cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

After all these years...It Happened to me!!

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer
I have been driving Class "A" rigs since 1997. Been a Good Sam Member almost that long. Good Sam has saved my bacon on several past breakdowns and this time when I experienced my first real 'accident', they did everything by the book and once again I am happy with my annual membership.

My Accident?? I am driving on the Interstate Highway at about 58-60 MPH in the right lane - I usually stay at 60 thereabouts except if I need to pass a slower vehicle. So there I am, enjoying the drive, but now alone since the love of my life and co-pilot went to be with Jesus and the Angels 9 weeks ago - trying to keep a positive outlook and attitude. Then...BANG!!! I look-up to the rear monitor and I see my toad drifting away and back! Thanks goodness for safety cables!!

I slowly stop to the shoulder and note another car pulling off behind me. I get out to see what had happened - fearing I had caused some problem - but NO!! The other driver drove right into the back of my toad at about 70 MPH - the speed limit there. Back of the toad is pushed-in and it is then pushed into the back of the MoHo - breaking the Aladdin towbar at the ball and also breaking the tow hitch by bending it up and into the back of the rig.
No one hurt, but what an unexpected incident!! The toad is at a dealer repair shop 200 miles from home. The rig is drivable and I did make it home - and now I must go through the paperwork to get everything fixed back the way it was. The other driver was cited by the state trooper for 'careless operation', so I hope the insurance claim will not be difficult.

Sometimes, 'stuff' just happens!!
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

21 REPLIES 21

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Same thing happened to us in 2014. I kid on his cell phone ran into the back of the Jeep we were towing. We were doing the speed limit of 65 mph. He was going a good 10 mph over the limit when he hit us.

There was over $10.000.00 damage to the Jeep, and another $2,000.00 of ruined towing equipment. No damage to the motorhome or trailer hitch. The worst part was that he had just let his insurance laps.

Our insurance company picked up the tab, and after 3 years is still trying to collect from the offender. We may see success in the near future. Apparently even though there were no charges he still lost his license due to lack of financial responsibility. He needed his license for his job so he had to post a $10,000.00+ deposit with the secretary of state's office to get it reinstated. Our insurance company has made a claim against the deposit. We'll see what happens.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you did a good job of slowing down and getting off the road with a broken tow bar and other damage. Glad you are OK and hopefully getting everything fixed!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Wasn't any different back in the 50s, drivers got so bored without cell phones they just fell asleep and ran into stuff.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Tom N wrote:
One can't watch the road and the phone at the same time.

-Tom, W3TLN

Why not? It is very important to keep up with Facebook!

The phone or the road first would be a hard decision for me.

Multi tasking of phone FB, laptop with GPS, laptop with VMSpc and watching overhead TV keeps any driver busy. Not much time left too watch the road ahead and the rear view monitor.:)
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Norman wrote:
On the issue of accidents, darned near had one back in September. Guy 'merging' onto the interstate, his lane ended with him next to me. He had a concrete wall on the right and me on the left. Thankfully I was able to stop, he at the last moment instead of slowing to get behind me, decided to try and get in front. Missed by inches. I've heard of people with a toad having some genius try to cut in between the toad and MH at a toll booth! Wow!

But, they used their turn signal. :B

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Norman wrote:
On the issue of accidents, darned near had one back in September. Guy 'merging' onto the interstate, his lane ended with him next to me. He had a concrete wall on the right and me on the left. Thankfully I was able to stop, he at the last moment instead of slowing to get behind me, decided to try and get in front. Missed by inches. I've heard of people with a toad having some genius try to cut in between the toad and MH at a toll booth! Wow!

But, they used their turn signal. :B

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
You done did good. A true credit to the Good Sam's Club.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I lost my copilot almost 3 years ago. She always said when I died sshe was going to get a Roadtrek and sell the Mountainaire. I did that myself. In a weak moment I bought the GMC also thinking it would be bigger There is no way I can get my handicap scooter innthe GMC so it is useless to me. After 55 years she is missed.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Real "Ouch" will be when the guy behind you tries to explain to the Judge how he failed to see that Great Big Motor Home.

You were in the slow lane
You were well above the minimum speed, and below maximum posted (I'll bet he was faster than that) and it's his radiator and your towed taillights that are busted.. Hopefully no damage to the motor home.

The only issues is who is paying for your new towed.. Him or your insurance company (WIth his paying your deductable) that depends on where it happened.

Glad you were not hurt.

Lost my Copoilot ... Well end of next month it will be 4 years.. Still miss her.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
jfkmk wrote:
Last night we were leaving a parking lot after a show, where there were hundreds of cars trying to leave at once. We stopped at a cross walk to let the pedestrians cross. The last person was a woman who stopped in front of my car to answer her cell phone! Then she s...l...o...w...l...y finished crossing as she talked. Took all my will power not to lay on the horn.

Some there are who should not be allowed to attempt to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Tom N wrote:
One can't watch the road and the phone at the same time.

-Tom, W3TLN

Why not? It is very important to keep up with Facebook!

The phone or the road first would be a hard decision for me.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
First, sorry for the loss of your loved one.

For the brain surgeon who couldn't see the house driving down the road in front of them....you can't fix stupid! Poeple are so self absorbed it's incredible!

Last night we were leaving a parking lot after a show, where there were hundreds of cars trying to leave at once. We stopped at a cross walk to let the pedestrians cross. The last person was a woman who stopped in front of my car to answer her cell phone! Then she s...l...o...w...l...y finished crossing as she talked. Took all my will power not to lay on the horn.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad you are OK. Vehicle and equipment is fixable. Unfortunately, even if they slam INTO you, they still argue it was YOUR fault! Glad they got the ticket! Hope they loose their license!