cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting older MH road ready

Mamagoss6
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting an older MH from my mother. It has been sitting for quite a while. She thinks everything works but of course some things need to be done to get it moving again. I know I need to do new tires but what r some of the first things needed to even get the engine started. Any info appreciated. I will be having a mechanic look at it but need to get it there first. Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Mamagoss6 wrote:
I am getting an older MH from my mother. It has been sitting for quite a while. She thinks everything works but of course some things need to be done to get it moving again. I know I need to do new tires but what r some of the first things needed to even get the engine started. Any info appreciated. I will be having a mechanic look at it but need to get it there first. Thanks

Do replace all the motor oil and filter before starting if its been sitting for more than 2 years, if its been sitting for over 4 years you will need new trans fluid before driving it and grease all inserts under RV and check rear axel fluid, check brake fluid or at least flush and flush and refill radiator.

Vegas heat does some real damage overtime sitting, don't forget the rubber hoses and fan belts, oh and how old is the fuel, you might be in for some work my friend.

Also what year is motorhome and how long has it been sitting.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
How old is it? How long has it been idle? Is it gas or diesel? If it is an older gas engine it may have ignition points, they could be corroded and need cleaning. If it is new enough to have electronic ignition there are no points. Also the gas may be old, if it smells like varnish in the fuel tank that is not good, you will need to drain that out and replace it. Chances are that the fuel has drained back and it will take some cranking to get fuel in the carburetor (if it has fuel injection that will not be a problem). A diesel is a whole other matter but that fuel can get bad also.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Agree more info on year make and as others say how long it has been setting.

Be careful using starting fluid and only use it after trying to start and have a starting problem.

The fluid if overused will dry the cylinder walls and lock up the engine.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
We need more info about the chassis and how long it has been sitting and where (humid? dry?).

An perfectly good answer for an older Chevy 454 would be worthless if this is a diesel pusher.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would not do much until rig is up and running.
Then get engine oil changed, transmission fluid depending on mileage and back ground may need changed, differential fluid checked and changed depending on history.
If rig has been sitting for long period of time, it would be wise to have brake system flushed.
More information is needed on the rig. Mileage, time it has been sitting.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Mamagoss6
Explorer
Explorer
Should all engine fluids be drained and changed or can some just be filled? Thanks again for the info.

Mamagoss6
Explorer
Explorer
Should all engine fluids be drained and changed or can some just be filled? Thanks again for the info.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Make, model and chassis information would help.
How long has it been sitting without being ran?
Get a can of staring fluid. This should make it start easier. I suggest this for gas engine only!
You need to start by charging the batteries to see if they are any good. Replace if necessary.
Check to make sure all tires are carrying air.
Check engine fluids before trying to start.
Other posters are correct, however you want to gat it started first.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Brakes shocks anything rubber needs replaced or checked as it does break down

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oil and coolant levels, battery, starting fluid, look for critter damage then give it a try.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MrWizard
The usual answer is check all the belts and hoses, and change all the fluids
Warm up the engine then change the oil, the coolant etc..put on new belts for water pump fan alternator, could be one belt or multiple depending on what engine what year, replace batteries, both the engine start and the house batteries,
Lube all grease fittings etc.
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s