Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full on REMODEL inside & out

daved9664
Explorer
Explorer
Hey friends.

I want to completely remodel my 92 class A. I bought it with 36k miles on it, and re did the engine and brakes. Ok. Good to drive, not so great to look at.

I want to put siding on it like a tiny house. Any body have some resources and info about re doing the walls inside and adding siding to the outside?

Any rv remodel info in general would help
15 REPLIES 15

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, you are not going to be able to side your RV with home siding. The way siding is designed to be installed on a home would cause the siding to separate and fly off when driving 60 MPH (even worse if there is any wind). This is not the option you are looking for. Ensuring the seams are all sealed and painting the coach (even with a brush and roller or air gun) is going to give you a more satisfactory result.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bruce Brown wrote:
Not a motorhome but a travel trailer. It's a lot of work but was also a lot of fun. I have around 400 hours in this one, 395 of them were a blast.

If you decide to do it, take lots of pictures before taking things apart.

Camper Rehab
Bruce what a job. Is this a hobby for you or a full time job? That was a lot of work but came out very nice.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
daved9664 wrote:
Weight is not an issue, I removed the generator, old water heater, old furnace, and old propane tank and will not be replacing. I also took out the microwave (bad for you anyway), TV (same), and heavy metal stairs. I dropped a huge amount of weight. It can take siding and new walls. I want siding to sell it for more as a tiny home.

Anybody have some resources on redoing the wood walls on the inside??? Pictures, guides, anything. Less speculation, more positivity and links! Cheers.

How will you be using it as a home if you can't cook, stay warm or bathe in it? Seems like you could have bought a tiny house and saved a lot of hassle and money and have needed amenities to actually call it a house. Don't want to come across as negative but you took out the living essentials so you could add siding. Sorry, I don't get it.
2013 ACE 29.2

westend
Explorer
Explorer
daved9664 wrote:
Weight is not an issue, I removed the generator, old water heater, old furnace, and old propane tank and will not be replacing. I also took out the microwave (bad for you anyway), TV (same), and heavy metal stairs. I dropped a huge amount of weight. It can take siding and new walls. I want siding to sell it for more as a tiny home.

Anybody have some resources on redoing the wood walls on the inside??? Pictures, guides, anything. Less speculation, more positivity and links! Cheers.

Look in the thread in my signature line, "the Cowboy/Hilton". There are lots of pictures and reasoning discussed.

#1 Tip: Draw plans. They don't have to be CAD, just something you can reference and write on to get the schedule of events and layout right. Or, remove a newly installed wall to put that switch box in (the one you forgot, lol).
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

daved9664
Explorer
Explorer

Bruce_Brown
Not a motorhome but a travel trailer. It's a lot of work but was also a lot of fun. I have around 400 hours in this one, 395 of them were a blast.

If you decide to do it, take lots of pictures before taking things apart.

Camper Rehab
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
If this is a serious post, I'm not so sure anyone can tell you how to remodel inside and out. Inside is doable with some serious experience at remodeling and preferably experience at remodeling an RV. House siding on an RV isn't going to work if you plan on keeping it mobile. If you have a metal skin on the outside, you could remove all of it and buy replacement skin,,,, maybe.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

MrWizard
RV walls and siding are permanently attached
You will be adding lots of additional weight, that may overload the axles or frame
Springs or airlifts will raise the body keep it from sagging, but does not strengthen the chassis or axles, excess weight is a killer
Also you will have to seal every attaching hole made or water will get into the walls and weaken them

I would think very hard before doing this
If you really want this look
Shop for a house truck, built from the frame with house style framing and look

Look up "house trucks" on Google
Most are one off custom builds by the people that use them
Occasionally one comes up for sale
Many are works of art by master craftsman, absolutely beautiful
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures, I want to see picture if ya do it. Time and patience and anything can be done. Throwing money at the problem never seems to hurt either.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I would do a repaint or a WRAP before siding.
Less likely to failure in extreme situations and when on the road.
After a few years in the sun any repairs to siding may be really noticeable due to fading. When on the road finding a matching piece will be a big PIA. With paint if you have the "numbers" the paint can be matched.
What will you attach the siding to? Most sandwich type walls will not hold the siding.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Just clean it up real good and fix anything that's broken on the outside.
I notice a well kept older model as anything else. I know from personal experience that it's easy to have something new look great but takes a certain kind of person to keep an older used model Pristine. I respect that.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
There's really not much difference between the siding of a house and the siding of an RV. It's just. The only difference is the siding on an RV is attached a little more firm. Both house and RV are built to withstand 80 plus mph winds! Just use lots and lots of screws and nails!

About the weight? Well, if this can be done, you can do it too!

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
An RV is engineered for the weight of its existing body. Adding house siding could bring on an overweight issue.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
The 1st thing you need to do before adding anything that involves "weight" is go get it weighed. I owned a 95 36ft. MH that with full fuel and water had a useful load of 250 lbs. With me and my wife, we were over gross. You add everything you want it will be a "tiny house". You can park it and live in it, but not travel.