cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hip Dysplasia

schl44
Explorer
Explorer
Our 170 lb Newfoundland has hip dysplasia. We had traveled with him in the past but now he will not be able to climb the pet ramp to ride in our Supper Crew truck. We are treating his condition with the best treatment available and he can walk but any climbng is out of the question. We are looking into a hip harness to see if that helps. Also I am
trying to find a longer telescoping ramp to cut the angle down.He is part of the family and we can't go with out him. Any ideas anyone?
5 REPLIES 5

dturm
I have not had to deal with a 170 pound patient with hip dysplasia. I can't imagine the way a sling would work with that big a patient, the torque and angles a person would have to use to assist a dog up a ramp would be pretty difficult. I think your best plan would be to offer an assist with a ramp, our 75# goldens adapted to a hand between the back legs as an assist going up a ramp or steps. Going down wasn't usually a problem, but the towel or sling works to control the descent.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
You can also temporarily use one of the cloth grocery bags for a sling. Just cut the sides out and lift with the handles. We had a Webmaster harness from Ruffwear for our Tripawd, Murphy. Not sure what their largest size is, but you might check them out. Good quality product. Another brand I've heard good reports on is the Help 'em Up harness.

EDIT: I just checked the Webmaster page, and it looks like thise won't be big enough. The Help'em Up has a size that fits up to 220 pounds, though.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Billinwoodland wrote:
When buying pups, be sure to check on the status of the parents. I personally will not buy a pup that does not have OFA or Penn clean hips for both the dam and stud. That is your best insurance against having to deal with hip dysplasia later in life. For some breeds, you want to be sure the parent stock also has clean elbows and retinas.

at this point, this advice seems a bit late?

to the OP, i'm in a similar boat...

I've trained my malamute to climb up while I support his rear end... that works for getting in, and he'll climb down the ramp on his own getting out. He doesn't have bad hips but instead has damaged the CCL in both knees from too much jumping as a youngster.

It was easy with the half ton grocery getter, the back seat wasn't much higher than a passenger car, but with the new three quarter, it's a good climb into that seat.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
The harness system works pretty good for the larger breeds. You can also use a large towel under the belly to help give him some support as he goes up and down steps. You often dont need to take all his weight, just enough to take the pressure off the hips.

When buying pups, be sure to check on the status of the parents. I personally will not buy a pup that does not have OFA or Penn clean hips for both the dam and stud. That is your best insurance against having to deal with hip dysplasia later in life. For some breeds, you want to be sure the parent stock also has clean elbows and retinas.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
I just did a quick Google search an found these "dog lift harness. May help while getting up the ramp?

Lift Harness

Pops