Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RoadTrek Sprinter RS or CS Adventurous for family of 5

AdventurerW
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everybody,

New guy here with a family of 5. Really could use your expertise.

Will be in the market to purchase a 1-2 yr old used RT CS or RS Adventurous (or like vehicle) in 3 years. My kids will be 4, 8, 12 respectively in that time. Is this a set and done deal? No. This is what I desire and have been for several years now, so it has some staying power.

I don't want a B+ or C RV for many reasons. Most important is bc anything larger is not really an everyday vehicle, nor (just as importantly) will my HOA stand for it. They have approved the B (or anything smaller).

Here are my thoughts going in it.

1 - Kids are getting older - want them to experience this with us. 20 years from now, I want to say this with happiness and not regret.

2 - This will be for everyday use: commuting to practice (not everyday, but most), extending weekend trips (for ie, park at the beach, spend all day there in comfort and then go back to RV campground or home...go to soccer tournament, stay in vehicle until the next game later that day as opposed to going back to hotel...use it for week vacations from say Florida to Rocky Mtns and augmenting it with RV resorts/campgrounds or hotels).

3 - Sleeping all five in it will be for only rare occasions. I don't see it as a hotel replacement. 5 is too tight and do not need to experience it to know it. I would bring a pup tent with me if we stayed at a campground so at least 2-3 will be in tent and rest in Sprinter.

4 - Is it expensive? Yes it is. Would I be foregoing retirement and digging into emergency funds to buy it? No. I bring this up b/c i think this is important to not let it come in front of investments, savings, etc.

5 - Life is **** short. The wherewithal to make a quick plan on Friday night and leave on Saturday to go somewhere new with the family is extremely enticing. Sure we could do this with an SUV, yet at a very different convenience/stress level. After all, the Sprinter is for convenience (amongst many other perks), lower stress as compared to being cramped up in car on a long trip, and maximizing the day with those you love.

6 - We are not big campers. So getting this rig will not automatically turn us into campers - and I don't expect to turn into Webelo Papa Joe (I wish I had Webelo skills). The idea of camping is great. We may love it! Yet I only see us doing it for one night and then continuing on our sightseeing ways. The idea of staying at one place for a week is not enticing, so the versatility of getting up and leaving is a wonderful prospect. If we did stay at one place for a week, than it would have to be coupled with a cabin or some kind of RV style resort.

7 - Great expectations lead to great disappointment. After reading many forums, I have read many saying "good luck" buying this with a family of 5 in mind. I get it. That's why my feelings on this vehicle is not for living. To not treat is as a Class A RV. It's primary purpose is to extend the day and explore, using it as a place to lounge in nature, to augment it with cabin's, campgrounds, hotels (if using for a week).

8 - Picking Roadtrek due to their 6 year warranty and b/c they are less expensive than Airstream.

Questions:

What do you RV.Net faithful's think about this concept?

If you were to choose between a RS and CS Adventurous, which one would it be? I am siding towards the CS as I like the enclosed galley.

What else can you say to a newbie like me? Am I being realistic in its usage and intent?
31 REPLIES 31

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I would question your waiting until the children are older. Mine were 2 years old and 1 mo. old when we went on our first when we got our first TT. We have had at least 1 RV at all times since 1969. Now the youngest has a Wanderlodge and oldest (50) is looking at a van or using my RT at times.There are many memories from their younger years and at 12 for the oldest it may be too late to get them interested in RVing.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

jakegw2
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm... I think a bit of clarification is in order here. I do not think that diesel fuel is going away. I do think that as the number of VW diesel cars on the road decreases many service stations will begin questioning the value of having a diesel pump that is only lightly used. Some will remove it in favor of an additional gas pump. The end result will be that in 5-10 years it will be harder (not impossible!) to find diesel, especially in city centers and suburbs, and you will need to do a bit more planning to locate a service station that sells it. Of course truck stops will always carry it so that option will not change.

For the record, I think the Sprinter is a great van. It just happens to excel at a slightly different set of criteria then the ProMaster, so knowing which is a better fit for your needs is the best approach. It is not a slam-dunk like comparing a Mercedes E-Class against a Dodge Dart where the extra money gets you a superior vehicle in every respect.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel fuel going away?? Not likely.

We have nearly 140K miles on our LTV Sprinter and would make the same choice again. Routine service can be done on Sprinters at local shops just like for any vehicle. We get ours serviced at a local Meineke shop. People bad mouthing Sprinters are generally not owners.

Ours has been to Alaska twice and all over the US and Canada. Happy owners we are. ๐Ÿ™‚
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

jakegw2
Explorer
Explorer
Of course I have not lived with any of these, just a fellow potential buyer here, but from what I can tell the Zion SRT design has a lot going for it. It is very open and easy to see out of, which I think would make it easier to use as a daily driver. The compressor fridge is really nice because you can just turn it on and load it up right away (which is how we use the one we have now) and it can cool down without any issues. The macerator will let you empty the tanks at home in a pinch if you need to do so. It is one of the shorter class B vans out there - easier to park and drive.

As for the Sprinter - you may want to look around on the Sprinter Forum site and see what others have to say about it. My impression is that it is a very good van, but you pay a hefty premium for the diesel engine and like any MB product the repair costs (when needed) will be a bit pricy. Commercial owners seem to find the total cost of ownership to be on the high side. It has some unique benefits however, so knowing how it fits your personal needs is the best way to evaluate its cost effectiveness.

RespondingBack
Explorer
Explorer
The Airstream Sprinter Westfalia was apparently popular with soccer mmoms (according to dealer). Seats 5 and sleeps 4.

Believe a family of four or five travelled full-time and homeschooled the kids for a year or more in an Airstream Westfalia. They supplemented by towing a cargo trailer.

As main purpose of vehicle is not to live in, a cheaper alternative maybe a full-size passenger van (with the safety of original seats, etc.). Then supplement with a composting toilet/Porta-Potti in rear with curtains and a removable tied-down all-in-one kitchen unit (fridge, sink, etc.). You would miss out on the heavy weight, fresh water and waste tanks, complexity, etc. Think of the van as a huge tent, which carries limited camping amenities. No issues re RV restrictions.

davepcpowernet
Explorer
Explorer
Sprinter diesel service doesn't have to cost that much. First, compare getting oil and filters changes every 3K to 5K miles: 4 changes at $30 to $50 = $120 to $200. My last oil change was about $100 for oil and filters from NAPA (on sale), $130 for a Mercedes mobile mechanic to come to my house to work. Total cost $230.
The filter cost can vary, but you can buy a Mercedes fuel filter on line.
Dave

AdventurerW
Explorer
Explorer
jakegw2 wrote:
I am a bit surprised that you are so firm on the MB platform. As near as I can tell the biggest benefit it offers is a higher tow rating (well, a 4WD option too). From anecdotal reports the ride is rough without an aftermarket suspension system. It uses diesel fuel which will likely start to disappear from many service stations in the next few years now that the VW scandal has removed so many diesel engines from service and all but killed the market for new consumer ones. Despite the nametag the Sprinter is not particularly 'Mercedees-like' - very few of the advanced MB luxury features are available on the platform. Not all that many MB service centers will perform repair work on the Sprinter making it a chore to get repaired if there is not a good one close by.

Certainly it has the MB symbol on the front and I know this makes a difference to some people. The PM chassis on the other hand has more of the traditional car features, including the side curtain airbags. All Dodge dealers work on the platform, making it easier to service. Any cost comparison between gas and diesel fuel economy that takes into account the cost premium for the diesel engine will show a significant advantage for gas in terms of total cost of ownership. In my opinion the vertical side walls make a huge difference in the feel of the interior space, while still having a better turn radius then the Sprinter (more maneuverable).

Not that I am trying to talk you out of buying a Sprinter chassis. The MB platform is fine and perfectly serviceable for a class B, but selecting a model with a preference for it outside of the tow rating and 4WD capability seems like it would miss the bigger picture. I would recommend choosing based on layout and build quality of the conversion regardless of which platform it is built on.

I will second your opinion of the Zion SRT. It was very impressive to me and offered such a spacious interior with lots of flexibility.

You also mentioned wanting to get the Voltstart system. I must say that offering this as a factory option with the LiPo batteries is by far the most functional factory power system offering on the market. I do have some concern over the quality and long-term reliability of the system however. If you have not seen it before please spend some time checking out the www.thefitrv.com. The blogger is an extensive DIY person who builds his own LiPo system with secondary alternator. The market is pretty immature right now. There are very few components that are specifically built for LiPo and that will not damage them in the longer term. As far as I can tell RT does not share the component info, but they do not appear to be using components from the few manufacturers who have completely rebuilt their components for LiPo-optimized functionality.

But by all means take this with a grain of salt and do your own research. Even without the optimized components the Voltstart is far more functional then a traditional generator & AGM battery setup and will probably last as long as you own your RV if you are using it only sporadically.

Hi Jake - all comments digested well - points taken!

Have been "interviewing" Sprinter owners as well. The diesel engine is one of the things attractive to me in an MB Sprinter, yet just found out from an MB Sprinter owner that she has to fork over $700 every 20k miles for scheduled maintenance at the dealer. Man that is costly.

I'm the type of dude who will buy a large bag of premium ground coffee so I get the most value per ounce. With that being said, if the overall cost of an MB Sprinter fuel/scheduled maintenance is more than one of a PM chassis (such as the Zion or Zion SRT), than the PM comes into play.

Surely, the MB shiny symbol will lose its luster if it causes cash to disappear faster.

What are your thoughts on the Zion SRT for a family of 5 as an everyday vehicle with extended travel use? Too small?

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Sportsmobile can build you something way more versatile.

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diesel fuel will remain available as long as diesel engines are used in most OTR trucks...
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

jakegw2
Explorer
Explorer
I am a bit surprised that you are so firm on the MB platform. As near as I can tell the biggest benefit it offers is a higher tow rating (well, a 4WD option too). From anecdotal reports the ride is rough without an aftermarket suspension system. It uses diesel fuel which will likely start to disappear from many service stations in the next few years now that the VW scandal has removed so many diesel engines from service and all but killed the market for new consumer ones. Despite the nametag the Sprinter is not particularly 'Mercedees-like' - very few of the advanced MB luxury features are available on the platform. Not all that many MB service centers will perform repair work on the Sprinter making it a chore to get repaired if there is not a good one close by.

Certainly it has the MB symbol on the front and I know this makes a difference to some people. The PM chassis on the other hand has more of the traditional car features, including the side curtain airbags. All Dodge dealers work on the platform, making it easier to service. Any cost comparison between gas and diesel fuel economy that takes into account the cost premium for the diesel engine will show a significant advantage for gas in terms of total cost of ownership. In my opinion the vertical side walls make a huge difference in the feel of the interior space, while still having a better turn radius then the Sprinter (more maneuverable).

Not that I am trying to talk you out of buying a Sprinter chassis. The MB platform is fine and perfectly serviceable for a class B, but selecting a model with a preference for it outside of the tow rating and 4WD capability seems like it would miss the bigger picture. I would recommend choosing based on layout and build quality of the conversion regardless of which platform it is built on.

I will second your opinion of the Zion SRT. It was very impressive to me and offered such a spacious interior with lots of flexibility.

You also mentioned wanting to get the Voltstart system. I must say that offering this as a factory option with the LiPo batteries is by far the most functional factory power system offering on the market. I do have some concern over the quality and long-term reliability of the system however. If you have not seen it before please spend some time checking out the www.thefitrv.com. The blogger is an extensive DIY person who builds his own LiPo system with secondary alternator. The market is pretty immature right now. There are very few components that are specifically built for LiPo and that will not damage them in the longer term. As far as I can tell RT does not share the component info, but they do not appear to be using components from the few manufacturers who have completely rebuilt their components for LiPo-optimized functionality.

But by all means take this with a grain of salt and do your own research. Even without the optimized components the Voltstart is far more functional then a traditional generator & AGM battery setup and will probably last as long as you own your RV if you are using it only sporadically.

AdventurerW
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what was gained as a result of receiving insightful comments from you RV.Netters, further online research, and attending an RV show yesterday.

- It became clear that the RS Adventurous made more sense versus the CS, just like Dave mentioned! Fact of the matter is, the additional captain's chair and visibility trumps the bigger fridge and closed in galley.

The openness of the RS has more of an appeal. Along with family of 5, we can only take one more passenger on the CS. I can take my brother and his g/f or in both of my in-laws with the RS - makes a difference.

The fridge, although small, is adequate for the planned usage of the vehicle (as discussed on this thread). Plus the XL adds more cargo space in back to add another cooler if necessary.

- To fine tune now what is desired on the RS: XL extended length, undermount A/C for further stealth, volt start with underhood generator, screen package, two extra fold out beds, and diesel with Alde heat and hot water system. Not yet sure what extra power to go with - that remains to be seen (thinking of the lower Ecotrek level of litium ion battery and lower solar panel.

- Winnebago ERA 70X is definitely out of the running. It's not conducive to sleeping 4-5 people as the front seats do not convert into beds. Did not enjoy the feel of this thing.

- If MB Sprinter's did not exist, would definitely go with the Dodge SRT Zion. Nice little rig.

- Since MB Sprinter's do exist, would definitely not go with ProMaster chassis. If I was 20-25k short, I'd still wait and save the extra green cash for a MB Sprinter. All in the name of resale value, better gas mileage, safety/smart features, more room. But I get it, for many, 20-25k means the ProMaster is for them, so I 100% respect that.

Thanks to all again for your plug ins and please add more comments to teach this rookie a thing or three.

AdventurerW
Explorer
Explorer
We came back from an RV show yesterday and I will be posting my thoughts on it after a break in work duties. It was a great choice to go as it further filters out future purchase planning.

It is my hope that the upcoming post speaks out to families of 4 or 5 in search for a Sprinter like yours truly.

AdventurerW
Explorer
Explorer
Caseyontheroad wrote:
AdventurerW,

Don't know how you (or your HOA) feel about going a bit longer, but Roadtrek offers both the CS and RS on an extended body Sprinter.
XL Sprinter
That gives you an 18 inch open storage area behind the rear couch. It may not sound like much but it would give you a spot to corral all of the stuff a family of five needs and free up space inside the main body of the van.

Hi Casey - i think you are SPOT on! What's one foot? Not much and indeed the extra storage space will mean a lot (tents, extra cooler, seats, luggage).

Your post reinforces a new must. Thank you!

AdventurerW
Explorer
Explorer
sprintstream wrote:
I have a 2005 Gulfstream Vista Cruiser Sprinter Class B. The Sprinter chassis is an excellent choice for what you want to do. I too recommend the popup. This gives you options not mentioned. If you use a popup you don't have to take it everywhere all the time. If you are in a campground it keeps your spot rather than packing it all up and unhooking everything. If just the adults go then you use just the van.

We love our Sprinter but repair locations can be a problem to find. Not all MB , Dodge or Freightliner dealerships work on them. Few independent shops are equipped or trained either. They are out there but just be aware.

Hi SprintStreem - good to hear the Sprinter has been a good one for you.

Fortunately, there is a RT dealer 11 miles away from us in St Augustine. Great advice b/c it would blow if I had to travel hours to get to a RT dealer.