method:

Bjcombs1989
Explorer
Explorer
GaryKH wrote:
Simply , just get a big enough grill and put it over your fire. That way you can grill for 20 and need very little storage space.

Thanks for the idea, I might do that for the big groups

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
GaryKH wrote:

Brilliant idea! Bet a fold-able version would store easier:c:.

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We are full timers and carry a Green Mountain Grill Davey Crockett pellet smoker. Makes great smoked meats and even gets to a high enough temp to make an excellently steak.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Bjcombs1989
Explorer
Explorer
First of all, thank you to everyone for your suggestions. Obviously the 20 vs 2 was a little more of a gap then I was imagining.

eichacsj wrote:

I'm really leaning towards this one. It's only 71 lbs new and could mounted or shortened to fit in the bed of the truck easily with the 5er. I can't imagine grilling on something much smaller (lack of experience I guess... I like my space).

RoyB and many others wrote:
Most everyone you talk to always likes the WEBSTER model for just your camping family. I went with the COLEMAN ROADTRIP

I might also look into something like this for when it's just the wife and I... propane would be easier for a quick meal and cleanup is probably easier on the smaller grill.

Thank you for the suggestions folks!

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
I like char broil

The advantages to these choices it you do the assembly and do not have to put the legs on them you could choose for example to mount the big one on a hitch mount. I have the large and portable ones.

Big Brother - the one for the 20 people.
Portable - I like this one for 2 - 4.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most everyone you talk to always likes the WEBSTER model for just your camping family. I went with the COLEMAN ROADTRIP which comes with a nice wheeled tote and has several different cooking tops. It also has the water reservoir that collect all of the grease coming from the cook tops and makes for very easy cleanup...

Easy setup that uses the 1LB propane canister

Google Image

Cooking for 20 people will take a pretty big cooking setup perhaps a 50-gallon barrel cut in half and welded up frame...

Something like this perhaps...

Google Image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Bjcombs1989 wrote:
I need something large enough for up to 20 people, but also not too much hassle when it's just the wife and I.

I don't think you will find a grill that is big enough for 20 people and then magically shrinks to a size appropriate for two people. You need two grills.

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camp chef three burner big gas cooktop with a grill that sits on top of two of the burners. All of it fits in my front pass through. I have been using it for five years now and like it, it also has a cast iron skillet you can buy if needed.