cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

roof rack

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone actually use their roof rack for anything beside tripping over when up on the roof? We're moving in a couple of months and would like to store some stuff up there, freeing up some storage room for stuff we'll need while actually on the road. Not exactly sure what weight capacity would be, or how to actually pack/secure stuff up there. Was thinking of putting the spare tire up there, but that's a pain and I found a place underneath the coach to mount it. Normal roof rack/box/storage bags are usually too narrow to fit all the way across.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions
18 REPLIES 18

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
If I can get the spare tire out of the lower storage compartment, I should be ok not needing the roof rack. But when you are moving across country, you never know how much **** you'll need. Can I put the wife's shoes up there? That might save 1/3 of the interior storage space right there.

Side note, genturi pipes showed up today, took 10 min to attach and set up. Not hearing a whole lot of difference in noise, but I do like the idea of the exhaust being pumped up and out of the way instead of hanging around under the coach. Going to need to put a foam spacer between the pipe and the top edge of the roof to keep it from bouncing around.
banks intake/exhaust

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm...people seem afraid to put even light cargo on the roof, but not afraid of having a few hundred pound air conditioner sitting there all the time. (Granted, the roof structure is sometimes built with some extra reinforcement around the air conditioner's location.)

I don't carry anything on my roof, and my roof rack such as it is consists only of a toe rail around the edge of the back third or so of my RV. It's not so much that I fear damage to the roof structure, as it is that climbing up and down is a pain and I have plenty of storage space in more convenient places on my rig for the stuff I want to carry.

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for nothing on the roof ever. I have a fiberglass roof finally and it don't leak. Heck, I take my shoes off when I walk on it. I think keeping stuff up there, even with a Lazy Daze aluminium roof, would be too much of a risk of causing a leak..

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Ours did leak. I took it off years ago and eternal bonded where all the screw holes were. It was just fluff. I never would have used it for any cargo.
Brian

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our second Itasca with a fiber glass roof. Neither one of them has a roof rack.
On both of them I epoxied a carrier for my 17' kevlar canoe, It weights 47 lb..

Dusty

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
What are your thoughts on the Genturi? I looked at one, haven't decided yet. Last trip, didn't even need the generator, found enough places to plug in.

I don't leave home without my Genturi! THE best thing I've bought for my MH. Just wish everyone had one.

That darn gen exhaust pipe is only a few inches out from the side of the MH's. Fumes go right up the side where there is usually a window. Closed or not the inside of MH's usually have a faint smell of exhaust when using the gen. That and when the wind blows it blows it right under you MH and we all know how tightly sealed the undercarriages on MH's is, not. So it comes in from there too.

For years while going to events I though my headaches were from all the daily events......come to find out it was from the gen exhaust.

Put that Genturi on and wow WHAT a difference. No smell, gen sound quieter. And blows me away that you can touch the pipe. It does not get hot. Which is a real safety issue when you are parked close so no kid or adult walking by gets burned. And the design so no back pressure to your gen is of course very important.

Sorry for being long winded but I just can't say enough good things about the Genturi. :W

What he said x10. I only dry camp at random events a couple of times a year, mainly at the Pocono Raceway. Your neighbors really appreciate it if you have a Genturi. Spots are tight and in my case the genny exhaust is blowing right into their outdoor living area. It quiets things down and puts the exhaust up away from them - and you.

I didn't drill a hole in the side of my rig for the mount - I attach it with a bungy cord up at the roof rack.

:B
I thought and thought and thought about that issue of drilling those 2 holes into the side of my MH for the hook for the bungee clip!!

I finally just took the plunge and drilled away! Because I too do the events where you are crammed like sardines no shore power, so I use it a lot at those venues. Makes for putting it up a breeze with the bungee/hooks right at eye level.

All I can say is years later the holes didn't rust from the hooks and nothing leaks. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
What are your thoughts on the Genturi? I looked at one, haven't decided yet. Last trip, didn't even need the generator, found enough places to plug in.

I don't leave home without my Genturi! THE best thing I've bought for my MH. Just wish everyone had one.

That darn gen exhaust pipe is only a few inches out from the side of the MH's. Fumes go right up the side where there is usually a window. Closed or not the inside of MH's usually have a faint smell of exhaust when using the gen. That and when the wind blows it blows it right under you MH and we all know how tightly sealed the undercarriages on MH's is, not. So it comes in from there too.

For years while going to events I though my headaches were from all the daily events......come to find out it was from the gen exhaust.

Put that Genturi on and wow WHAT a difference. No smell, gen sound quieter. And blows me away that you can touch the pipe. It does not get hot. Which is a real safety issue when you are parked close so no kid or adult walking by gets burned. And the design so no back pressure to your gen is of course very important.

Sorry for being long winded but I just can't say enough good things about the Genturi. :W

What he said x10. I only dry camp at random events a couple of times a year, mainly at the Pocono Raceway. Your neighbors really appreciate it if you have a Genturi. Spots are tight and in my case the genny exhaust is blowing right into their outdoor living area. It quiets things down and puts the exhaust up away from them - and you. I didn't drill a hole in the side of my rig for the mount - I attach it with a bungy cord up at the roof rack.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

That darn gen exhaust pipe is only a few inches out from the side of the MH's. Fumes go right up the side where there is usually a window. Closed or not there still are the weep holes so the inside of MH's usually have a faint smell of exhaust when using the gen.

That and when the wind blows it blows it right under you MH and we all know how tightly sealed the undercarriages on MH's is, not. So it comes in from there too.

Put that Genturi on and wow WHAT a difference. No smell, gen sound quieter and more importantly no more headaches!

And still blows me away that you can touch the pipe. It does not get hot. Which is a real safety issue when you are parked close so no kid or adult walking by gets burned. And the design so no back pressure to your gen is of course very important. I was at a couple of parks out west that "required" genturi pipes or you couldn't stay there. Wish ALL RV parking required them.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
photobug wrote:
ok, there's and article about some dude that stores his helicopter on the roof of his rv ๐Ÿ˜›
http://www.doityourselfrv.com/furrion-elysium-rv/?utm_content=buffer5fbb4&utm_medium=social&utm_sour...

I'm thinking that is going to have some clearance issues even without the helicopter.

In all seriousness, I do use mine to store a bungy cord that I use to attach the Genturi. Other than that it's really cosmetic. Anything else would be tough to lug up there and cause clearance problems. It's a distinctive marque on the old Allegros so I kept it. And I have to seal the mounting points annually.

banks intake/exhaust

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
photobug wrote:
ok, there's and article about some dude that stores his helicopter on the roof of his rv ๐Ÿ˜›
http://www.doityourselfrv.com/furrion-elysium-rv/?utm_content=buffer5fbb4&utm_medium=social&utm_sour...

I'm thinking that is going to have some clearance issues even without the helicopter.

In all seriousness, I do use mine to store a bungy cord that I use to attach the Genturi. Other than that it's really cosmetic. Anything else would be tough to lug up there and cause clearance problems. It's a distinctive marque on the old Allegros so I kept it. And I have to seal the mounting points annually.

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.doityourselfrv.com/furrion-elysium-rv/?utm_content=buffer5fbb4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
banks intake/exhaust

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I use mine to let water into the interior through its mounting points.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
My roof rack was installed so that now, there are 26 extra holes in the roof.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
I would be surprised if anyone on this forum used the roof racks at all. For one thing the roof is a very important part of the RV. It is also very delicate. Look at it sideways and you will develop a leak. Once a leak starts is like a cancer and being on top of the RV it will follow the laws of gravity. Dripping down down and down till it reaches the pavement. All through the camper, if left alone it will rot the entire camper. You can have this leak without even knowing about it. So why chance putting something up there that can compromise the integrity of the roof..

Not only that it looks funny when you tie something down up there. Like a box or tarp or anything really... Leave the roof empty you will be very happy you did.