cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Airing down Sailun Tires ?

DCamp84
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys just picked up my first 5er and another question came to mind. Don't worry I'll have a lot more as I get going lol. I live on Long Island and plan to do a lot of beach camping. The trailer is a 2011 and I have to assume the tires are original and will need replacing in the very near future. I have been doing some research and its looking like the Sailun brand is somewhat of a gold standard in trailer tires. It sounds like they are a many ply tire with thick side walls. So my question is. Is it ok to air down these tires down to go on the beach? It is my understanding it's not good to air down thick side wall tires as they require a high psi and will weaken the side wall when deflated. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
2011 Keystone Copper Canyon 5th Wheel
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LTZ CCSB 4x4
Pullrite SuperGlide 4100
21 REPLIES 21

DCamp84
Explorer
Explorer
93STPD I will be doing Montauk and Shinns a lot. What brand and model tire did you have that failed. I am trying to find a happy medium ( if there is such a thing) of tires that will do ok on the hwy and be ok after airing down time to time
Pullrite SuperGlide 4100

93STPD
Explorer
Explorer
Where you towing? Montauk or Shinacock? I aired down my tires going out of the cut at Montauk. I think you would be OK if you just aired down the truck tires and get a good run.
Montauk is pretty hard on the beach. It's the cut that's the killer.
I just got Sailun tires for my new fifth wheel today. I'm thinking of keeping my old tires and getting steel wheels just for the beach. steel rims are only like 56 bucks a piece.
I think the main reason my other trailer tires failed was because of the weakening of the sidewall after airing down.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
DCamp84 wrote:
Hey guys just picked up my first 5er and another question came to mind. Don't worry I'll have a lot more as I get going lol. I live on Long Island and plan to do a lot of beach camping. The trailer is a 2011 and I have to assume the tires are original and will need replacing in the very near future. I have been doing some research and its looking like the Sailun brand is somewhat of a gold standard in trailer tires. It sounds like they are a many ply tire with thick side walls. So my question is. Is it ok to air down these tires down to go on the beach? It is my understanding it's not good to air down thick side wall tires as they require a high psi and will weaken the side wall when deflated. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

IMO, you won't gain enough "footprint" to overcome the additional friction from pulling a soft, un-driven wheel through the sand. I'd leave 'em at road pressure and, maybe, find several lengths of surplus landing mat, some good buddies and lots of beer... ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
I air my g614's to 30 psi at pismo, and still got stuck, closer to 20 and it was fine. Truck was 15-20. Pull a hard turn and the anchor (trailer) will dig in. I ended up making U turns of about 300 feet..
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

psford
Explorer
Explorer
Frank257 wrote:
I have driven the Long Island beaches for many years I've had truck campers and now a 31 ft. 5th wheel. I air down both truck and camper tires to 20 PSI and occasionally 15psi. If you don't air down you will get stuck! Period! I believe your question is if a particular brand of tire will get enough "side wall bulge" to ride on top of the sand. The answer is; if you let enough air out it will. The best tire for the beach will not be the best tire for the highway. You will not ever get a tire manufacture to ok this practice. The flexing of the side wall at low PSI cannot be good for the longevity of the tire. Any compromise of the sidewall will not show itself on the beach, but will at 65mph on the L.I.E.

Do you realize what tire he is talking about ? It's a G rated ST trailer tire either rated for 4050 or 4400 depending on size both 110 psi . Do you think you could air them down to 15-20 psi ?

Frank257
Explorer
Explorer
Which tire? That's the million dollar question. If you follow these forums on tires it'll drive you nutz! LT's,St's,China Bombs,17.5. A lot of debate! No one buys 5th wheel tires specifically for the sand. Air pressure is the key. The tires on your camper have not quite aged out yet and as long as there is no obvious damage to them, I would make a couple beach trips with them. I assume you are a short distance to the beach? Talk to the other campers about what they have. Learn how to maintain your tires and wheel bearings. (We haven't talked about wheel bearings yet! Another Hot topic!) I always cover my tires when the camper sits. Keep correct air pressure in your tires, check them often. Don't damage them by hitting curbs/potholes. Once you have educated yourself a little on tires, you will have a better idea how to spend your money

DCamp84
Explorer
Explorer
Frank257 wrote:
I have driven the Long Island beaches for many years I've had truck campers and now a 31 ft. 5th wheel. I air down both truck and camper tires to 20 PSI and occasionally 15psi. If you don't air down you will get stuck! Period! I believe your question is if a particular brand of tire will get enough "side wall bulge" to ride on top of the sand. The answer is; if you let enough air out it will. The best tire for the beach will not be the best tire for the highway. You will not ever get a tire manufacture to ok this practice. The flexing of the side wall at low PSI cannot be good for the longevity of the tire. Any compromise of the sidewall will not show itself on the beach, but will at 65mph on the L.I.E.

I was really hoping to get a local to chime in. Thank you so much. What tire do you run on your 5er or what would you suggest that would do well on the beach as well as the highway
Pullrite SuperGlide 4100

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I have aired down E rated truck tires for both rocks and sand many times. Never suffered any damage. High speed at low pressure is what causes overheating and sidewall damage.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Frank257
Explorer
Explorer

DCamp84
Explorer
Explorer
psford wrote:
DCamp84 wrote:
psford wrote:
I run my Sailun tires @ 100-105 cold same as my previous G rated tires for nearly 7 years. Has worked okay for me

And you tow on the beach fine ?

Sorry I missed that point, no they are not going to be a great sand tire totally wrong tire to be airing down. Better hope the sand is firm ๐Ÿ™‚

Awesome thank you for the advice !
Pullrite SuperGlide 4100

DCamp84
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
DCamp84 wrote:
I was asking about airing down Sailun camper trailer tires. Are they too stiff to air down as well?

Yes, I know.

The Sailuns people run are commercial truck tires that can be used as trailer tires. That is why they are, what they are.

It is my opinion they are indeed to stiff to air down for sand flotation. I have no idea if they would be damaged at 15-20psi. I think its a great risk with no reward.

Ok great. Thank you exactly what I wanted to know
Pullrite SuperGlide 4100

psford
Explorer
Explorer
DCamp84 wrote:
psford wrote:
I run my Sailun tires @ 100-105 cold same as my previous G rated tires for nearly 7 years. Has worked okay for me

Sorry I missed that point, no they are not going to be a great sand tire totally wrong tire to be airing down. Better hope the sand is firm ๐Ÿ™‚

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem I see is making any type of turn with such low pressure in the Trailer's tires. Granted running in sand would be different than pavement, but I would be worried of rolling the tires right off the rims with anything other than a 40 acre turn. Just a thought, could work out fine, but if not good luck jacking up the rig and remounting a tire.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

DCamp84
Explorer
Explorer
psford wrote:

Pullrite SuperGlide 4100