cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Painting my 93 Dutchmen

jbilling
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a member of this forum for a while now and I have benefited from the good advice and solutions that are shared. Each time I looked at my 1993 class A I was discouraged at the faded paint and cracked peeling decals. I began to research possibly repainting it myself. There was an immediate cloud of negotiate comments on each forum I looked at. Finally on a little known forum for tiny trailers and home built teardrop campers I found sound advise from people who had actually did what I was thinking of. About 2 months ago I bought an airless paint sprayer from Harbor Freight for my grandson to help him with a commercial job he was painting. I watched him paint metal doors for a church and lacquer some heavy wood doors for inside the church. I was very impressed with his skill with the machine and the resulted he achieved. That's when I decided to go for it and the work began. I spent over 80 hours removing the old decals, sanding scrapes and scratches and rebuilding the front door.
24 REPLIES 24

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
You have a very Classic look going on. Very nice job.
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

jbilling
Explorer
Explorer
For those who are thinking of painting their RV. Just roll up your sleeves and go to it. Jeff

jbilling
Explorer
Explorer
I'm very pleased with the final outcome. I wondered when I started this project if I wasn't exceeding my capabilities. But I just kept at it one task at a time and it turned out great. Thanks for the kind words. Jeff

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Man, that looks awesome!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Very classy, a job well done!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

jbilling
Explorer
Explorer
Well I finished the Dutchmen paint job today, I added two accent stripes. The upper strip is a dark blue and the lower stripe is teal. These colors match the awnings and the interior colorings. I think they make the white and grey come alive. Jeff

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice job - maybe a good retirement gig?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
jbilling wrote:
Aruba5er and Western, yes I will do 2 full length stripes in dark blue over turquoise. As for the Harbor Freight airless unit, it worked great and is still working. I have several more projects for it. The secret to airless sprayer, Harbor Freight or Graco or whatever is as always prep and cleanup. I am not a big reader of instructions but on complex items I follow the directions to the letter. My grandson (a professional house painter) was impressed with the unit. Before starting the job I ordered an assortment of spray tips for the different paints and primers. The tip that ships with the unit was way to big #515 it would go through a gallon of paint Fast!!!
Stripes sound great!
Yes, the trick with airless sprayers is to keep them clean and use oil on the pump shaft every time it's used. My Graco has a bottle holder that carries that shaft oil dispenser bottle. It just takes a few drops or a healthy squirt to oil the shaft.

I think my Graco is about 15 yrs old. It has paid for itself many times over. I did have to take it in for pump seal replacement, once. I got caught up spraying some military stuff for a collector and the last gallon was some type of self-mixing epoxy and I didn't have a solvent that would work. Before I could get solvent, the pump, lines, and gun all had to be broken down and cleaned, a long tedious process.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
She looks real nice. You and your grandson probably had some good quality time together. I miss my grandfather and cherish the times we had working together on little projects.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Great work, you should be smiling big as you head down the road.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

MrWizard
Great job
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Lots of time and effort. Well done.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

jbilling
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a shot of the paint room. Jeff

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most RVs don't get used much. They sit outside in the weather and look old. Assuming they have not been lived in, many quality older trailers are worth saving. Fading decals is a problem. They can be removed. An all white trailer looks pretty great to my eye. I like to put some stickers on mine to make them more interesting to look at. Replacing the faded light lenses really helps also.

You did a great job. You broke with conventional wisdom and greatly increased the value of your rig.