cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painting interior of brand new camper

tlieder
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a Coleman 1805RB and the first modification we are doing is to paint the interior cabinets and walls white. First, I would love advise on everything from technique to supplies to the name of a great white color paint. Second, is the paint process for this any different since it is a brand new camper and not a used one? Finally, do I just paint right over the wall, and if so, will there be a texture that shows through?

thanks for all the advise!
**2019 Winnebago Minnie Plus 27rbds
25 REPLIES 25

westend
Explorer
Explorer
One of the issues with painting wood doors, drawers, and cabinet faces is that if they're made with an open grain wood like Oak, there will be a rough surface when done with paint. To get a smooth finish aspect, the grain needs to be filled and that can be done with a grain filler before painting.

As suggested previously, visit a local paint store and seek advice on how to proceed. You may have three or more different surfaces to paint and each deserves the best prep for good results.

I do paint for a living, occasionally. I am West of Mpls--Shorewood. You can PM me for a phone number if you think you need consulting, I'm happy to help.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

brookside
Explorer
Explorer
Coleman sells entry level trailers, there will be a plastic like paper over OSB most likely with the cabinets, the doors may be hardwood. If I were going to do this, I would test the whole procedure where it couldn't be easily seen before going ahead. I have seen this go bad and destroy the value of the trailer. A high end trailer with solid wood cabinets wouldn't be a problem, the OSB if it gets wet enough to swell and separate and even if it appears what is underneath has been covered, it can reappear later especially in the sunlight.

I would consider maybe using a Contact sticky back stuff over the paper/plastic area and walls and just painting the drawer and cabinet fronts.
Cathy, Alfred, and Andrew.
Appreciating each day

Alberta_Born
Explorer
Explorer
tlieder wrote:
We just purchased a Coleman 1805RB and the first modification we are doing is to paint the interior cabinets and walls white. First, I would love advise on everything from technique to supplies to the name of a great white color paint. Second, is the paint process for this any different since it is a brand new camper and not a used one? Finally, do I just paint right over the wall, and if so, will there be a texture that shows through?

thanks for all the advise!

Nuvo Cabinet paint.
www.nuvocabinetpaint.com

tlieder
Explorer
Explorer
justafordguy--
that looks so nice!! exactly the look I want!
**2019 Winnebago Minnie Plus 27rbds

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Keystone Outback came with white cabinets and the moment we saw it my wife loved them. They look great and are very easy to keep clean. You'll love them!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
justafordguy - that looks very nice!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
We hated the dark interior of our 5th wheel also so we redid the inside last summer. It is like a beach cottage now instead of a funeral parlor. 😉

We used Glidden "Gripper" primer on the walls and cabinets and the paint is holding up very well so far. X2 on the eggshell for the walls and semi-gloss for the cabinets.

(Moderator edit to fix photo URL's)
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

westend
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimedaniel wrote:
ken56 wrote:
The point of the vinyl covering in the cabinet frame is a good one. It may not stay stuck if it gets wet with paint. The doors on mine are wood but the cabinet frame is vinyl covered which is standard on the average unit. That said, we used the Rustoleum product for cabinets in our home and it came out fantastic. Its labor and time intensive and prep is vital for a good outcome.

X2 Those cabinets are mostly covered with the printed plastic over particle board. While the DOORS might be some light wood the rest will probably be plastic covered. This will NOT take to paint.

I understand your wanting to change from the dark colors these manufacturers put in seemingly all RV's except Airstream.

But you might have to re-think this. Also most of the walls and cabinet sides are thin luan with a plastic printed coating.

Adhesion promoter---visit your local paint store and get some knowledge about painting different surfaces.

If plastic couldn't be painted, we would all have primed and scratched to yellow bumpers (like NYC, lol).
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
The point of the vinyl covering in the cabinet frame is a good one. It may not stay stuck if it gets wet with paint. The doors on mine are wood but the cabinet frame is vinyl covered which is standard on the average unit. That said, we used the Rustoleum product for cabinets in our home and it came out fantastic. Its labor and time intensive and prep is vital for a good outcome.

X2 Those cabinets are mostly covered with the printed plastic over particle board. While the DOORS might be some light wood the rest will probably be plastic covered. This will NOT take to paint.

I understand your wanting to change from the dark colors these manufacturers put in seemingly all RV's except Airstream.

But you might have to re-think this. Also most of the walls and cabinet sides are thin luan with a plastic printed coating.

penguin747
Explorer
Explorer
Could always order an extra piece of wall from manufacturer and have some sections to play with. Might cost you $100 but would definitely give more prep options

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan, white interiors are all the rage now. That's why I purchased a 2015 Winnie TT...before the change from earth tones.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
If you're on Facebook, this is a great group with a lot of experience and feedback for what works and what doesn't.

RV interior ideas
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
tlieder wrote:
Thank you for all the replies!! I will let you know how it goes...a big job, but I love the outcome...pinterest and you tube have so many camper renovations and I love the white interiors....

Since it's your RV AND you like white interiors I say go for it.
Just trying to point out the "other side of the fence" POV:).

westend brought out a good point with the different materials used to finish wood and wood look products.It would be wise to know exactly what the composition is of the casework and doors.
Have fun w/ your new project and be sure to post pictures of the work in progress.

Oh and I'm seconding the use of Kilz primer and stain cover; great stuff.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
It's going to end up look like a hospital with everything being solid white.
Too sterile.

bleh.
Bob