cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rubber roof replaced

la_voy_scott
Explorer
Explorer
The rubber roof on my 36 foot class A was replaced, but has several wrinkles and air gaps under the roof. Is this common or should I have the roof redone?
10 REPLIES 10

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
John&Joey wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
..... The point of my post was that RV techs are NOT roofers. As a commercial contractor we installed hundreds of thousands of square feet of EPDM roofing and wrinkles and adhesion bubbles are not acceptible and that most RV techs do not have the skill to do the job right. Commercial roofs are much more challanging than some 8x40 roof on an RV. I have seen brand new EPDM roofs coming out of the RV factory that look exactly like what you would expect when you have an inexperienced installer working to a time schedule. The factory doesn't care and will say that it is covered by their minuscule 2-5 year warranty. Commercial roofs are usually warranted for 20 years with ZERO maintenance requirements. Nobody gets on the roof of a commercial building and washes it and reseals ALL of the penetrations every six months. Commercial buildings are also exposed to the elements 24/7 and able to withstand 130 MPH winds, which I doubt if most RV's will ever experience.
An EPDM roof is a fine product, IF it is installed correctly and not by someone that thinks they can handle it. As they say...a Jack of all trades and a master of none. The fact that this roof was turned over to the customer in this condition says everything about the quality done by that particular RV shop.

When you work with a real roofer who enjoys rubber roofs is when you learn everything you said above is 100% true. On the other hand it is also equally true that just about anyone can lay down a rubber roof. Bubbles and wrinkles may happen if they don't have the gift though.

1. There are MILLIONS of RV EPDM roofs out there installed by the factory
2. There are MILLIONS of RV EPDM roofs that have been replaced by RV Technicians
3. Just because the OP had his done by an inept or not skilled shop does not indicate that RV Service shops are incompetent.
4. Adhesive(amount and thickness) is critical for a GOOD non wrinkled job. You install the EPDM immediately after installing the adhesive. You do 1/2 the RV first and then the other half. You can then use a wide broom to sweep any possible wrinkles off. IF you attempt to walk on a freshly laid EPDM roof, you will get wrinkles and bubbles. The PVC type roofs are the best and easiest as they are almost impossible to make wrinkles and bubbles on. Doug

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
..... The point of my post was that RV techs are NOT roofers. As a commercial contractor we installed hundreds of thousands of square feet of EPDM roofing and wrinkles and adhesion bubbles are not acceptible and that most RV techs do not have the skill to do the job right. Commercial roofs are much more challanging than some 8x40 roof on an RV. I have seen brand new EPDM roofs coming out of the RV factory that look exactly like what you would expect when you have an inexperienced installer working to a time schedule. The factory doesn't care and will say that it is covered by their minuscule 2-5 year warranty. Commercial roofs are usually warranted for 20 years with ZERO maintenance requirements. Nobody gets on the roof of a commercial building and washes it and reseals ALL of the penetrations every six months. Commercial buildings are also exposed to the elements 24/7 and able to withstand 130 MPH winds, which I doubt if most RV's will ever experience.
An EPDM roof is a fine product, IF it is installed correctly and not by someone that thinks they can handle it. As they say...a Jack of all trades and a master of none. The fact that this roof was turned over to the customer in this condition says everything about the quality done by that particular RV shop.

When you work with a real roofer who enjoys rubber roofs is when you learn everything you said above is 100% true. On the other hand it is also equally true that just about anyone can lay down a rubber roof. Bubbles and wrinkles may happen if they don't have the gift though.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Wrinkles and bubbles should not exist. I would suspect that the roof was installed by RV mechanics and not by roofers that deal with rubber roofs all of the time. Any wrinkles can hinder drainage and can cause weak areas in the rubber with the flexing. Air gaps mean that the rubber was not embedded in to the adhesive properly and just points to the lack of knowledge with the product. A rubber roof is not rocket science but there is a right way to install it so that you do not have bubbles or wrinkles.

In 37 years as a RV technician, I have NEVER seen an RV roof replaced by a "Roofer" Or non RV roofing company. Wrinkles and some bubbles may be normal. The OP needs to post some pics of the problem. When you use the Dicor sealant, THAT will cause temporary bubbling and possibly wrinkles that shrink in a few weeks. If the installer did NOT use adequate Adhesive that will cause problems. If this is the case(not a big problem), I would NOT want it redone, I would ask for a partial Cash refund of what I paid. Also, if the unit was NOT redecked with wood, that will cause the problem also and if that is the case, I would demand the complete roof be redone and redecked. YOU NEVER REPLACE A EPDM ROOF WITHOUT NEW DECKING. Doug

All true. The point of my post was that RV techs are NOT roofers. As a commercial contractor we installed hundreds of thousands of square feet of EPDM roofing and wrinkles and adhesion bubbles are not acceptible and that most RV techs do not have the skill to do the job right. Commercial roofs are much more challanging than some 8x40 roof on an RV. I have seen brand new EPDM roofs coming out of the RV factory that look exactly like what you would expect when you have an inexperienced installer working to a time schedule. The factory doesn't care and will say that it is covered by their minuscule 2-5 year warranty. Commercial roofs are usually warranted for 20 years with ZERO maintenance requirements. Nobody gets on the roof of a commercial building and washes it and reseals ALL of the penetrations every six months. Commercial buildings are also exposed to the elements 24/7 and able to withstand 130 MPH winds, which I doubt if most RV's will ever experience.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Wrinkles and bubbles should not exist. I would suspect that the roof was installed by RV mechanics and not by roofers that deal with rubber roofs all of the time. Any wrinkles can hinder drainage and can cause weak areas in the rubber with the flexing. Air gaps mean that the rubber was not embedded in to the adhesive properly and just points to the lack of knowledge with the product. A rubber roof is not rocket science but there is a right way to install it so that you do not have bubbles or wrinkles.

In 37 years as a RV technician, I have NEVER seen an RV roof replaced by a "Roofer" Or non RV roofing company. Wrinkles and some bubbles may be normal. The OP needs to post some pics of the problem. When you use the Dicor sealant, THAT will cause temporary bubbling and possibly wrinkles that shrink in a few weeks. If the installer did NOT use adequate Adhesive that will cause problems. If this is the case(not a big problem), I would NOT want it redone, I would ask for a partial Cash refund of what I paid. Also, if the unit was NOT redecked with wood, that will cause the problem also and if that is the case, I would demand the complete roof be redone and redecked. YOU NEVER REPLACE A EPDM ROOF WITHOUT NEW DECKING. Doug

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
The rubber roofs I've laid you put contact cement on the roof, then the rubber, wait a few minutes, then roll the rubber onto the roof. If you're good, it will be as smooth as a sheet on a bed. If you're not so good you'll have bubbles and wrinkles.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
They should not be big at all... I'd bring it back if you have concern.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

Madmartigan
Explorer
Explorer
la voy scott wrote:
The rubber roof on my 36 foot class A was replaced, but has several wrinkles and air gaps under the roof. Is this common or should I have the roof redone?

How much did it set you back to have that done? I always have nightmares about needing that.
25' 2011 MVP Summit 25-BH
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Having some temporary bubbles in a rubber roof does happen but if they are really big then I would be concerned that they didn't put down enough adhesive. Take the rig back to the shop and have them inspect. It should be an easy issue to resolve by the repair outfit - they likely will inject some adhesive through the liner.
Kevin

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Did it have wrinkles and bubbles before?

Mine does not have any but I have seen Rv's going down the road - some new - with big billowing bubbles.

Seems like an issue or at least an invitation to one if you ask me.
2013 ACE 29.2