cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Captain Cook state park

Moosehead05
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody been to captain cook state park? If so hows the kayaking and fishing there? Post pics if you got any please,thanks
12 REPLIES 12

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aspunits/kenai/bishopcreek.htm

^^^ if it's live, link to Ak state parks info re Bishop Creek.

"Bishop Creek is a narrow, twisty little body of water that is bordered by a lot of private property and bog. Additionally, as mentioned, there is a plenty of deadfall to deal with. The stream is closed to fishing until 2nd week of June, IIRC. The mouth is always closed to fishing. It is a stream that has long been a favorite of Nikiski folks and, to my knowledge, has never been heavily fished by others... which is good because it can't stand much pressure."

^^^^ From a local....not me, more directly local. FWIW, March of '15 info.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Moosehead05
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
Bishop Creek can be floated with a kayak and the fishing for trout is good.
Does Bishop creek flow into cook inlet?

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Bishop Creek can be floated with a kayak and the fishing for trout is good.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
For a kayak, try the lakes or Kachemak Bay at Homer. Tidal speeds in the upper inlet can reach 15mph. Captain Cook has Stormy Lake.

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
Moosehead05 wrote:
near the end of kenai spur road, north of kenai
, cook inlet, I was wondering if it would be worth going there?

Thanks you sir. and good fishing in your future!
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

Moosehead05
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the help guys, I am pretty experienced kayaker, lots of time in the atlantic off New England, sounds like a place to be real weary of conditions.looking forward to fishing up there!!

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Captain Cook Rec Area is listed as 35 miles (IIRC) from somewhere on the Sterling before you get to Kenai and (as noted on the website) circa 25 miles from Kenai.....It's a long and slow-feeling 25 or 35 miles.

Ditto on the tides and as the website says "Boating in Cook Inlet is not recommended." Undertows, fast-moving tides, and more than a few spots where the mud can trap you. Lots of folks do boat in Cook Inlet (including moi), but put some careful thought into your put-in / takeout spots and times and work the tides. You DO NOT want a long walk across the mudflats if you take out on low tide; people have been killed due to this, although not many at the recreation area. Cook Inlet (generally) can be deceptive regarding "calm". Can look calm and be calm but there can also be rough spots that you can't identify until you are "in" them and it can be a real PITA to get through. Went out of Deep Creek one time in my then 24' RIB....smooth enough going out, rollers at the fishing spot and (all without apparent clues) rougher than a cob coming back in...navigated by heading since I lost sight of land in some of the troughs. Learning experience for sure.

And...vis-a-vis the "300 pounder": that had to be a halibut, not a salmon; even for a recreational halibut, 300#'s is a kick-*** fish and worthy of congratulations.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the web site.... be careful of the tides there. They roll in fast.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/captcook.htm
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
To answer you questions, YES. I assume you mean is kayaking in Cook Inlet good, it's pretty calm and I've seen two man rubber boats used at Deep Creek St. Park which is pretty close. Fishing in the Inlet is usually excellent. Depends on time and tides, when the salmon are running watch out for being tired from hauling them in. I know a 110 lb woman who caught a 300 pounder up near there. Her husband started Deep Creek Fish Club.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Moosehead05
Explorer
Explorer
Captain Cook State Recreation Area is the correct name

Moosehead05
Explorer
Explorer
near the end of kenai spur road, north of kenai
, cook inlet, I was wondering if it would be worth going there?

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
Where is that State Park??
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse