cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prices Out of Control

Zenbob
Explorer
Explorer
Just happened to be looking at the "End of Winter" Sale and one item in particular caught my eye!
There is a 40# Propane Cylinder on sale for $81.97, regular price is $156.00!
Great sale price?? You can get the same thing at Lowes (Worthington 40# cylinder) for around $87.00 everyday! The regular price of $156.00 is ridiculous!
I have noticed many other items at Camping World are overpriced and can be purchased elsewhere for much less!
I understand that it is convenient to have so much in one place, but if you have time to wait, shop around! Many times you can find the same items online for much less!
I have been a Good Sam member for almost 10 years but I am considering not renewing my membership when it expires! Not sure the savings on overpriced items outweigh the cost of the membership!
14 REPLIES 14

Good_Sam_Care_T
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

We are closing this topic due to lack of activity. Thank you for your time and participating. Feel free to open a new thread on this topic in the future if you would like.

Thank you,
Ella
Good Sam Care Team

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, bumpy. Come on out to the west coast!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"Who cares what anyone says what the original price was"

Actually, park owner, California does. A retail item must be offered at original price for a certain number of days before it can go on sale. DW just got $800 in store credit from JCPennys for their funny business as did many others.

note to Penny's, "sold elsewhere for xxx".
bumpy

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Who cares what anyone says what the original price was"

Actually, park owner, California does. A retail item must be offered at original price for a certain number of days before it can go on sale. DW just got $800 in store credit from JCPennys for their funny business as did many others.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Zenbob wrote:
Just happened to be looking at the "End of Winter" Sale and one item in particular caught my eye!
There is a 40# Propane Cylinder on sale for $81.97, regular price is $156.00!
Great sale price?? You can get the same thing at Lowes (Worthington 40# cylinder) for around $87.00 everyday! The regular price of $156.00 is ridiculous!
I have noticed many other items at Camping World are overpriced and can be purchased elsewhere for much less!
I understand that it is convenient to have so much in one place, but if you have time to wait, shop around! Many times you can find the same items online for much less!
I have been a Good Sam member for almost 10 years but I am considering not renewing my membership when it expires! Not sure the savings on overpriced items outweigh the cost of the membership!

So you are saying, everyone should price the item at $156 and be forced to hold that price? This way no one could underprice someone else? Would definitely simplify shopping.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Tiger02 wrote:
I believe the OP's intent is more on the fictitious regular price scam than the "sale" price. It pays to shop around.

I would not call it fictitious it is the regular selling price.
I agree they may not sell many at that price but when they do the margin is great. No different than any other retailer.
You may go to the local fast food and get a great deal on the .99 cent burger. But as soon as you order the $1.50 coke and 2.25 fries the fast food wins.
CW's pricing strategy is very typical nothing scandalous at all.
All merchants attempt to lure you in the door with a bargain priced item and hope you buy a more profitable item while you are there.
Basic retail 101.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Unlikely they were ever priced at the "regular price" anyway. Standard pricing strategy at most stores.

I thought that they had to be sold/offered at the higher price to claim a discount. that is why some say "offered elsewhere at????"
bumpy

Tiger02
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the OP's intent is more on the fictitious regular price scam than the "sale" price. It pays to shop around.
2006 Keystone Outback Sydney 30 FRKS

1997 Ford F350 Auto, 4.10LS Axle, 160,000 Miles, Crew Cab with DRW.

US Army 1984-2016.

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
I find it strange that someone is complaining about a CW price when they are selling something for cheaper than they can get it at Lowes.

As others have said, shop around and find the price you are willing to pay.
If CW is still in business, I think they likely have a business plan that works for them. I don't think a bunch of arm-chair quarterbacks/CEOs on some internet forum are likely to be better business managers.

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
$81.97 at CW vs $87.00 at Lowe's - If I needed it I'd buy it at CW sale price!
Times fun when you're having flies!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Unlikely they were ever priced at the "regular price" anyway. Standard pricing strategy at most stores.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe math has changed since I was a student, but I believe Camping Worlds price of $81.97 is cheaper than Lowe's $87.00. Who cares what anyone says what the original price was. This is normal retail. Go into any Walmart, Target, Best Buy, JC Penny, Macys etc. etc. etc. and you will see items that they say were this amount (a price you probably wouldn't pay) and now it is on sale for this amount (a price you would pay). If your biggest gripe is Camping World shows a high list price on an item they are selling for less than you can buy it for elsewhere, you have a pretty good life.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I find CW competitive on some items and not on others similar to most brick and mortar stores. Lowes included. Once this whole internet/retail fight is over I hope we like what remains.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
There is a reason the cylinders are on sale. They weren't selling at full price. Even at the sale price CW is making money.
Every item in any store can be bought for less somewhere else if you are willing to shop around. That's the free market system at work.